CADILLAC CARL'S EPIC 1927 (MIS ?)-ADVENTURE

C Carl

Thank you to all who have posted on CLC Forum. Among my many insufficiencies is my primitive cyber inability. Can't quite get registered on CLC. Almost , but not quite. For some time I have been in triage mode. Planning and preparing for my last significant Cadillac cruise. Declining health of mid to late 80s internals in a 71 year old shell puts my Cad and myself in the same age bracket ! At this point I have come over 800 miles from Portland. "Somewhere near Salinas" (Monterrey) , "Lord , I" don't want this once in the rest of my lifetime drive to "slip away". I would rather literally die trying , than to sit at home wishing I had given it a go.

While looking for definitive help , (I never start on of these road trips w/o my CLC directory) , I will try to get the '27 running as it had 100-200 miles out. This car and my '24 cad have the same problem. The '27 has always suffered a bit more. So I will throw in a new set of Autolite 3076 plugs (my present ones don't look all that bad), and see if I can get it down the coast where the weather will be somewhat drier. Looks like I'll have to duck and cover for a few days here as I have frequently. At the latest , it seems mid next week will have an dry period. I will not drive this beauty in the rain.

I better run out for the plugs now. More later with pics. - CC

• Like 2

Well , seems not much "MIS" to this adventure at this point. The strategy was to return the Cad to its starting condition. That meant to take almost 1000 miles of use on the spark plugs by replacing them. The old thing left Portland running a bit too cool. I brought it up some by blocking off parts of the radiator. Now , in warmer territory , to counter failing radiator shutters , I have cleared the full radiator and blocked the shutters wide open. Running well on a 50 mile test drive down and up the coast. The battery must be inferior to departure , and could not reach 75% charge , although running all day. Sounds like a dying Optima to me. New one tomorrow. You see the car wrapped in 4 strategically chosen layers. It received the luxury of staying in Mark Klein's aircraft hangar for the last wave of the series of storms to hit the coast. Tomorrow I will get it , and plan to leave Tuesday. I hope I get a chance to get some attractive pics as I wind down the coast. These pics are cool enough , but they are getting a bit stale. Motel parking lots do not exactly convey the feeling of adventure. Oh , yeah. A sharp eye will notice a change of license plate on the test drive. I am trying to correct this car being registered mistakenly as a '26. It is a blatant '27. Monterrey Police came to my rescue while I was lost on the wrong side of the road. Some of you know how confusing Monterrey / Seaside , etc. can be. They pointed out that it would be a good idea to keep the old plates on the car until the proper registration is complete. They were extremely helpful and understanding. I think that in this part of the country , they are used to old men in old cars , and have some affection for them. - CC

post-139274-0-29136300-1457931980_thumb.

post-139274-0-91440000-1457933408_thumb.

post-139274-0-46950700-1457933669_thumb.

post-139274-0-22235000-1457933755_thumb.

post-139274-0-05876900-1457933844_thumb.

post-139274-0-47096200-1457933955_thumb.

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)
  • Like 3

BEST WISHES FOR A SAFE AND FUN TRIP CC!

Thank you so much for your kind wishes  , AC !  I am in Santa Barbara now running better than ever ! About to take a pleasant test drive before continuing on to L.A. traffic. I don't miss the non-existent radio in this old veteran. The smooth drone of the slow turning V8 through the glasspacks somebody put on it is sweet music to my ears ! I sure wish I ran as well as this old Cadillac !  -. CC

• Like 2

Carl reported to me that he found the coil connected wrong--- The Cadillac is positive ground-- Coil was connected negative to coil---  wrong way for a positive ground system.. He is now enjoying the luxury of being behind the wheel of the "Standard of the World" His 1927 Cadillac..

Yes , Ben , quite so ! Let me grab some pics , and get caught up.

