All purpose antique car.

Guest drnittler

Guest drnittler

Has anybody out there reduced their car collection to one car and made it an "all purpose antique car?" ie for shows, meets, touring, etc. Sounds like a weird question but I am wondering. I notice when car people get up in age they reduce collection and focus on less vehicles. Thanks.

Guest Skyking

I recently sold off two Metropolitans for that very reason.  I'm getting older and while the market is up on that particular car it was time.  I also did pick up a Chevelle because it was a car I had when younger (18) and always wanted another.  I may still sell off others.........

Mr. Nittler, do what works best for you, but consider

expanding your horizons rather than contracting them!

There are also many hobbyists who keep fully engaged

with their cars and other activities.  Consider:

---One of our region members had a large collection

and years ago had club camp-outs on his country property.

He sold off most of his cars when he was about 80;

but later regretted doing so, because he lived to 101!

---I know a man in the East who at 96 has been hale and hearty.

He still has a car which he acquired new 80 YEARS AGO.

He still has an office and a secretary.

He lives, not in a retirement home, but on a property of 500 acres.

---A member of our region, a very likable and modest man,

has about 10 antique cars.  At 91 he is thinking of selling a few--

not to wind down his life, but so he can give more attention to the

others.  In fact, this past week he and his son drove 800 miles

out to Wisconsin to look at a Chrysler for sale.

You can live life wisely and live it fully at the same time.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know exactly how you feel. I have a '46 Ford "Woodie" and a '32 Ford Roadster. I use the Roadster twice a year for two local car shows, but use the "Woodie" every weekend. I know it doesn't make sense to let the Roadster sit, but I just don't want to sell it at this point. It's not that I am getting old but the "Woodie" is so comfortable to drive and without roll up windows the Roadster beats you up a little. As far as a "one purpose" car I would choose the "Woodie" over the Roadster just for the comfort factor.

Guest drnittler
7 hours ago, AlCapone said:

It all depends on your budget! What are the three cars involved ?  WayneE

The keeper is a 61 Studebaker Lark owned 25 plus years. The maybe is a 29 Chevy sport coupe I had it 14 years and the one on the market is a 50 Ford Deluxe.

Something you should think about.

I met this guy at a local car cruise one evening and he told me he had some Oldsmobile parts I might be interested in. Gave me his phone # and I called him about a week later and made arrangements to meet at his place after work. Turns out this guy had a six car garage attached to the house and a 1200 sq ft garage in the back yard. One garage had nothing but antique automotive test equipment ( scopes, tach / dwell meter's, infrared HC /Co meters, floor jacks, cherry pickers, tire machines, wheel balancers, Boring bars , valve refacing  machine/ seat cutter. You name it he just about had everything sans a hot tank. In the other garages were motor cycles and cars plus memorabilia like gas pumps and steel / florescent signs. Must have been 12 cars. This guy says- would you like to see some of my other cars? I says where? He says there is two 12 unit apartment buildings that he owns behind and across the back alley. He tells me all his tenants can park in the driveways but none of them have a garage because he has a car in everyone of the garages.

I had originally told my wife I would be home about 1- 1/2 hours late after work. I ended up getting home about 11:30. Later that night lying in bed I said to my wife I sure feel sorry for this guys wife if something ever happened to him. Sure enough about six months later Kenny died of a heart attack.

Something to think about.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone
55 minutes ago, drnittler said:

The keeper is a 61 Studebaker Lark owned 25 plus years. The maybe is a 29 Chevy sport coupe I had it 14 years and the one on the market is a 50 Ford Deluxe.

10 minutes ago, padgett said:

For me, if just one antique it would be the Blue 88 Reatta coupe. Did go through a year when it was the only car I had access to and was truly all purpose.

I might be interested in the 1929 Chev. I have a large personal collection and will buy one more and call it quits. My cars  are mostly pre 30 with a few pre 33. Send me a private message if you are interested.  Wayne

Maybe it's true for some of us "old" guys but I haven't thought about reducing from the 5 I have now. As a matter of fact I am ALWAYS looking

for a "new" addition.

Just because we are aging doesn't mean that the thrill of the search/pursuit (hunt) and the purchase of another car has to fade. That, for me, is what keeps

me interested in the hobby, for the most part. It keeps the juices flowing, so to speak.

