Early Stewart & Clark Speedometer Mileage Recorder

pint4

I have had this old speedometer on my shelf for more years than I can remember.  I always wanted to know what car had this speedometer on it.  The speedometer is made of brass outer shell (has some dents)and on the face it says "Model 11".  It has a bracket so it looks like it was mounted on the dash or somewhere and probably extended outward so the driver could see it.  It only goes up to a top speed of 60 mph and that was my reasoning for thinking it was used on an early car but not sure what make or model.  Always wondered about it.  The attached pics will probably tell more about it than I can describe.  Thanks.

20160423_174648.jpg

20160423_174614.jpg

20160423_174745.jpg

Definitely quite early, I would guess circa 1910. These are not generally specific to any one make. Most cars were sold without speedo's {and tops and windshields and even lights}, and the buyer could have his dealer install such accessories as desired. And many were sold a considerable time after the car was sold new.  One of our spedo. experts probably can narrow down when Model 11's were on the market.

Greg in Canada

Greg, thanks for the insight.  I did not realize speedometers did not come with the early cars.  My car collection is primarily 1930's with one exception so I assumed cars always had speedometers. I agree the Model Number will nail done the years when this speedometer was used.   A top end of 60 mph is not fast by today's standards.  Bob

The article Fleek has pointed out mentions the serial # as being a guide to dating some model 11's.  I believe it is the small stamped numbers  visible in your pictures, just above STEWART on the face of the speedo. They are too faint in the photo to read well: but I think they read  M 16385, can you confirm ?  That would indicate either early 1920's or previous to 1910 , I suppose both dates are possible.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)