Convertible rear speakers

Jim

All of the speakers in my convertible were shot. The rears are a 4X10. I had two on the shelf from a parts car but in looking at them one was good and one was not.
I then looked on Ebay for 4X10 10 ohm speakers and found some high prices. I then put the P/N  16040950 into Google and the first site I looked at gave me all the cars/trucks  where GM used these speakers.
With that knowledge I went to my local junk yard and found two like new speakers for $ 5 each.
The ones I got were from a van and the speakers were mounted in the upper rear corners of the van.
That site was   http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/16040950.html

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Jim,

Good info there for inexpensive replacmenet option. I will say this though, Delco speakers were never anything special and the 4x10 form factor is not notable for great frequency response;  especially in the low end. I opted for a pair of Kenwoods that were under $100 when I purchased them, and still found the low end response lacking, especially with the top down. Ended up adding a compact powered subwoofer (as Dave did in his cars) to put some oomph into the sound. 

I suspect one could use newer Delco 4x10s with an added subwoofer and achieve nearly identical results to what I did with the Kenwood/sub combo at a reduced cost. Just don't expect great sound from 4x10 speakers, stock or aftermarket. A shame they didn't design a better sized speaker into the rear on the roadsters, but 6x9's would have eaten even more of the limited storage bin capacity.

Barney,

most of these dealer online catalogs will show a description and price for nearly any valid GM part number, as though it is available for order.  If you actually order an unavailable or discontinued part, it will even take the order to completion. However, you will receive a follow-up email that the part is not available and the order will be subsequently cancelled. Point being  not to get too excited about it showing the accumulator. That is simply the database returning a result on the queried part. It is possible they may have a NOS one still sitting, but unlikely at this point due to most dealer stocks having been exhausted when it was discovered the part was discontinued a while back. The part number and pricing remains in the catalog,  though it should really state it is NLA. Speaking from experience on this.