Oops ! Some pics ? SOME pics ? I kept reducing their numbers as I was advised that the max total size is 19.53 MB. Does seem to allow a bit less than 7. SEEMS  to allow , although I've only got 2 pics through the pipe before becoming caught in cyber quicksand. With a pic deficit , perhaps I should hold some fire until I can grab a few more pics.

It had become obvious to my ailing , failing body , that it was time to rest up here in S.B. With the accumulated stress and fatigue of the trip so far and the preparation therefore , I decided to use my time before 'Vegas in a more leisurely fashion. Get into a slow routine , give the Cad more TLC , and then take the L.A. dogleg off the table for now. Go direct to  'Vegas , and pick up my L.A. activities on the return. I had considered driving through the wide open spaces , high desert , and Great Basin for the trip back to Seattle. No , although the '27 now feels ready for the road to anywhere , the prudent course of action would be to generally retrace the trip down , with pre established help close at hand. I had pictured the downgrade to Austin , NV. coming down from almost 8000' on US 50 , after leaving Tonopah on 376. Continuing North to Winnie by way of 305. I once saw a pack of early '50s cars , some Panamericana types , along that route. An early '50s Cad included. Who were those guys ? Any of you ? Might have been a dozen or more years ago. Altitude and grades and extremely remote very long stretches would probably be riskier on driver than car. And I really pushed past my healthy limits just getting here , already. (Hmmmmm............   writing this and picturing a 1927 Cadillac out there is awfully tempting. I know you cruisers understand !). But the new plan will allow the opportunity to get to 'Vegas early , be more rested there , and hang out well after the G.N.

As you know from my posting under "General" , the cause of my agony at times Southbound , stemmed from crossed wires at the coil !!! I will be updating "General" also , with further pics and details. I have come about 1200 miles so far , and figure at least twice that yet to go. The ancient technology is for now very user friendly. You can imagine how satisfying it is to finally be putting thousands of cross-country miles on a mid roaring '20s Cadillac. As I mentioned earlier and elsewhere , I had hoped to put a few 10s of thousands of miles on my '24 Cad 7 pass touring I bought 26 years ago. Anyone who has longed to do something similar (or different for that matter), give it a go if possible. If you have a vehicle you know well with a 90% + chance of making it , that is half the battle. If you figure you have a better than even chance health wise , that might just be the other half. Might want to take someone else along. Or not. But don't put it off. You will be older than you are today when you leave anyway. In my case there was serious doubt I would see 2015 at one point. After being told I had to spend whatever was left of the rest of my my life within 1/2 hour of the emergency room , I feel profoundly lucky to have been allowed an encore. My left shoulder is bone on bone. Astonishingly , although there are many things which are difficult to impossible with that damaged wing , I have developed a limited range of motion technique to muscle my old Cads about on a full time basis without aggravating my condition at all ! Amazingly , the doctors have fine tuned what I have left into a wonderful , happy , very low pain (almost never needing any medication of any type), balance. Yeah , I am slow and sure can't concentrate as before , but most of us old folk have a bit of that. I know some of you reading this , some significantly younger , have to deal with monumentally more difficult situations. 

From the above , I really would like to share my great good fortune and sweet old Cadillac. That is the cheapest , most effective psychotherapy for me ! If you guys know of any debilitated old car lover out there in need of cheering up , this car really makes everyone very happy ! If you are along my route , Las Vegas - L.A. - back to S.B. - up the coast to Monterrey - lots of S.F. Bay Area , and up the coast to Seattle , let me know. If age or disability will still allow you to ride in this old thing , let's go ! If your limitations are such that only seeing the car is possible , let's do that. You will find this time capsule very interesting. Think about how far mechanical technology had advanced by 1927. Airplanes were now flying across the Atlantic ! Cadillac had magnificent V8 engines !  -  Carl 

P.S. ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY MIND BOGGLING !!!!  I have been locked up trying to post this with a pic stuck sideways in the system. I've been desperately trying since Saturday. Said I had to wait for the stuck pic to upload. I just tried a workaround , thought I had lost it all , and this resurfaced w/o stuck pics pending. Lemmee try posting now. Pics in the future will be posted seperately until my confidence is restored. Here goes...................