Joe

• Like 1

If I HAD to get down to only one car, it would have to be appropriate for as many differing types of Tours as possible. That being said, something between 1936 and 1942 would qualify for the Glidden Tour (up through 1942 - Pre-war), Founders Tour (1932 - 25 years old), Sentimental Tour (1928 - 1958), Chrome Glidden Tour (1936 - 25 years old). So .... my 1937 Roadmaster convertible sedan, or 1941 Cadillac convertible would be an obvious choice.

If I were allowed a second car, then my 1930 Packard would qualify for Glidden, Vintage Tour (up through 1931), and Sentimental Tours - but my 1915 Hudson would qualify for the Reliability and Horseless Carriage Club Tours (as new as 1915), Vintage, and Glidden Tours.

Choices, choices, choices - I don't want to lose the '54 Caddy convertible, or the '88 red Corvette convertible either.

Thankfully, I can hold onto several for now, but if anybody wants a one-family two-owner low-mileage (53,xxx) white 1988 BMW 528e 4-door sedan with a 6-cylinder, automatic, one small rust through, new injectors, timing belt, water pump, steering components, metal sliding and rear-raise sunroof - deserving some tinkering, I have had this one over 10 years, but do need to cut back on our toys - this was my wife's favorite daily driver

1 hour ago, drnittler said:

Are there any cars in your price range that you'd like to experience?

Ones that you thought would be fun to have?  Try them out!

If you sell one or two cars, how about getting one or two others to replace them?

Many collectors keep the number of cars constant, but over the years

have an interesting variety of cars.

Just get an old pickup.  I use mine all the time.  Gives you a reason to drive it.  I'm already playing with the idea to upgrade from my original barn fresh looking 49 Chevy 3100 to a Hudson Big boy or similar off brand truck.  I suppose a late 50's GMC would suffice as well. 

I still have a few of my other old cars but use the pickup more than any others.

16 hours ago, drnittler said:

Has anybody out there reduced their car collection to one car and made it an "all purpose antique car?" ie for shows, meets, touring, etc. Sounds like a weird question but I am wondering. I notice when car people get up in age they reduce collection and focus on less vehicles. Thanks.

Sort of yes, sort of no.

I lost my full-time job February 2012, just months after my 11/11/2011 open heart surgery.  At the time, I had 5 cars.  I've since had to sell that "family" ... & am down to 1, a 1979 Caprice Classic sedan, which I will be replacing soon.  I have a part-time job now (started December 2015) & with this new start, I need a new car ... something with no memories attached.

At this point ... probably no more "show cars" for me anymore.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 79 CC to 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis?!

"Lately I've been thinking I should move away" __ Eddy Money __ 'I'll Get By'

Guest drnittler
12 hours ago, AlCapone said:

I might be interested in the 1929 Chev. I have a large personal collection and will buy one more and call it quits. My cars  are mostly pre 30 with a few pre 33. Send me a private message if you are interested.  Wayne

12 hours ago, AlCapone said:

OK how do you private message on this site??

Guest AlCapone
8 hours ago, ScarredKnightfan said:

Sort of yes, sort of no.

I lost my full-time job February 2012, just months after my 11/11/2011 open heart surgery.  At the time, I had 5 cars.  I've since had to sell that "family" ... & am down to 1, a 1979 Caprice Classic sedan, which I will be replacing soon.  I have a part-time job now (started December 2015) & with this new start, I need a new car ... something with no memories attached.

At this point ... probably no more "show cars" for me anymore.

"Lately I've been thinking I should move away" __ Eddy Money __ 'I'll Get By'

It appears that things are on the upswing for you! I wish you well in all future endeavors and let us hope and pray that your health continued to improve !  Happy Easter my friend. Wayne

I have about 12 cars that I have built/resurrected and have stated many a times that I never sell any of them because they don't eat.

Well I am now starting to trim the herd because I have found out that they need constant attention (and new batteries) . I like restoring and building cars but the mundane tasks like changing oil, greasing and polishing (and even washing them each time that I take them for a ride) takes away time from the restorations.

The one I would keep if I had to chose only one would be the one in my avatar. A 1915 C-36 Buick. It is comfortable, It is early, It has factory electric Start. It has been written up in a number of magazine articles. It is fun to tour in and turns a lot of heads. 

