12 volt conversion what to do with Window Pump?

MarkV

I think I would go to mac's auto and buy a 12 volt to 6 volt conventer.  I have 12 volts in my 41 and I needed to get the converter for the instruments.  You can run 12 volts on a starter if your brave,  but on hydraulics, you might get a window that slams open or shut way to fast and that might be a serious problem.  

I could be wrong, but for safety alone I would get the converter.

Tom

You will have to determine the current draw of the pump motor and then find the converter that will handle the current and polarity switch. You could also look for a 12 volt motor or have yours converted to 12 volts. I would recommend that you have your starter converted to 12 volts.

That pump motor is pretty heavy duty.  Might just work fine on 12 volts, but use a 25-50 watt resistor of approximately the same resistance of the motor windings if you are worried.  Motor isn't on for very long, so I wouldn't worry about heating.  My starter works just fine on 12-Volts, spins engine great.  Our top / window pump couldn't be fixed, so I found a 1960 pump that goes under back seat, and uses 12 volts.  I mounted a couple 12 volt relays under seat to operate from switch on dash.  Seems to work OK.  We use Napa tractor hydraulic fluid.  I made a solid state 6 volt regulator for the instruments, but a 57-59 Ford instrument regulator will also work.  We're running negative ground instead of positive, only potential problem is with capacitors in the radio front end.  Get new ones and reverse polarity.  Also Need to reverse the wire in the ammeter. 

Abe

A 6 volt DC motor will operate on 12 volts, but that doesn't mean that you should do it. The starter will spin about twice as fast before it engages the flywheel and the Bendix drive will not survive this shock for very long and you run the risk of chipping teeth on the ring gear. The insulation in your 6 volt motor may be adequate for 6 volts, but break down under 12 volts.

IMHO unless you are installing AC, it is better to run the cars on 6 volts like they were designed to run, than to switch over to 12 volts.