TIps,tricks,advice for Exterior Brake Band adjustment ?

I have a late 1925 G70.  I am ready to reinstall all the brake components after rebuild. I've read the owners manual on adjusting the brakes-using feeler gages.

Can you folks that have experience with the Lockheed hydraulic exterior brake band system, offer up some tips and or tricks for installation, filling the system with brake fluid,

and doing the band adjustments ?  Every component , fitting and line was removed. I know how and where it all bolts back up. I never had to fill a completely dry brake system.

It looks like I have to work thru the wood wheel spokes to adjust the band adjusting nuts and use the feeler gages.  Any advice , tips , tricks, ect would be great !

Thanks, Cricket 

Hi Cricket,

I too am restoring a 1926 G70, but haven't looked at the brakes yet but I had a model 52 with the same sort of brakes. When you assemble the bands onto the back plates, start by adjusting the gap with a feeler guage at the anchor point midway between the two ends, then tighten the two ends until you have an even gap all around. A slight drag is OK. To adjust the end nuts, I ended up cutting a wrench in half, so that I had a short spanner to work with between the spokes.

When putting in the brake fluid, start by filling the reservoir and don't put on the cap with the "T" handle, you cannot bleed this system like a modern car. Then open a bleed valve at the rear wheel furthest away (you may want to even remove the bleed nipple) and wait for the fluid to run out, then tighten the bleed nipple and repeat for the other rear cylinder and each wheel cylinder. Next, push the brake pedal by hand slowly up and down a few times, this will purge any air in the system between the master cyl and reservoir. Next put the cap on the reservoir and push down the "t" handle and screw it down. You should have brakes of some sort. If they are spungy, press the pedal a few times, release the "T" handle and leave the car to stand a day. Next day try pushing the pedal up and down a few times slowly, then tighten down "T" handle and see if brakes are better. If not then repeat bleeding thw wheel cyl's as before.

Note the brakes do not  compare with modern brakes and you will find them severely compromised when driving in heavy rainy conditions, allow distance for stopping.

Also you may find after some driving, that the pedal gets soft, simply open the "T" handle, depress the pedal slowly a few times and relock the handle. This you have to do, as there is NO  non return valve or automatic fluid top up on these systems.

Regards

Viv.