• Like 2

Carl, I thank you for the update!   I hope the rest of your trip is just eventful enough to prevent boredom.  That is a beautiful car. I applaud you.

While my car is way ahead of yours, developmentally,  I drive it when I can. My dream was/is somewhat like yours. I had planned a USA perimeter trip. Circling the US as close to  to the "edges" as practical.  My health is not the hold up, my brides is. Afraid to leave her for the time required.

So I live vicariously through your trip! Keep up the good work.

Ben 

Now yet again , I don't see a way to include pics. I intended to show more taken under way. When I take a shot in motion , it must be when no other cars are or can be coming. Also checking to the rear. I intentionally straddle the center line , as it gives a bit more margin for the "wander" that these old cars endure. I use this straddle technique when I have to drive at night on lightly travelled roads. It just gives a second or so more time to react to animals which may be on the r.h. shoulder with indeterminate intent. Realize that in both cases , I am driving very slowly. I dislike driving at night. I have some vague memory of a safety statistic that mile for mile you are 7 times more likely to die driving at night ! Not only that , but night driving is one of the only times I get a bit bored with the road. Nothing interesting to see. I had hoped to include a pic of the view from one of the open air "restrooms" along Highway one. Let's see if I can do it later. Off towards 'Vegas today or tomorrow. The Cad and I really needed R&R here in Santa Barbara. The old Cadillac and I even got to attend the monthly meeting of the local AACA chapter. A privileged parking place never before used was enjoyed by the 89 year old antique. Amazing the slack given to such a senior "citizen". If I were a cat with 9 lives , I would spend a couple or three of them here if I could afford it.  -  CC

• Like 1

WOW ! Posting pics was fast and easy ! Here are a few more of my reckless road shots. The shot at dusk was approaching Hwy 1 from The H. Castle , looking at their previous private harbor. Moro Bay in another , and that promised shot of the open air facilities which are conveniently abundant , particularly important for us oldsters with frequent hydraulic imperatives.  -  CC

P.S. :  Any critiques of my driving eccentricities are encouraged. I enjoy extra eyes and input. Although still a fairly competent wheelman , I can use all the help I can get. I wish you ALL could be backseat drivers with me. By the way , the previous shot which almost looked from road position like it was taken from the passenger seat in Australia , provoked nostalgia. Just for a moment it reminded me of bouncing along the French Riviera in my Citroen 2CV half a century ago. Approaching Mentone , or Villefranche-sur-Mer or environs. Must have had something to do with the slide sheds (Limekiln) ahead. Nostalgia ! Whew , how young we were back in the '60s ! What carefree adventure ! Important to realize that in our future lives , we will look back at our existence right now as having been comparatively strong and able. Do IT (whatever it may be) right now if you can.  All the very best , and perhaps this driving season will see you on a country road as yet untraveled.  -. CC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

A few pics from the Easter drive. Up 101 from S.B. to Solvang. Many of you know the long grade , sometimes fairly steep , climbing inland after 101 leaves the coast. 3 aboard + some weight of the unnecessary excess that I clutter my life with. Took it all in top gear. (I am one of those wiredos who kinda like cruising along slowly with stump puller gears - slow speeds and said cogs is also a pretty good prescription considering the adverse drag coefficient - watch yer headwinds). Detoured to a closed Mattie's in transition. Near the top of San Marcos Pass is Cold Springs Tavern. Overwhelming appreciation was showered upon us for taking something this old out on the road. A museum piece on the loose ! Lots of everyone at the 'Tav on weekends. Some of them are ladies. Some of those seem more drawn to a mere old Cadillac than to 5 new Ferraris. I'm here to tell you , if I were half my......................... But : Fortunately I AM still capable of driving. We dropped down into S.B. via Old San Marcos Road. Have any of you come down that narrow , winding , steep grade at speed ? We did. 1/2 a beer sipped over an hours time every now and then is about all I am permitted. So I danced rapidly down the mountain in my 89 year old machine with its huge brakes and Lesters up to the task. I am not certain that was one of the smartest things I have ever done , but it was sure fun. Most 1927 Cadillacs were never called upon to move like that. Ever. Danny realized at the bottom that we should have shot video. He thinks we should do it again for the camera. I readily admit to being a little nuts , but I have a feeling I got away with something , and I don't want to press my luck ! Yup. It's is running pretty well these days. Let's see how it does on the remote roads  skirting Death Valley on the way to L.V.  -  CC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, C Carl said:

