Another parts car

NC-car-guy

Sounds and looks like great fun! I love getting these old relics and hauling them home. Have some very fond memories of parts car acquisitions . The worse they look and the harder it is the more adventurous and fun it is. 

Matt,

Nice going! Looks like a '56 Century. I had similar problems loading a 1956 model 72 parts car out in Lubbock several years ago. Two wheels were locked up and tires were so rotted that they literally came off of the wheels as I tried to winch it onto the trailer. Broke one come-along and left deep gouges in the steel floor of my trailer. The seller eventually took pity on me and fired up his tractor with a  very long chain, and drove alongside the trailer pulling the car onto it. My mind is blank on how I got the $#)(%7#*$+% thing unloaded, but I did it somehow! The things we do for old Buicks...!!!!!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Been there, done that ....TOO many times. Did it for years with only a comalong then finally put a winch on. Probably haven't used the winch a tenth as many times as the comalong. I've used the chain to tree method so many times I've ran out of trees, and I have 15 acres of them. But that practice serves a dual purpose, you'll discover the second this summer when you go to pull parts with the sun beating down to the tune of 98*. I usually carry a  can of shortening for use with stuck wheels. 

How did you get the car pulled up to where you were loading it and why? 

Sure hope that is its resting place for awhile and the next load up will be to the crusher. I have just left cars with stuck or no wheels on the trailer and pulled all the parts before taking to the crusher. 

Welcome to the world of junkyardin, hope you make $millions$ like I have. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

so how is brother Bob?

• Like 2

Ha!  It's a borrowed trailer so I can't leave it sit. There wasn't enough room back there to get the trailer straight on the car, so I used Bob's truck to pull it out where I could fit both trucks in case there was an issue. 

P.s. check your email Mr Earl

Broke my share of Come-a-longs in the old days. This is several of my answers to the problem....The Winch I built from an old Toro Reel mower and builders winch. Turns slow and lots of pulling power. Drags them on stuck wheels and all. I use to mount it in the dump body on my 1962 Ford F-250 4WD. Now I just Chain it to the Trailer. The other is my 1974 Dodge W-300 4WD with a Holmes 480 twin spool Wrecker set up. Good for 9 tons of pull on a single line. Will move more with blocks. I've pulled dead bulldozers with frozen tracks on trailers in the past. Renewing the bearings in the winches. Just received a gasket set for the winch an hour ago so I guess I should get my butt to work. Unloading, That is done with the Buick Snowmaster. :D Dandy Dave! 

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 4

A tractor is generally very helpful in situations like these. 

First thing in gi did when I bought an enclosed trailer was to buy a 10,000 lb winch and mount it. I'm getting too old to fool around with comealongs although the 1923 is too tall for the trailer so we shall see how I work that out. 

Must be nice to be able to work outside amid that green. We were pretty much clear of snow and then got some more Thursday night. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

and yet another (not my truck it's hitched to and won't be on my property for another month probably) Might try to combine with others I have and make a nice small body 4 dr hardtop.

IMG951947.jpg

These were much easier to load and unload. The ram has a winch and and the other truck we used come alongs. They rolled freely (the century rolled a lot easier after we put it in neutral) and ample space to maneuver the trailers.  Unloading was easy also; gravity did the work. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 56buickinga (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

So 4 door century's were 3 hole in 55....  I think we had that discussion somewhere, but already forgot! Lol

It appears to be a Century with Special 3 hole front fenders. I say this not only because of the Century script emblem on the rear quarter but also because I am pretty sure the Century 4 door sedan had the chrome trim around the windows, the Special not.

On May 3, 2016 at 7:11 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

So 4 door century's were 3 hole in 55....  I think we had that discussion somewhere, but already forgot! Lol

Nope. 4 in 55.

i believe Lamar is correct, at least my 2 dr sedan doesn't have trim on the upper part (around the windows).

I know I stole my fair share of Century fenders from uncle Bob. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like the tree arrangement in post #4. When I first noticed the aging process in myself I had slipped off the edge of the driveway in winter, facing the tree with no traction. I put the come along around the tree to move the car ahead a little, running and in drive at an idle. I dropped it in drive, closed the door, and remembered the automatic door locks. Oh, Crap! There is sat, in drive, with one rear wheel sliding around slowly in the wet snow.

So, what kind of relationship do you have with the code guy?

Bernie;)

2 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I like the tree arrangement in post #4. When I first noticed the aging process in myself I had slipped off the edge of the driveway in winter, facing the tree with no traction. I put the come along around the tree to move the car ahead a little, running and in drive at an idle. I dropped it in drive, closed the door, and remembered the automatic door locks. Oh, Crap! There is sat, in drive, with one rear wheel sliding around slowly in the wet snow.

So, what kind of relationship do you have with the code 

What code guy

4 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:
4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

So, what kind of relationship do you have with the code 

What code guy

The one you're fixin to meet for having too many unregistered cars not under cover. :D

• Like 1

Ooooo.  I'm out in the county. The neighbors across the street were a little pissy at first, but since I built the drive way to the back, you can't see the cars from the road! ?I'm gonna drag a bunch of 56 parts down to Jon, buickinga, in trade for 55 parts. Might still consider that engine though, if Fr. Buick didn't take that chunk.

• 3 months later...

FLOOR PANS???!!!!!!!!!  oh you mean rusted through floor pans.   If not cut them out, I gawarantee somebody will call wanting some if you send them to the crusher.

Did you pull the door locks, trunk lock and ignition. You can get a key made for them from the number on the trunk lock stem and end up with a set of keyed locks and ignition. Hard to find. Any sheet metal panels solid enough for patch panels. And at this point you just start cutting and sawing instead of wrenching and unscrewing.

Yep, looks like you bout got all you can off that ol girl.

I once sold this piece (had a bit more paint and also had the SPECIAL  monogram piece still attached) at a local swap meet for $30 to a guy who took and pin striped it and added a clock to it.  Etsy is a good place to sell some of your chrome and pot metal that is too pitted for replating. Arts and crafters use it to make all kinds of artsy folk stuff.

20161106_173025.jpg.c0d710aa0ffde2ee1639824a2bf83295.jpg

• Like 1