1955 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Allan.Almeida

On 8/29/2016 at 11:47 PM, MrEarl said:

I can pull the turned dash panels and send to Doug if that is what you're s asking. Looks like Matt may have the correct seat skirt trim for you though

pm or email me if I can help

Me Earl, thanks again,

have emailed you details,

please do have a look when free

regards,

Allan

cars off to paint and items are getting copper plated and then to chrome

got most of the items as well thanks to this wonderful forum

only items i am still hunting for are the antenna and the rear "roadmaster " script

if you guys come across these anyways do message me please.

will post a few pics this evening

Allan , just love this thread , your a talented guy , amazed how many diverse skills you have called upon to repair what is going to be a beautiful car .

Will continue to follow, hope you have luck obtaining bits even your skills can't fabricate. Good luck, keep on challenging the odds on what must rate as a very difficult project , especially in India .

Keep posting photos along the way .

Best wishes

Pilgrim

so we finished a final guide coat in black to check the lines and levels.

since most trims were hand fabricated and copper and chrome plated in house. we will now start a mock fitting of every part on the car.

Make a final listing of missing parts and then finally remove them all out and go for the final paint. 

we are still debating the final colour and upholstery pattern and color too.

lets see where this heads. Have to get her finished by November.

a big thank you to everyone whos helping me source parts.

i have the original hub cups, but they are missing the center medallions. so those are on the to find list as well.

thank you Pilgrim for your kind words.

really hope she turns out a stunner,

regards,

Allan

unnamed (26).jpg

unnamed (27).jpg

• Like 5

Allan,apparently there is "some" difference between the '55 and '54 76 series turned dash and door inserts as the parts books lists different numbers for them. I had always thought they were the same. So unless someone here can tell us what that difference is and it is of no significance, I will not be able to provide the insert as planned. Anybody know the differences? I am familiar with differences in the small series being the trim around the radio and ash tray but the large series???.

Sorry if I have delayed you with my incorrect assumption. I am thinking maybe Matt can help you with the dash pieces from his 4 door Roadmaster as they are the same, but not the door pieces.  Be careful if you buy from a salvage yard as I am seeing differences in the books in parts numbers based on "up to body numbers".

If the set from your car is restorable, I would suggest sending them in for restoration.

need some help guys.

the rear trunk "roadmaster" script i have been trying with all my strength, but haven'y had any luck

so i am finally going to try and make it myself in house., like i did all the trims.

i need someone with the same script to please give me the dimensions so i can try and copy it

i need three dimension

exact width.....from the R to the r line edges

the height of capital R and the height of small a

thank you in advance

regards,

Allan

IMGP5386.JPG

Finally was not a rainy day today,

so got the car out to check how she will look with the black and chrome

not all the exterior trims re made here itself

now to do a final check with the parts fitting and then take her for final Paint

have to do all the upholstery too

my car came with a gold plated front grill. Was this a normal accessory ? Mr Earl ?

i think ill stick to the hub cabs rather then the steel wire wheels, though i need a set of centre medallions for my hubcaps. another addition to the parts list ;-)

hope you guys are liking how she is coming out

unnamed (34).jpg

unnamed (33).jpg

unnamed (32).jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On September 10, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Allan.Almeida said:

think ill stick to the hub cabs rather then the steel wire wheels, though i need a set of centre medallions for my hubcaps. another addition to the parts list ;-)

Here's the center caps Bob's may have them also

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cart/wheel-cover-insert-1955-buick-p-6250.html?osCsid=4a3e618e8b74c8323a2c5d78815d644b

And a trunk script, albeit a bit pricey and will still need gold plating

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Buick-Roadmaster-Trunk-Emblem-/162198303639?hash=item25c3c5b397:g:9icAAOSwknJX1GMa&vxp=mtr

Al,  considering your skills in making that side trim, have you considered doing the engine turning on the dash trim plates yourself?  A couple of folks here on the forum have done so with a drillpress and a jig and would probably be glad to help  describe the process to you 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2016 at 1:57 AM, smithbrother said:

I have done ENGINE TURNED panels.

