Dunkirk, NY Swap Meet

crazycars

We're looking for new antique auto flea market territory somewhat in our area. Any of you ever attended Dunkirk?  Just curious on your impressions.

Attended Hershey last fall, hadn't been in 18 years,  and have to admit, it was kind of disappointing.

I have missed the last three years of Dunkirk but always like going. Since I don't know what you were disappointed in at Hershey I can't say if you would like Dunkirk (never been disappointed in Hershey). When I was going I was about 3 hours away and considered it worth the trip, if I had to travel a lot further than that I would probably skip it. I usually covered it in about 3 hours or so. Has some inside/undercover spaces that get very popular when it rains. Weather is variable in May in Western NY close to Lake Ontario. I went years where I was hot in a short sleeve shirt and other years I was cold in a heavy Winter coat (not unlike Hershey in October).

3 hours ago, crazycars said:

We're looking for new antique auto flea market territory somewhat in our area. Any of you ever attended Dunkirk?  Just curious on your impressions.

Attended Hershey last fall, hadn't been in 18 years,  and have to admit, it was kind of disappointing.

Hershey was disappointing?  Were you perhaps there on

Saturday, after many vendors had closed and the public

had gone to the car show?  Or maybe you had a bad space

that didn't get much foot traffic?  Your insights might help

improve the show.

For the most part, I don't think any large swap meet will compare to Hershey,

and people come from across the ocean to attend.

I haven't been to Dunkirk for a long time, but others should

be able to describe their experiences.

Don't get me wrong, if you're a fellow antique car nut, nothing is better than Hershey, however, I found this past fall meet to be a much smaller event with significantly fewer vendors, fewer 20's and 30's parts and a virtual ghost town on Saturday. Many vendors even left on Friday despite decent weather.  I was there to buy stuff and enjoy the whole event, I wasn't a dealer.

Saturdays have been a ghost town for years. Even if you go back 30+ years there was not much business done on Saturday. Pulling out on Friday when the sun is shining I admit I don't understand. The flea market pretty much goes Wednesday through sometime on Friday depending on weather. Since I wasn't looking for 20s and 30s parts I can't comment on that but I would say the number of filled spaces wasn't that much different than the last few years. Too many empty spots so lots of extra walking but still a huge amount of stuff to look at.

Did you stop by Saturday?   I'm always one of the last to "slow-pack" following the car show on Sat.  Usually have a few visitors - I don't want it to end, but admit it's largely over with by the time the Show Cars begin drawing all the attention.  Saw lots of good early brass era stuff on Sat as I was walking back to my spaces after judging finished.   See me in front of Giant Center, across from the crab cake vendor.  If I'm not there I'm out trying to buy sumptin!

Terry

• 1 month later...

the Model T club form has a few pics from Dunkirk and some discussion.  Looks pretty much yard-sale but apparently there were a few "discoveries" among the trash.  Guess we just need to learn to hold our nose and keep moving on at some of these events.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/644437.html?1464047238