1917 Help ID License Plate on Automobile

I have a real photo postcard of a scene with a large group of people gathered. I know the card is from 1917, but I can't figure out why everyone is standing around and also where it is taking place. I am hoping  someone can ID the license plate that will give me a starting point. Thanks in advance.  The number appears to be PS108

licplate1.jpg

licplate2.jpg

Edited by captainsimos (see edit history)

Now this is just a guess, but the scene looks very much like a dignitary coming into town for a visit.  It could be the President passing through or some other high ranking official.   The proverbial "whistle stop tour".  

The presidential election about that time was 1916 with Woodrow Wilson winning.

17 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Whistle Stop Tours usually had the dignitary on a fancy caboose. this train is too plain plus it's not the center of attention. People are on the train roof looking away.

Agree on the train not arriving yet.  The tracks in the middle of the picture appear to be vacant of people.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

1917 is the year that the US entered WWI on behalf of the allies. This was before Sgt Alvin York's heroic action (1918), so it couldn't be a hero's welcome for him. But it could have had something to do with seeing the troops off to war. 

• 2 months later...