41 110 Special Coupe, nice but plain seats??

lincolnmatthews

Hello all, hopefully a Packard owner someday!. Looking at a 110 Special Coupe (on Hemmings) beautiful car. I'm just concerned about the looks of the seats, there are no pleats or buttons in the upholstery, just plain rather unattractive seats. Is this correct for a 110 versus say a 120? The owner says its an original interior, but he's only owned it for about 3 yrs, so he may not really know. The previous owner is deceased, so who knows. Other years I found on line seems to have a more attractive interior.

Anyway would appreciate some feedback, as I love the looks of the car (especially the 41 dash)!! Thanks.

G'day Lincoln,

Looking at Hemmings there are 2 '41 110 Coupes, I presume the one you're interested in is the maroon one?  

Maroon Hemmings Coupe

It certainly appears to have very plain upholstery and may not be "correct". I really don't know, although I have a '41 120 Coupe, I'm not an expert just an enthusiast. I'm in Australia, but about 9 years ago when I bought my '41 in Idaho I also had the opportunity to inspect a '41 110 Coupe at that time and I'm attaching a pic of it's interior. Although it too appears to be plain, on closer inspection you can see there are "line features" in it.

And a couple of other comments.

- I see the maroon coupe has A/C, but it's not a factory setup they are VERY rare. Although the seller says that '40 Packards could be had with A/C it's obviously a more recent installation, probably a vintage air type unit. Also with the positioning of the A/C compressor I'm wondering where the generator is as that's where it usually sits.

- Concerning the other Coupe on offer on Hemmings although not as "sparkling" as the Maroon Coupe, it certainly shouldn't be dismissed.

Black Coupe

See it's being offered for sale by Tom LaFerriere, who posts on this Site as well as the PAC and PackardInfo Websites. From what I understand Tom has a very good reputation. I also see it has the running board delete option, which I like. It's also had some recent mechanical work done. And the upholstery certainly has lines and features. It is also missing the rear "gravel tray" or "stone protector", ie the piece between the body and the rear bumper.

Blue 41 110 Coupe.JPG

Thanks you guys! I will have to call him & have more pics emailed to me. I love the 41 Coupe, 6 or 8 doesn't really matter to me. As far as the black one listed it does have a nice interior, but would appear to have a painted black dash, (don't know if that's correct?) The burgundy with the two tone interior just doesn't look quite right, especially after looking at the above photo from JD (its a beautiful interior).

The burgundy one certainly is flashier, IMHO plus being a CA car being sold in Pomona? Anyway, I'm hoping to attend the Portland Swapmeet this wknd, who knows what will be sitting there! Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

My brother did a complete restoration of a '41 120 Coupe. We painted it for him. He took it to Hershey and had it in our flea market spaces. So many folks asked him if it was for sale that on a lark he put a ridiculously high price (for the time) on the windshield, with no intention of selling. A European gentleman came by and bought it for full asking price. My step Dad has both a '40 120 Coupe and a '40 110 Coupe. He prefers driving the 110.