1947 Chrysler Windsor

Guest markrush

My  6 cyl. '48 was the same. I had to pump and pump the accelerator and use carb cleaner to start it if it sat for any length of time. Then after starting it one day, I saw a lot of gas leaking out of the fuel pump. I shut it off immediately. I replaced the fuel pump and it started fine after that. I think the gasket was slowly leaking for a long time and the gas was leaking out of the supply line. There is a place that restores the original fuel pumps, which are no longer available, so do not throw yours out. If you are in a hurry, you can get the glass bowl type from Andy Berbaum. It adapts with the exchange of one screw in the pump. It will be obvious.

On 4/1/2016 at 0:11 PM, markrush said:

My  6 cyl. '48 was the same. I had to pump and pump the accelerator and use carb cleaner to start it if it sat for any length of time. Then after starting it one day, I saw a lot of gas leaking out of the fuel pump. I shut it off immediately. I replaced the fuel pump and it started fine after that. I think the gasket was slowly leaking for a long time and the gas was leaking out of the supply line. There is a place that restores the original fuel pumps, which are no longer available, so do not throw yours out. If you are in a hurry, you can get the glass bowl type from Andy Berbaum. It adapts with the exchange of one screw in the pump. It will be obvious.

Thank you for your reply,  I have checked the pump for leaks & everything looks dry. I know that some previous posts talked about evaporation of the fuel in the carb bowl. I can agree with that if the car is left for a week or so but in my case it wont start without a lot of cranking if it has been left overnight ?

20 hours ago, 47windsor said:

Jack,

I checked the fuel pump (which has a glass bowl) & the bowl is full of gas-- if it was leaking back to the tank would the bowl be partially empty?

Regards Bruce W

It was just a thought.

If the glass bowl is higher than the pump and is full then you are correct.

But if the bowl is lower then I don't know if the gasoline would siphon back or not.

If one of my cars sits for very long I don't even try to start it without a bit of a prime. Saves starters.

But over night is to soon.

On another note, I hate the use of starter fluid or brake cleaner or carb cleaner, I know it will fire off a difficult engine but I always figure if it wont start with gasoline there must be a bigger problem.