1941 Buick shift linkage

Matt Harwood

So I've finally had a modicum of success with getting the '41 Limited to act like a real car. I got the exhaust all quieted down now and it sounds like a limousine instead of a dump truck. I was taking it out for a test drive last Thursday and at a red light realized I had no first or reverse gears. The transmission isn't hurt, I'm sure it's the linkage, because it works fine now that it's cooler. Could this possibly be heat-related? I'm not sure how heat soak could affect the rods and levers down there, but that's my only explanation given that it refused to go into first or reverse during test drive Thursday night when it was warm, but everything is working properly today after a cold start and 45 degree temperatures. When it was warm, I could physically jam it into first or reverse if I forced it, but I don't much like that approach. The gears work, the linkage is wonky.

I'm reviewing the manual but it's not terribly specific on the hows, mostly just the operation. Has anyone adjusted the linkage? Any tips before I start messing it up?

Thanks!

Matt:

As far as the trans itself goes, no real adjustments, the forks and rods basically go in one way, although it is possible to swap the forks left to right. If this has happened the longer throw will be on 2nd/3rd and the short throw will be on 1st/rev, so there is a possibility that the gears won't be fully engaged. The linkage adjustment itself is straightforward, basically centering the shift lever.

Cheers, Dave

Hi,

Had a Chevy that would not go into gear(s)--the bushings in the linkage were worn VERY oblong.  New bushings took out all the slop and the links worked perfectly.

--Tom

PS: could be worse--you could have a "remote shifting" Cord that won't go into gear. THAT can be a nightmare.