I purchased my RUBBERIZED abrasive sticks on line, CHEAP I have found you can do this process without a jig,  A drill press works great, just a light touch of these 6" long sticks, less than $10.00.

You tube has videos on such tooooooooo!

Dale in Indy

keeping this as my last resort, cause restoring them specially the long curved portions is gonna be quite a task

got my mock up done

in the boot i found this rear interior light , does this stay this way exposed or is it supposed to have a cover on it

also see these two screws next to the lock, there should be a locating pieces here for closing the boot, would anyone have this and help me

thanks in advance

regards,

Allan

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I'll guess..... White top over Gulf Turquoise over Dover Whire :)

Do I win the prize? 

Al,  I should be able to help you with that  locating pen in a week or so. I had carpel tunnel surgery done on my right hand and haven't been able to hold a screwdriver hardly much less apply torque that would be needed to get THOSE screws out. Let me know though if you have already found them. 

As much as I like Gulf Turquoise, Cadet Blue and Cherokee Red on my Centurys, Titian Red is most appropriate on the large series:  White over Titian Red over White.  And don't get locked in to Dover White as originally tinted.  On mine it complements Cherokee Red, but not Cadet Blue or Gulf Turquoise...I had a white tinted to complement.

Willie

• Like 1

well we have gone a bit bizarre , but hoping that it will look good.

Final color combination will be copper above and cream below

still need to figure whether to use a golden tan or cream top ...

need some help: the chassis in the engine bay, should it be a semi glossy black or a glossy black. ?? need to know this

Earl: Sir, thank you very much, but managed to get the locating pin from Windsofchange and luckily my dash is also being  reconditioned, so eagerly awaiting. Wishing you a speedy recovery sir.

regards,

Allan

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Allan.Almeida said:

need some help: the chassis in the engine bay, should it be a semi glossy black or a glossy black. ?? need to know this

Respectfully, I suggest, at this point it does not matter. Glossy, if you want to hide the engine, satin, if you plan to focus on the engine.

Hi Guys,

need some urgent questions answered please

1. i am painting the car a metallic shade, what color should be in the interior inside and in the rear boot, should it be the same metallic or the same shade in solid
  2. the bottom cut shade, where should the color end in the doors, should it travel inside to the door ledge or end in the outer body only
  3. the convertible roof, what is the period correct material to use

car is going in for final paint tomorrow hence the urgency

thanks a lot in advance

regards,

Allan

Is that copper color a factory available option?  If not, then it really does not matter how you treat the paint job.  If so, the lower section color would extend through the door jamb.  And since the car may have a cloth cover for the top well, the exterior color need only go around the edges.  The well underneath would be painted the color you do in the trunk. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI Guys,

need some help again as the car is coming near to completion

have attached 3 pictures

sill plate:

the picture attached is of a sill plate i have purchased which fits correctly....only problem it is plain without any design..should there bee any kind of design on the 55 roadmaster and if yes what kind

Rear trunk light

as you can see from the picture the rear trunk bulb is exposed , is this how it should be or should there be a cap on it..please advise

fuel cap inside

as you can see in the picture , there is a gap around the fuel pipe coming from the trunk and the the body fender inside, should there be a rubber around this?

please let me know and if yes,m any links to sourcing one

thanks in advance guys

regards

Allan

unnamed (7).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

Trunk light is right without a cover. And Gas tank filler neck is open too. 

As for the sill plate, the one in my 56 Super is also flat.  But don't go by that for the 55 Roadmaster.  Hope someone chimes in with the correct answer on that.

10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Trunk light is right without a cover. And Gas tank filler neck is open too. 

As for the sill plate, the one in my 56 Super is also flat.  But don't go by that for the 55 Roadmaster.  Hope someone chimes in with the correct answer on that.

thanks John

shes now nearing completion and should be complete in a few days hopefully

• 4 weeks later...