Parting 53 thru 56 Buicks

MrEarl

5 minutes ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Just curious, but is a 53 power brake master cylinder identical with ones that came with 55 Buicks?  Thanks.

55 was a one year deal. 53 and 54 close to the same, most parts interchange. Then 56 went into the firewall with hinged pedals.

3 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

Lamar

Thanks for the response. I will measure the overall length of the tranny in my '57 later next week and we can compare.

Gary

Greetings the 57 stick trans rear bearig retainer/tailhousing is much longer than privious years. They also made a stronger gearset for the larger engine that 57 year which doesnt interchange with earlier, so if looking 4 a spare trans, 57-58 are direct bolt in. Have to check books 4 later, but those late 59-60 are near henz-teeth rare anyway. I have a couple 57-8 parts stick trans, but no bolt in and go stick tranys 57 58.pix if needed.

Mr Earl: I might be interested in buying the 53 Power Brake stuff. But 53 is the year the Buick dealers quietly replaced the dangerous original setup with an improved version from a different manufacturer. Maybe you know all this, I'm strictly "internet educated" in this regard. But if it is the replacement cylinder, I need it if nobody else does. Thanks, my email is beaverbikes at gmail dot com.

On 5/8/2016 at 7:34 PM, g-g-g0 said:

So if I understand, I need to find a tranny out of a 57/58 for a direct bolt in? Probably over kill on my part but just looking for a spare.

Yes, 57-58 stick trans are a bolt for bolt match, but as rare as they are you might have a bit of a time finding one "ready to run" so to speak. I've only fond acouple of parts units after a lot of years looking! Good luck, hope you find some. Unless you mess-up shifting or beat on it, I can't see that heavy-duty thing failing very soon, especially if it's the typical low miles driven per year collector car.

1 hour ago, 2carb40 said:

Yes, 57-58 stick trans are a bolt for bolt match, but as rare as they are you might have a bit of a time finding one "ready to run" so to speak. I've only fond acouple of parts units after a lot of years looking! Good luck, hope you find some. Unless you mess-up shifting or beat on it, I can't see that heavy-duty thing failing very soon, especially if it's the typical low miles driven per year collector car.

Thanks for the info. Have to take it easy dumping the clutch when setting next to some kid in a "zoom zoom" at a traffic light! 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2016 at 9:20 PM, leon bee said:

Mr Earl: I might be interested in buying the 53 Power Brake stuff. But 53 is the year the Buick dealers quietly replaced the dangerous original setup with an improved version from a different manufacturer. Maybe you know all this, I'm strictly "internet educated" in this regard. But if it is the replacement cylinder, I need it if nobody else does. Thanks, my email is beaverbikes at gmail dot com.

I'll dig it out and see what it is. I'm familiar with the factory recall of 53 brakes of which you speak. The 54 fix wasn't a lot better.

14 hours ago, 56buickinga said:

I'm in need of some 56 Buick turn signals. One housing passenger side and both lenses. When I took them Off to paint they walked away.  Does the Buick garden have a set? Don't need perfection just driver quality.

forgive my memory, tha's for a Century?

and it's not the bee stings itself that hurts so,  but rather the bumps, scrapes, torn shirt and stuff you get while trying to crawl out from underneath the rearend of the car whlist your head is getting covered by the little blacksonsabitches.

• Like 4

On May 7, 2016 at 11:20 AM, g-g-g0 said:

I might be able to do the "U Pull it" some time later this year. I agree that the '57 Special transmission is the heavier 6 Bolt?? that was used in 54 up. Would you part with one of those? Also do you have a junk wheel from a 54 thru 56 40 series or 54 thru 55 50/60 series? I need just the "snap in" clips (5 of them) that hold dog dish hub caps on. They do not have a rivet in them. There is a hole in the clip that fits over a dimple in the wheel.

So Lamar, hope things have quieted down with the wasps! Reminds me of the time when I was getting some parts for a '57 Chev panel truck I had years ago. Was at a junk yard north of Memphis and this big black fellar was under a truck getting a part for me when he rilled up a nest of bumble bees! Poor fellar did't have any under wear on and the bees got down in the seat of his bib overhauls! Never seen a fellar that big run and dance that fast!

