1984 Buick Riviera engine rebuild assistance needed

Guest dlmcmahon173

Guest dlmcmahon173

(I already posted this but I see now that it's in the wrong area and this may get the appropriate response)

I apologize because I don't know where to post this question (the site is a bit confusing to navigate)

I normally don't care for people who don't spend time doing their own research before asking (because I know one or more of you have this answer already) but time is of the essence. I am active duty military stationed in Germany but I am retiring here in Germany next month. As part of this, I will lose my ability to ship anything to me through USPS.

After six months, I finally imported a 1984 Buick Riviera from Ohio. I realize this isn't the normal "collectible" for many but my family and I have a real connection the to the sixth generation (grandfather owned a 1979, gave it to my mother who in turn have it to me for high school). I'd always hoped to get another one someday and that day has come.

Unfortunately, as luck would have it, 350 miles into ownership the motor is knocking. And not just a little.....

I have no desire to "hop up" the motor or even go bigger. German inspection rules are tough enough and I'd rather not spend the money for what I consider a luxury cruiser.

I do, however, want to rebuild the motor and get the car back on the road. And this is where my question comes in.

As I said, I own a 1984 Buick Riviera with a 307 (4 barrel carb as you all know).

What I can't find is a rebuild book for the motor. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots but I having serious difficulty finding a book (or even something downloadable). Maybe a manual for the actual car is where I should be looking?

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. You can obviously answer me on here or email me some direction at dlmcmahon173@gmail.com.

I thank you for your time.

The manual you want is a 1984 factory Buick Chassis Service Manual.  Get an original, not a repro.  Don't waste your money on an aftermarket manual like Chiltons or Motor.  There are several originals on ebay right now.

s-l300.jpg

As I look at those, I'm somewhat surprised at the prices being asked ($85 and up).  Your Riv is mechanically identical to the 1984 Oldsmobile Toronado, and as you may know, the 307 motor is an Oldsmobile-sourced motor.  The 1984 Olds Chassis Service Manual has all the same engine rebuild info and can be found for considerably less cost.

s-l225.jpg

I too own a 1984 Riviera. I suggest you bite the bullet and buy the 1984 Buick Chassis Manual (and the 1984 Body Manual too if you can find it). There will be some things that you may eventually need to know that could be different between the Olds and the Buick.

If you have a question about a 1984 Buick, it is nice to be able to open up the Chassis or Body Manual and find all of the answers.

I would certainly recommend getting the correct manual, especially for things like wiring, which WILL be different, but mechanically the cars and information are the same. GM was pretty much mailing it in during the 1980s.

Keep in mind that the OP is in Germany and may need options. Frankly, I'd rather get rebuild info for an Olds 307 directly from Oldsmobile.

The information on the engine should be identical between the Olds book and the Buick book.  At that point in time each division was responsible for a section of the service manual and then shared it with the other divisions who just copied it for inclusion in their car SM.  The only thing that was different was division specific like instrument panel controls, etc. which was changed by the division for their particular vehicle.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Guest dlmcmahon173

Very helpful (and I saw these on eBay) so I'll look for the, again and bite the bullet and purchase them. Appreciate the help.

Guest dlmcmahon173

I appreciate all the comments (help). I did in fact order the chassis manuals from eBay.

So I spent some time trying to locate the knock. Unfortunately, I was unable to clearly diagnose the problem. I pulled the starter, inspected what I could (no issues) and even unbolted the torque converter (hoping it was a flex plate or torque converter issue). It's been a while since I touched a Riviera, I should of remembered I couldn't drop the pan. I even tried to isolate which cylinder it was by disconnecting each spark plug wire while it was running (no change). I did change the oil (and this was the final check). Unfortunately, there are metal shavings in the oil (not a lot but enough to look like a metal flake paint job). Regardless if I'm wrong, there's something inoperative in the motor.

Anyway, thank you again for the assistance and I hope to have an answer soon (motor is ready to pull, just need to find a hoist).

Take care.

Do you think the oil pump might be bad? Sure does not sound good. Way back when I had a Ford Granada that did the same thing. After a few weeks the engine was toast. A donor engine was easy to find but I'm sure that's not so easy to do in Germany.

