oil pump check

truth

what is the best way to test an oil pump   i have the pan  off and oil pump pick up in oil but not picking up  ive been hand cranking only     is that not enough rpm"s?  ive tried 30 wt oil and 20/50 wght  my next attempt is to buy a battery and crank it but i dont think that will be much different   its on a 1916 -17 18 fiat   9 litre motor [4 cyl]  is there a good way to test an oil pump while on motor  before i take it apart?

I probably wouldn't be trying that. If there is a tight suction line and the clearance tolerances in the pump are OK it should be fine. The tightness of all the components in the distribution system and lubrication points would be my concern. If I was really driven to verify the system I would connect and oil supply to a main oil gallery through a plug or the like and pressurize the system while watching for excessive flows in all areas. If oil was gushing from a bearing or internal galley I would double check the assembly or clearance.

A side stream oil filter can and compressed air through a PRV would work fine.

We used to hand crank a Rolls-Royce PII to prelube after winter storage. Three guys would take turns for half and hour to 45 minutes. All we wanted to see was a slight movement of the oil pressure gauge. And that is all we ever saw.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Great! With 20 PSI and no obvious red flags; you should be good.

Most old cars that get put away for decades don't end up that way intentionally so and oil changes prior to storage probably didn't happen. The acids commonly found in engine oil can slightly etch the bearing surfaces over time. The first running of the engine can wipe a half a thousandths to one thousandth of bearing surface off the journal face. You might want to do the test again after running. If you watch closely you can take up any looseness before it causes damage. Removing shims or draw filing the cap works. Just be aware and ready to drop the pan to inspect a second time.

You can also "sound out" the rods by tapping them. I have used a 1/2" socket extension and a light hammer against the rod cap. The loose ones make an obvious thud.

Bernie