Any way with all the fun you are having can you help me with the hub cap clips mentioned above? Also I would be interested in the PS set up and could help pull it in the fall.

Gary

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I'll dig it out and see what it is. I'm familiar with the factory recall of 53 brakes of which you speak. The 54 fix wasn't a lot better.

No hurry whatsoever. My car has the replacement setup, which I am using without one small part which was busted. Works okay, but I should have a backup. Thanks!

On 5/9/2016 at 11:37 AM, g-g-g0 said:

So Lamar, hope things have quieted down with the wasps! Reminds me of the time when I was getting some parts for a '57 Chev panel truck I had years ago. Was at a junk yard north of Memphis and this big black fellar was under a truck getting a part for me when he rilled up a nest of bumble bees! Poor fellar did't have any under wear on and the bees got down in the seat of his bib overhauls! Never seen a fellar that big run and dance that fast!

Any way with all the fun you are having can you help me with the hub cap clips mentioned above? Also I would be interested in the PS set up and could help pull it in the fall.

Gary

On 5/9/2016 at 11:37 AM, g-g-g0 said:

Gary

No clips I want to get shed of Gary, considering beauty rings and caps on my Special some day.  Would look forward to a visit and spending a few hours with you turning wrenches and grunting.

On 5/9/2016 at 2:54 PM, leon bee said:

No hurry whatsoever. My car has the replacement setup, which I am using without one small part which was busted. Works okay, but I should have a backup. Thanks!

Here is what I have leon bee. Not sure which it is. Yours for $40 plus shipping if you can use it, or anybody else if leon doesn't want it.

IMG_8115.JPGIMG_8116.JPGIMG_8117.JPG

On 5/9/2016 at 5:22 PM, 56buickinga said:

Special model 43

Sorry to be so long Jon, but can't help you.

Mr. Earl: I greatly appreciate you dragging the brake parts out into the light and posting pics. That setup must be the original put in the 53 Roadmasters. Mine has the one dealers changed them to, and it seems quite different. I can't remember which brand was which. So, I better not buy that stuff because internal parts likely all different. Thanks again!!

No problem leon bee, but just think for $40 you could own a bit of Buick "1953 Brake Campaign"  and "Ralph Nader-Unsafe at any speed" history. :D

Me thinks the first units were Kelsey Hayes and they changed to Delco-Moraine in late '53. They both relied on air compression from the engine.  Then in '54 they added the little electric air pump that would take over if the engine died going down the road Problem was the little electric air pump would burn out if you left the ignition on too long without the engine running,  so half the time that didn't work either. Or somethin like that. 

Thanks for lookin though:)

19 hours ago, leon bee said:

...That setup must be the original put in the 53 Roadmasters. Mine has the one dealers changed them to, and it seems quite different. I can't remember which brand was which. So, I better not buy that stuff because internal parts likely all different...

Correcto Mundo. The picture of what's left of Mr. Earl's Power Brake Cylinder is the early Kelsey-Hayes Model 6 C-100 that was campaigned in January, 1954, well-after all the 1953 Buicks left the factory. Certain internal parts were either replaced or an improved (?) PBC version by Delco-Moraine (MORVAC) was installed. PBCs are identifiable by the different profiles of the PBC housing's front cover and the rear brake master cylinder. If your Roadmaster was built after October 1, 1953, you should have the factory-installed electric-powered vacuum pump for your Power Brake setup.

There is a member in the '53-'54 BUICK SKYLARK CLUB that has designed/manufactures a replaceable PBC for the 1953/1954 Buicks that gets installed in the original location (on the frame, below the Driver's seat)  with minimal re-work, and is advertised as having replaceable parts available from your FLAPS. If you are interested in his name, contact info, or price, shoot me a PM. I have seen one that a Skylark friend of mine just bought but hasn't installed it yet. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"   

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you are talking about just the chrome ring, that I should be able to help with Craig. But just so you know, those are pretty common and interchange from 1940 thru '54. Even interchange with Olds, Pontiac and Chevy. PM me if still interested.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Earl I would be interested in and am seeking parts for a 53 2dr roadmaster.

Missing the "V" from front hood ornament

and other parts from the front grille area, the curves at end of mustache bar L/R.

wondering if you have a list posted or I maybe I could just send you a list of things I am seeking

• 2 weeks later...