Terry

Guest dlmcmahon173

When I pulled the valve cover there was oil pressure on the top end (not as much as I liked but a good amount). When I originally heard the knock, I was quite a distance from home (and I limped home). I have to think if the pump was inop the motor would of locked up on the way (but I'm not ruling out weak pressure, I don't have a gauge to check). Either way, the motor has to come out so I can investigate further.

A donor motor would be great but there aren't any 307s laying round Germany (ha ha). A remanufactured motor would be great but I'd pay a little of 1K just to get it here and even if I suck up the core charge, I'm looking at a little more than 3k (and I'm pretty sure I can rebuild it for less than that).

I'll know more once I'm able to secure a hoist and get the motor out.

I can't complain too much, the car is still beautiful and sitting in the garage safely despite the problems. My Monday could of gone a lot worse.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, dlmcmahon173 said:

(I already posted this but I see now that it's in the wrong area and this may get the appropriate response)

I apologize because I don't know where to post this question (the site is a bit confusing to navigate)

I normally don't care for people who don't spend time doing their own research before asking (because I know one or more of you have this answer already) but time is of the essence. I am active duty military stationed in Germany but I am retiring here in Germany next month. As part of this, I will lose my ability to ship anything to me through USPS.

After six months, I finally imported a 1984 Buick Riviera from Ohio. I realize this isn't the normal "collectible" for many but my family and I have a real connection the to the sixth generation (grandfather owned a 1979, gave it to my mother who in turn have it to me for high school). I'd always hoped to get another one someday and that day has come.

Unfortunately, as luck would have it, 350 miles into ownership the motor is knocking. And not just a little.....

I have no desire to "hop up" the motor or even go bigger. German inspection rules are tough enough and I'd rather not spend the money for what I consider a luxury cruiser.

I do, however, want to rebuild the motor and get the car back on the road. And this is where my question comes in.

As I said, I own a 1984 Buick Riviera with a 307 (4 barrel carb as you all know).

What I can't find is a rebuild book for the motor. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots but I having serious difficulty finding a book (or even something downloadable). Maybe a manual for the actual car is where I should be looking?

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. You can obviously answer me on here or email me some direction at dlmcmahon173@gmail.com.

I thank you for your time.

I had this same problem with my 1984 Riviera last year (66000 miles) . The camshaft sprocket has nylon teeth which disintegrate and cause the pistons to hit the exhaust valves and make some strange sounds

like ringing knocks, etc. These teeth then clog the oil pump pickup screen and restrict the oil flow to the crankshaft resulting in burned out rod bearings. Then the rods knock!

I had the engine remanufactured with a 100,000 mile warranty on it :that is more than it had when new ! Drives like a dream !

9 hours ago, Willie Wurke said:

I had this same problem with my 1984 Riviera last year (66000 miles) . The camshaft sprocket has nylon teeth which disintegrate and cause the pistons to hit the exhaust valves and make some strange sounds

This is unfortunately a constant problem with Oldsmobile V8s.  The cam gear is an aluminum disk with nylon teeth for low noise.  Unfortunately, the nylon teeth disintegrate over time, causing problems as noted.  Every second gen Olds V8 needs to have the timing set replaced no later than 80K miles. 66K is a little early, but not unheard of.

Guest dlmcmahon173

I have secured an engine hoist and should have the motor pulled shortly (and hopefully a more definitive answer) I'll take your comments under advisement and check those areas. I hope it's nothing serious but I'm nearly certain it is. 

Of course, in the states, I wouldn't have to much of an issue. Simply purchase a reman motor and put it in. Unfortunately in Germany it's not that simple. 

But im not complaining...I new importing this car would be a risk and I accepted that. 

Thanks for all your comments. 

Guest dlmcmahon173

So I got the motor pulled Saturday and it was what I feared. 

The bearings for pistons 7 & 8 spun. Not horribly, I believe the crank could be saved and generally everything internally looks okay. 

Of course, the best and most economical method is to search for a remanufactured engine (preferably with a warranty). 

I thank you all again (the service manuals off eBay are pretty incredible, $130 seemed high but well worth the piece of mind)

Thank you all again.