A few pics from the Easter drive. Up 101 from S.B. to Solvang. Many of you know the long grade , sometimes fairly steep , climbing inland after 101 leaves the coast. 3 aboard + some weight of the unnecessary excess that I clutter my life with. Took it all in top gear. (I am one of those wiredos who kinda like cruising along slowly with stump puller gears - slow speeds and said cogs is also a pretty good prescription considering the adverse drag coefficient - watch yer headwinds). Detoured to a closed Mattie's in transition. Near the top of San Marcos Pass is Cold Springs Tavern. Overwhelming appreciation was showered upon us for taking something this old out on the road. A museum piece on the loose ! Lots of everyone at the Tav' on weekends. Some of them are ladies. Some of those seem more drawn to a mere old Cadillac than to 5 new Ferraris. I'm here to tell you , if I were half my......................... But : Fortunately I AM still capable of driving. We dropped down into S.B. via Old San Marcos Road. Have any of you come down that narrow , winding , steep grade at speed ? We did. 1/2 a beer sipped over an hours time every now and then is about all I am permitted. So I danced rapidly down the mountain in my 89 year old machine with its huge brakes and Lesters up to the task. I am not certain that was one of the smartest things I have ever done , but it was sure fun. Most 1927 Cadillacs were never called upon to move like that. Ever. Danny realized at the bottom that we should have shot video. He thinks we should do it again for the camera. I readily admit to being a little nuts , but I have a feeling I got away with something , and I don't want to press my luck ! Yup. It's running pretty well these days. Let's see how it does on the remote roads  skirting Death Valley on the way to L.V.  -  CC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

C

• Like 1

Don't know what happened. I just tried to edit a proper position for an apostrophe , and delete a redundant "it" , but the original errors are present in context I thought would be deleted. Oh well , next time I will let small things be.  So here is another shot taken at my favorite whale and condor viewing area. The best I know. Partington point. South of Nepenthe , The Coast gallery , and The Henry Miller. If you get to Esalen , you have gone too far south. Take your binoculars and a picnic lunch. If turkey vultures are flying , condors may be also. Never knew the big birds frequented the area until I almost hit one crossing the road in an updraft about 20 - 30 feet ahead of me years ago. What a surprise ! You can't mistake them. Large white high aspect ratio triangles along the leading edge of the underside of their wings. Vultures have black triangles , and are only about half the size of a condor.  -  CC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

And thanks , Rod , to you , preferential parking here and there is an option. Now not a leak or a drop compromise my welcome on previously virgin surfaces. Not a drop ! This is at the regional AACA meet mentioned earlier. Barring some unforeseen mishap , I expect to get to 'Vegas a few days early. Lots of cleanup needed. The motel I was staying at in S.B. (Goleta to be precise), found my Cad to be an irresitable target for the leaf blower blown accumulation of sand , dust and misc. crap of the entire parking lot. They did this 2 times. I raged at them for three days after the first time. Just prior to my departure , they did it again. This time I had a couple of windows partially open. I mean , not even a "normal" car enjoys being covered with a parking lot full of filth. I have yet to talk to the G.M. who was not present at that time , but I did harangue the blower jockey , and 2 levels of supervision. I am not through with them yet , but I warned them after the first time that the next time it would cost them something. Maybe a thorough detail ? I told them I probably would have preferred that they dump the contents of a trash can on it. Fine , abrasive , electrostatically bonded sand an dust. I had just cleaned it up for the road. I had been there for 2 1/2 weeks. They knew who owned that museum piece. They knew my room  number. If they absolutely had to blow all that crap into that one and only shady corner of the parking lot , they should have given me the opportunity to opt out. I asked them if they would like someone to do that to THEIR mere mortal personal conveyances. They admitted the obvious. Enough. Coffee time.  -  CC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Holy cow what a trip ... & your pics are just gorgeous, along with the car & scenery.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 79 CC to 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis?!
"You never know all the riches you own 'till someone takes them away" __ John Schneider __ 'Take The Long Way Home'

