Passey Estate Sale

Linus Tremaine

I would like to invite all of you to attend the estate sale of Jack Passey. We have slowly been selling off parts and tools since jack passed away last august. We must clear out the remaining parts. Anyone in the bay area of california is welcome. It is going to be on april 30th starting at 8am. The address is 425 Hecker Pass (highway 152) in watsonville. The driveway is a little hard to find. It is at the top end of a pull out on the west side of the highway about one mile up from the bottom of the hill. There will be a sign. Drive down towards the house, keep left and go to the barn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steamsilly

Linus;  Thanks for the information.  I plan to attend the sale, but wonder if anyone involved with it can tell me if there are any cast aluminum body panels, related literature or photos of the 1912-13 Pierce-Arrow chassis that Jack purchased from the Harrah collection years ago?  He sold it to Bob Robinson in Fresno and I am the current owner.  Two of the original touring doors came with the chassis and I was able to trade for the third one, but have been unable to locate the fourth.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Jeff

Ron restored many cars since the 50s until he passed with Pierce being his passion. Peter restored a customers Pierce in 2011 and runs Ron's restoration shop with Art Carty. The six Pierces were being done at his very large private shop at home where he held his collection of cars. I remember seeing a Pierce bus he restored there years ago also. http://www.fawcettmotors.com/projectcars.html

Ron closed his movie car business and auctioned off over 400 cars, armoured cars and trucks, fire trucks what you see in movies mostly 50s to 80s all before he passed. But he kept the early stuff except a few that went . One of many of Ron's cars and your top maybe, Peter is keeping that is not one of the six cars I believe. 

2014-05-10 vintage tour 001.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Steamsilly

Thanks to everyone for their helpful input.  I live in central California and had the chance to meet and speak with the elder Mr. Fawcett at the  Bakersfield swap meets.  It always amazed me that he made the trip from his home to California in under three day's driving time!  I am working on 1912-13 Pierces and was informed by another collector that sets of foundry patterns were in the possession of Mr. Peter Fawcett, in addition to the body which he has listed on the HCCA website.  I contacted him and learned that he does not have what I require.  

The Pierce 66 may have been capable of high speeds, but.....

Henry and Pauline Becker used to drive their 66 from Florida to every Pierce Arrow Society national meet, for over 30 years, no matter where in the country it was being held.

I remember the late Mr. Becker saying that the car was happiest at about 46 miles per hour, and he planned the trips accordingly.

That car now lives at the AACA museum, Mrs. Becker donated it after Henry left us......  I'm happy it has a good home, at the same time, sad that it won't be making any more cross country trips.....

AACA_Museum-1917_Pierce_Arrow_Model_66.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Steamsilly

I attended a couple of the Pierce-Arrow annual meets, at which the Beckers and their "66" attended, and was amazed that someone would drive their car that far to attend.  If I recall, Mr. Becker would drive with the driver's side door opened a few inches, to improve air flow in the front seat area.  I suppose that you understand that the centrally located headlamps were used to conform with New York State law, in that the fender-mounted lights were illegal there.  There were rumors of early motorcyclists attempting to drive between the widely-spaced lights on the Pierce-Arrows, in the belief that  they would be passing between two fellow motorcyclists.  Perhaps this was the rationale for the New York law?