For Sale: 1935 Hudson

Here is the text from the ad.

Thanks, George, for bringing it to everyone's attention.

That is a rarely seen car, which someone should restore:

"1935 HUDSON RESTORE OR RAT--$1500.

1935 Hudson custom8 4 door suicide. Straight 8 manual tranny no spark plugs in motor so I'm sure it's junk. Floors are not to bad for a 1935 car but not perfect frames ok. It has 4 artillery wooden wheels that are good and they only came on the custome 8's. There were only 1400 Hudson custom 8's made in 1935 so fairly rare car. 218-780-2921."

post-91841-0-24050200-1458041915_thumb.j

post-91841-0-64935500-1458041941_thumb.j

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

This one is a particularly rare model in that it's a club sedan. Hudson called it their "Custom Eight Touring
Brougham". It has a 124" wb and is the last blind-quarter sedan Hudson made.  I'd love to buy it, but I've just got far too much going on. I hope that it survives unmodified. It's a give away price, I'd say.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

This one is a particularly rare model in that it's a club sedan. Hudson called it their "Custom Eight Touring

Brougham". It has a 124" wb and is the last blind-quarter sedan Hudson made.  I'd love to buy it, but I've just got far too much going on. I hope that it survives unmodified. It's a give away price, too.

Some history-minded car fan should buy it just to save it.

Even if it doesn't get restored for 10 or 20 years, it would

be saved from those who would "rat-rod" it and ruin it forever.

• Like 1

Did these have much wood in them, like the Chevys?

If engine can't be freed up & running without a total rebuild, how big a deal is it, & would it be expensive - over or under $1000 assuming all major parts (block, heads, etc.) are saveable?

Is there anything on the car that should definitely be there because said item is rare as a chicken with lips?

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)

Guest pehernan

Hi George,

last year I bought a Plymouth 1936, which engine was completely stuck, because was park since 1954 without its spark plugs.

Initially I poured home made penetrating oil (50% acetone+50% transmition oil) and eventually I was able to free everything. Unfortunately when I tested compression was to low. The cylinder and its walls were fine, but not the valves.

I think I made have be okay with a valve's job, but I decide to rebuilt the whole thing.

The rebuilding kid cost me $580 and because I didn't have to bore the engine I was able to clean everything at home. FOr that purpose I built a hot tank (If you want I can send you the pictures)

I wonder how many others of these big boats are still around, if any? In some old articles from HowStuffWorks, it says these cars had just gone to all-steel construction and hydraulic brakes w/ mechanical backup. Motors were supposed to be around 254 cu. in. and 115 h.p. A lot of car for around a grand back in the old days. 60FlatTop is probably right that this Hudson ain't a cheap restoration, but the wow factor per dollar would be kind of high, in my opinion. Though not a Classic, it's still pretty grand. It meets one of my definitions of a Classic: If it was 1935 and you slowly drove by a big city breadline in a new one of these, would they throw a rotten turnip at you? Yes. From the back it looks a little like a Derham-bodied Packard limousine.

Let me see, if the car was downgraded to a rat-roddy-hot-roddy thing as the seller suggests as an alternative, you'd replace the mechanical-wonder-straight-8, throw away the headroom and imposing height it has now, and put in a lackluster GM v-8 and some fake racing equipment(supercharger, headers, and dual quads...but no roll bar, 5-point harness, or parachute). Then, after the $50,000-80,000 re-decorating, it would handle the extra HP like a shopping cart with a Kawasaki 500 in it, and still have trouble outrunning a Toyota Celica in the 1/4-mile.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

A guy came over to my garage once and told me to swap out the 3.4 DOHC aluminum head straight through breathing Jaguar engine with a modern small block Chevy.

Interesting in reply #9, I never noticed the root word of lackluster was kluster.

Bernie

George, the original poster, PMed me to ask some questions about it. He said that he might be interested in buying it. I wasn't around at the time to get back to him in a timely manner, so I don't know what came of his interest. I hope he got it. Otherwise someone with a spare 460 or a 454 probably snapped it up. They seem to love putting huge engines in big old four door sedans. Like all Hudsons this was a quality car. That eight cylinder engine put out 113 hp in '35, while Ford put out 90hp. Aluminum alloy pistons, light weight rods and a steel crank were just some of the things that made these cars remarkable. It's always been said that there was more chrome, moly and carbon steel in Hudson blocks than there was in other manufacturer's valve seats.  Add to that the smooth long-life wet cork clutch and a buyer got a lot for his money.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

The car is apparently sold, for the Craigslist ad has been pulled.

Anyone interested should call the seller.

I wouldn't assume anything.  And the short life

of Craig's List ads is why it's always helpful to

copy the ad into this forum--more than just showing the link.

If the car is indeed sold, I hope it found a good home.

Anyone interested should call the seller.

I wouldn't assume anything.  And the short life

of Craig's List ads is why it's always helpful to

copy the ad into this forum--more than just showing the link.

If the car is indeed sold, I hope it found a good home.

Absolutely, the Lexington I bought was on craig's list for hours, I was lucky to get it. A forum member posted it here and I was allowed to purchase it.

Thank you to all the members that replied to my post & answered some of my questions. I did not buy the car. Had I known some of the info you guys posted, I  probably would have bought it. Not your fault - mine for not following my gut instinct. I have called the seller & asked that he call me back to let me know if it is sold or not. If he calls, I'll let you know any additional info I get.

Hudsy, nice to know there's a member nearby. I'll call you soon.

George

• 1 year later...

What it has is complete Jaguar front suspension.  GM 6 cyl and 700 R4.  GM rear end.  It stays for the time being.  Should be running and driving within a week of hitting the shop floor.   How many others do you know of?  I wanted this body style /wheelbase a very long time.  Yes, the estate came down more on the price again.