1956 4 Door Super

Wooly15

Well, as of today I'm a new Buick owner. Brought home my 56 super. Very solid car but definitely needs some attention to make it road worthy. The interior is rough but it runs and drives. It's been sitting for a year so the carb, brakes and points need some work. So far, I love it. Looks like the prior owner put a 12v battery in it without converting anything else. What kind of problems can I expect from him running it like that for a few years? The only gauges that work are the amp and oil pressure. All lights but brake lights work. Can I leave that 12v battery in without issues? Anyway, thanks for having me! Glad to be here!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is a classy looking Buick!  I love it!   Buicks are negative ground electrical systems and 12 volts from 53 thereafter. So its the right battery. 

How long did you run the engine for the temp gauge to move?  As a manual gauge it should begin to show movement within 3- 5 minutes.  But sometimes those systems can be brittle and the tube can crack which ruins it.  The good news is it can be fixed.  There are vendors who specialize in this.  The other good news is sometimes you can still find these new old stock.   You should try to buy a shop manual.  There is so much great information in there.

The gas gauge has been the subject of discussion here.  It seems to be a common issue amongst the 54-56 Buicks.  Most folks start by dropping the tank and replacing the sender.  These can be purchased new.  The other issue is continuity within the gauge itself.  The sender unit in the gas tank is an easier place to start. and do not overlook the condition of the wiring.  If the insulation is cracked it may be grounding out and causing a false reading on the gauge.  

Also, the factory set up is for a metal gas line all the way to the sender. Although the tank is grounded to the floor of the trunk, it may be helpful to run a extra ground wire between a bolt holding the sender unit to the tank and a convenient self tapping screw to floor pan. 

Good luck with this beauty.  Always glad to try and answer any questions.   

• Like 2