WTB gas tank / Repaired thank all .

ArticiferTom

Any reputable tin shop could make a tank for you, probably cost a few hundred dollars.  The shop I dealt with, asked them to make a gas tank, they said no, can't make a gas tank, too much liability.  I said OK, I need a water tank made.  SURE they said, water tanks are no problem!!

Thanks 30 Dodge , I did see gas tank.com  also found a company tanks inc  . They had Dodge tanks starting at 1933-34 coupes and sedans  . They where just a little to long . But your PM of 20's Ford tank might fit in perimeters . Would have to close a few holes and add my parts . But price is reasonable . 

I have mine at radiator shop getting it priced for repair and rebuild . If not reasonable ,I have a fab shop that I can take it to and might just cut whole top out and solder new on . I'll probably seal it then, while open ,it can be sand blasted for good cleaning .

I think the tin shop is your best bet. I had a tank built for my '36 Dodge years ago by a local shop. They did a great job, put in the baffle and all the correct connections. It was made from galvanized steel with rolled and soldered seams just like original and it fit perfectly. Cost around $ 350 at the time but it's brand new! The guy never said a thing about liability but this was several years ago.

IMG18.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well ,finial got info back last week on repairing my tank from the radiator shop .  They said could not fix and had fab shop price to build new was $725.00 . JPage, you got a deal !  So Iam now looking at cleaning myself . As I found a lady in welding shop that specializes in gas tank repair welding . She does not clean so must have it  ready when dropped off . Attached are pics of after flushing and then after scraping the old coating, did back in 1990's . I believe the top coat separated ,dropped and caused rusting behind coating . and the rest alligator-ed, cracked ,but is clean under .

20160511_080510.jpg20160511_080631.jpg

Update , another problem solved .  With a very special thanks to Wyobob for his offer, but design did not match . Installed tonight testing over weekend . Delay was cause of handling other coolant problems , as had temp can hooked up was not priority .

Cleaned tank out with electrolysis after scalping . Finished with a little Naval Jelly . Then had top welded on . Welder said it was a challenge at the overlap joint at edge solder melted causing leaks so had to re-solder  that and drain which was original soldered in . Did weld pickup tube support leg to bottom and also loose baffle . When around edges with some epoxy to dress up ,even thought not visible . Cost repair 75 plus another 30 in fuel to and from and paint . Pic of tank done and inside . 20160707_175311.jpg20160707_175917.jpg