170+

jonlabree

Was at a Dodge dealership the other day (looking at a truck with my brother - for him, not me) and they had a Challenger RT Shaker in the showroom. Man, that thing could tear up some road. Think it had a 180 speedo, but didn't look that closely. I know it had Z rated tires. Better have a good lawyer riding shotgun if you plan on opening that up.

I have tried a few times and pretty much maxed out at 114-115 MPH. Approx, 185 KPH.

That was in a 90 coupe on the way to the Nationals in Seattle.

Got pulled over 1/2 an hour later only doing 75 so he let us go.

Someone must have phoned us in.

There sure was a lot of turf and dust flying when the cop did a u-turn across the meridian.

Things you never forget.

Cal.

Have a fond memory of a FHP in a 440 Dodge blowing by and shifting as he passed. I was doing 70.

Have only been over 200 in a car once - GT40 in 1967. Florida has always had interesting cars.

I liked the 85 mph speedos. Easy to read below and above I was watching the tach anyway.

Always looked at the tach first. Back in the day that was the way to tell what enging a parked Corvette had.

Redline was part of the reason I bought the GTP.

redline.jpg

Hit a little over 120 a few times in my good 88, once in my 91 coupe. Takes a bit of effort to get it there. Had my 95 Deville to 124 once; top speed limiter is apparently 125 but couldn't quite hit it as I was running out of straight flat road. That is awfully damn fast, and I'm not all that comfortable driving at those speeds due to the multiplier effect on any tactical faux pas. That and the consequences of getting clocked and busted. It's a straight trip to the nick for doing those speeds pretty much anywhere. 

Times I exceeded the ton were not on public roads. Reattas are a little underpowered but three of my 6s exceed 200 hp and one is 290. Judge has lots more but 3.55, 1:1 top, and a 5200 rpm redline is not a high speed car. Did touch 100 on a half mile roundy round track once upon a time (.sig photo)

In another lifetime I held SCCA National, FIA, and IMSA licenses.

The incident Jon is referring to happened a few days ago on a highway a few miles north of Duluth.

A new Camaro was clocked by a local cop going that 173. The cop gave him a ticket for careless driving. The local newspaper did a little investigating before writing the story and said Road and Track magazine says that car has a top speed of 166.

So Jon, to answer your question completely, no it was not me.

My fastest car only goes about 100 top speed but gets there really fast.

It is the same one you had considered buying from me but I painted and am going to keep it for a long time.

IMG_1594.JPG

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

"The fastest known speeding ticket was issued in May 2003 in Texas. The motorist was operating a Koenigseggs CCR, a Swedish sports car and was allegedly going 242 mph (389 km/hr) in a 75 mph zone. The driver was arrested and his sport car was towed."

Jim, That car still looks good to me. But like I told you I would end up in jail if I bought it.

I had a new 64 fulie Vet (3.08 gear) that I had up to 150+ on the old highway in Wisconsin that goes to Duluth.

Clocked at 100 plus by the highway patrol.

my 61 vet was clocked at 130 on the same road.

Edited by 63viking (see edit history)

Jon,

Sort of the same for  me.

I had a '65 Corvette with 3.23 gears and one day we were in South Dakota near Mt Rushmore and a Camaro came down the ramp and went by me so I followed. He got up to 135 and when I saw he could go no faster I passed him. Mine would go 140 tops.

The '50 Chev is a built 427 with the Dyers SC. It has 5 inch side exhaust with basically no mufflers so I do get on it a lot, but my concern is I will get picked up because it is so loud. When I drive into Duluth from my home, about 20 miles, I wear ear plugs.

Padgett, Like you I also had a '70 GTO and that car had 3.90 gears. I used to have a lot of fun racing the Mopar people as they are a special group and I would always beat the Road Runners and GTXs

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure anything over 100 gets you arrested in Ohio.

I don't usually feel comfortable over 100 anyway. My top speed was 128 in a BMW Z3 and it felt like it had more to go, but I didn't! :)

As I get older, I like to think I'm getting wiser as well and don't do such things anymore. Maybe someday, I'll get to a point where I don't care and maybe that process will reverse.  :)

Guest Corvanti

in NC, anything 15 mph over the speed limit "may" get you arrested - usually not unless there's another violation like DWI (automatic trip to the pokey, of course) or someone that needs an attitude adjustment. if just cited, the court fines & costs are very high and your car insurance will skyrocket or be cancelled if the speed was outrageous.

the fastest i've ever gone was when i was a mere yout' in So-Cal. 115+ in my '68 Datsun Fairlady 2000 Roadster. she had more left in her, but i was coming up on a traffic light. i was tempted many times when i had Corvettes to see what they could do but resisted the urge. plus the State Troopers here have no qualms busting a fellow Law Enforcement Officer...

• 1 month later...