NC Region Cruise to Hillsborough

AnniesSS

Yesterday, the North Carolina Region hosted a Cruise to Hillsborough.  We all met up at the Shops at Daniel Boone Village where we learned the history of this location from the Granddaughter of the original owner.  There was once an ice skating rink there, George Washington slept in one of the buildings, that was once in the northern part of NC, and is now a Mexican restaurant.  I believe there was a toboggan track also.  We then took a walking tour of the Occoneechee Speedway Trail which was a dirt track used from 1948-68.  All that's left is the concrete stands, the announcer's booth, and the flag stand.  You can still see some of the banked turns, but there are so many trees that have grown in that it's kind of obscured. 

The weather was beautiful and I believe we had around 26 vehicles at the event!  Enjoy the photos :)

I raced at Hillsborough in 1965 and 66 in the old Grand National Division of NASCAR. That was a great race track, 9/10 mile dirt track. Also, I believe it is one of only 3 race tracks on the National Historic Regester, Indy, Bonneville Salt Flats and Hillsborough. This property was intended to be the site of what is now Talladega but Bill France had problems with the locals, I think  zoning issues so he moved his operation to Alabama. 

Edited by real61ss (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I only have this one photo that was taken in either 1963 or 64. The car in this photo was a 1962 Pontiac driven by Worth McMillion, I worked on his crew and he later had two cars, I drove his second car. If you can imagine, this photo was taken from the pit area looking out towards the race track, those are the old grand stands on the right of the picture. Things have really changed in NASCAR in the past 30 or 40 years but I could not beleive the changes in that old race track, we last raced there in 1968, today there are trees as much as 24" in dia. growing in the race track. There is a river running along the back straight away, there also was no guard rail around the track, I can remember seeing guys run across the race track during the race to get a bucket of water for a race car that had run hot. Lots of memories from that place.

Note, that is Hall of Famer, Cotton Owens in the lower right corner of the photo.

# 83 car.png

• Like 1

Hillsborough and Curtis Turner! Reading a Turner bio now, it is the track he chose to go to sign his new NASCAR license after his Ban from NASCAR racing. The track is mentioned often a lot of History there. 

• Like 1

Wow, that's tremendous!  Tommy, hope you give a talk someday about your racing history - maybe an evening on the divisional tour? 

Tell me more about what became of the cars there at Daniel Boone village?  Used to be quite a neat stop as the place was all antique shops, and the cars were fantastic brass era, including an 03 Caddy, and more.   It was always a stop on the way to the Charlotte auto fair, but there ins't much there now.  On one visit It seemd the cars were disappearing with only a couple of them left.  One of the antique shop owners told us someone came in at the right time and bought the whole collection cheap. 

it would be great to have the details.

thanks,

Terry

• Like 1

I don't remember what the granddaughter said about all of the cars, but some are still there.  She did mention that about 31 of the cars in the collection were used in the making of the film "The Color Purple". 

I am heading to Burlington Wednesday to race at Piedmont Dragway next Friday and Saturday. for a Buick National event. I see it is not far from Hillsborough. If I have some time on Thursday I will take a ride to try and check it out. 

IMG_0260.jpg