Guest AlCapone
16 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

The one I would keep if I had to chose only one would be the one in my avatar. A 1915 C-36 Buick. It is comfortable, It is early, It has factory electric Start. It has been written up in a number of magazine articles. It is fun to tour in and turns a lot of heads. 

Heh Dave.  A perfect combination for sure! It does not get better than that unless it comes with a gorgeous chauffeur ! Wayne

2 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

Heh Dave.  A perfect combination for sure! It does not get better than that unless it comes with a gorgeous chauffeur ! Wayne

What, You say I'm not Gorgeous Looking Guy to the Ladies? :blink::D;). Dandy Dave! 

Guest AlCapone
22 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

What, You say I'm not Gorgeous Looking Guy to the Ladies? :blink::D;). Dandy Dave! 

Yes Dave you have a tremendous grasp for the  obvious!  Wayne

16 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

If I HAD to get down to only one car, it would have to be appropriate for as many differing types of Tours as possible. That being said, something between 1936 and 1942 would qualify for the Glidden Tour (up through 1942 - Pre-war), Founders Tour (1932 - 25 years old), Sentimental Tour (1928 - 1958), Chrome Glidden Tour (1936 - 25 years old).

Marty is a guy that believes that cars are owned to be driven and enjoyed as they were  originally intended.  I AGREE, and add that some of the most fun tours are divisional or local regional tours, which included all AACA eligible vehicles.  Up until now I thought our 1934 Ford V8 Fordor was the perfect tour car, even though it's excluded from the Chrome Glidden.  If I could only have just one, the 34 Ford V8 would be it.

Now, I think maybe if I was to downsize I would have to have at least two cars.  As this group of collector/drivers ages, I notice that regular tourists tend to bring the newest car in their collection that's allowed on any given tour.  This is because the newer cars are generally easier and more comfortable to drive for the aging populous.  For this reason , keeping our 66 VW Bug is a requirement.  (Besides, everybody has a VW story to share)

On the other hand the antiques pickup trucks are regularly used for hauling stuff, plus a Resto-Mod is a great regular driver too.  The one thing I have accomplished in downsizing as I age is shedding the future projects and non runners and focusing on keeping the running fleet in good operating order.

I don't own any cars I bought for logical reasons. I have had a few but they always left me with the feeling I'd get from a girlfriend my Mother would pick out for me.

MY big problem is the low cost of collector car insurance.

Bernie

On 3/26/2016 at 6:28 AM, drnittler said:

That would describe me.  I  am down to 1, having moved my 1955 Cadillac Coupe deVille, 1992 Allante, 1985 Riviera conv and 1963 Corvair Monza conv on to other caretakers.  I now have only my beloved 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 conv.  It has been at shows, meets and on tours.

As much as I like owning and working on the cars, I did not enjoy watching them waste away just sitting in my garage.  I do believe these cars need to be driven to avoid deterioration.  When I realized I was not going to drive them much, if at all, it was not that hard to pass them on to a new caretaker.

21 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I don't own any cars I bought for logical reasons. I have had a few but they always left me with the feeling I'd get from a girlfriend my Mother would pick out for me.

MY big problem is the low cost of collector car insurance.

Bernie

This is pretty much me as well.

Agreed value insurance is cheap if you don't inflate the price.

It makes it easy to justify having several cars. I rarely sell a car that runs.

On March 27, 2016 at 7:23 AM, AlCapone said:

It appears that things are on the upswing for you! I wish you well in all future endeavors and let us hope and pray that your health continued to improve !  Happy Easter my friend. Wayne

Thank you, Wayne ... yep, on the upswing somewhat.  My financial existence will never be the same, I'm afraid.  I had to use all of the money I'd saved up after unemployment ended September 2013.  Luckily, I didn't have to pull any money out of my IRA (which would have, of course, resulted in tax "penalties"), but the money I had saved in a credit union ... all gone.  It's been very deflating to watch all I'd worked for disappear before my eyes.  So many people just don't understand how debilitating that is.

As for the health, it won't exactly ever "improve".  This is a congenital issue, so I'll always have to have surgeries.

"The hope is we have so much to feel good about" __ One Republic __ 'Good Life'