Fedco Plt

TomP

The number on the firewall is not a FedCo number, not sure what it is but may be part of the body manufacturer's part number or serial numbering system.

I think there should be one more character in front of the L419R on your FedCo plate but I can't read it in the photo. I suspect it could be an "F" making the FedCo number FL419R which would be the 71494th of 74868 Chrysler 50s built in the Detroit plant in 1926 and 1927.

Hi Tod, must apologise for not contacting you direct, not sure how you came up with that # but I trust your judgement. What I am up against is I must make sure of the authenticity before shipping to the UK, this is part of an email I have received  "

Tom.....serial # 82692A....is what I have found.....let me know if you don't think this is a valid #.....I sure don't know, but that is what is on the car..... 
....also on the title when I bought it..................................regards. "

Now that doesn't tie-in with your comments above. Shame because it's a cracking little car which would sit well in the Vintage London - Brighton run, but must be correct to obtain entry.
Edited by TomP
Wrong info (see edit history)

I got that by looking at the photo you posted. The second one is a FedCo plate and it already had someone helpfully show "LLL FOUR ONE NINE RRR" on it. Which seemed to match what the underlying plate in the photo showed. Then I looked in my list of Chrysler product FedCo numbers and saw that it:

A. Was missing a starting letter.

B. I could not read any prefix letter on the photo under the Chrysler seal.

C. That there was a series of Chrysler 50 models that ended in "R" for which, if I added a "F" prefix creating a guessed FedCo number of FL-419-R would match up being between FW-000-P and FL-486-E.

The "serial # 82692A" mentioned in your most recent post does not look like a Chrysler serial number from 1924 until they started using VIN numbers in the late 1950s. I don't know what that number is at all.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Always on top form with the data, thank you, I added the black lettering from the details the owner had given me plus what I had already gleaned from the net. Have emailed the owner in IN asking him to check in the crest area for another letter. My gut feeling is that although a good looking car it might be a parts car. You mentioned the 1st photo, I think that is a Bud body # but not sure. 

Hi,

The 82692A number is most likely the engine serial number stamped on the left side of the engine block, this number would fit in with 1927 Chrysler 50. My 1928 model 52 had a engine number in the 133k range and was built in March 28.

The fedco plates first letter is not readable, but I agree with the logic it is probably starting with an F.

i would say it is a model 50

Best regards Viv.

5 minutes ago, viv w said:

Hi,

The 82692A number is most likely the engine serial number stamped on the left side of the engine block, this number would fit in with 1927 Chrysler 50. My 1928 model 52 had a engine number in the 133k range and was built in March 28.

The fedco plates first letter is not readable, but I agree with the logic it is probably starting with an F.

Best regards Viv.

I agree with this statement.

11 minutes ago, viv w said:

Hi,

Best regards Viv.

Hi Viv, interesting input, If this car was first registered in a state that used the engine # as it's serial # that would explain why it is on the title (have a Ply with the same thing but am unable to get a build card for it due to the serial plt. missing)

The car is definitely a model 50

13 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I agree with this statement.

Thanks John, think I will get the owner to lift the hood and check the engine # 

Sasha39: Do you have more pages of that FEDCO- by- Month table? Love to see when my early Series 65s were made, the page you have displayed showed the late production ones. I now have confirmation that my Orange car is manufactured in May 29.

5 hours ago, TomP said:

Never to old to learn, that is a great piece of information, thanks for posting. According to Tod's post the R at the end of the FedCo has a relationship to the first character. 

I did not intend to mean that. The last letter on the FedCo number is simply a 4 per the usual W P C H R Y S L E D coding and is simple part of the sequence numbering.

10 minutes ago, ply33 said:

I did not intend to mean that. The last letter on the FedCo number is simply a 4 per the usual W P C H R Y S L E D coding and is simple part of the sequence numbering.

Just goes to show a little bit of knowledge is a bad thing, I'm lost so will leave you gentleman to solve it once we have all the details. Thanks

12 hours ago, Narve N said:

Sasha39: Do you have more pages of that FEDCO- by- Month table? Love to see when my early Series 65s were made, the page you have displayed showed the late production ones. I now have confirmation that my Orange car is manufactured in May 29.

Here you go....

Fedco chart 3.jpg

• Like 1

Gents, another question while waiting for the info to come through. Where would the frame # be located, also any idea on what the lead time is from Chrysler Historical for build cards (that's is they were available that far back)

Thanks

Frame numbers are said to be found around spring mounts on the left hand side (often cited "in vicinity of left front spring rear hanger"). I have looked for such on 4 different Series 65 with no luck, but believe the older cars might be better equipped? A Series CG (1931) frame did have the engine number stamped in that area, however extremely faint and only discovered by chance. As fo Chrysler Historical; you should be able to get an overview if whether they might have anything in short time via e-mail, and then you have to submit a check (no electronics here) and solid evidence of ownership. My check lapsed while I tried to find more proof of the car being mine..

Generally their archive starts around 1931 (I believe) with some older stuff too, you should always ask if they might have.

And the big end oil seals remain to be attended to, but that would have to be sorted this Spring.

I took the colour out and I think that you can see the beginning of a F at the top left of the Chrysler rosette if you look at the number four that's the style of the F you are looking for. Also the serial number of FL419R fits in well with a model 50.image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the seller is unable to find a serial No. on the frame, as I already have a Plymouth with an incorrect serial No. on the title plus being across the pond it would be foolish on an investment basis to pursue this Model 50 . Thank you for your help and should this car be of interest to someone here I am willing to pass your details on. The seller is in IN . 

Screenshot 2016-04-05 at 11.02.22 PM - Edited.png

• 1 month later...

Just an update, have received this attachment from Chrysler Historical via the seller.

Chrysler had stopped putting the serial number on the frames in 1926.  In 1927, the only location for the serial number was on the FEDCO plate, which would have been attached to the instrument panel.  It would consist of letters and numbers and been about 6 digits long.  I hope this helps.

Time moves on and this car is no longer of interest to me, thanks for all your help.

Tom