Hi , Cort , here's a couple more. The eucalyptus "canyon" is on highway 192 , Foothill Road , going East from S.B. to Carpinteria. It winds around , crossing narrow bridges , and undulates along , passing countless houses of very fortunate people. Surely one of the most beautiful , peaceful places to live. Along the coast on 101 , I was about to get on 1 , the Pacific Coast Highway. Little did I know I was about to be ambushed ! Word to the wise : If you see 6 or 8 cormorants on a high cable above the road ahead , take evasive action early. About the time I realized that my droning old car might scare the crap out of them , I started to veer to the left. Too little too late. Not a one of those many white spots splattered on my car is snow ! Tonight at 6 Flags Magic Mountain , but no time to play. I've got my own amusement park ride. If I get lucky , I might even make Barstow tomorrow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

After visiting an old gear hobber I know in Barstow who is the same age as my Cad , I pushed on to Baker. Put on 200 miles today. Even by the back roads I will take , 'Vegas is closer than that ! Will I make it tomorrow ?  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi , everyone , I started to reply with 4 pics earlier. Seemed to lock up again. Worked on a couple of other matters on my iPad , and things opened up again. I will try to post the pics again now , for later comment. I want to get going North in the direction of Death. Still cool here in the desert , sun angle low , cool pavement , and a tailwind is picking up. What a day to do the remotest part of the trip ! I seem to remember there was a reason for the Valley to have earned its ominous name ! Wish me luck !  -  Carl

• Like 1

Went visiting while in S.B. Some interesting banter for later. I am an hour later than I expected to be because of an unexpected wrong number I received. Talked for an hour. But of this , much more later. The tailwind has shifted to a headwind ! Gulp. Here I  go , very slowly.  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

It took about 20 seconds to post these pics ! Several tries over many hours yesterday could not get one on. These were taken with my iPad , so with the wide angle lense , everything looks smaller and farther away. Drove into a strong (25+ mph ?) headwind in the heat (low-mid 90s ?) over a hot road re-radiating into the undercarriage . It is worth repeating what some of the younger drivers used to modern machinery may not fully realize. Slow WAY down driving ancient machinery into the wind. I drove 25. Luckily had plenty of time , and a few times took steepest parts of grades in 2nd. It was a relief to finally head downwind on the 4 lane highway into 'Vegas. No more roaring wind noise , I could hear my sweet strong engine again. The Cadillac was a real Cadillac all the way , but I am beat , and can't quite figure out my logistics yet. Las Vegas TV weather report says rain Friday , and then on and off G.N. week. But rain here is not what I am used to. I think a few sprinkles here and there from time to time over several days is a newsworthy event. They did say the word "thunderstorms" , though.  -  Tired , old , Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Pics loading extremely well. Let me put more on to give you a good idea of yesterday's run. Cars used to cross the desert in 1927 , some in better shape than mine. The synthetic lubricants I use throughout give me a margin of protection they did not have. Mid '20s Cadillacs were reliable cars not prone to overheating. They would have had to deal with unpaved roads which would be a deal breaker for me , of course.  -  Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

You can monitor my engine temp on the journey from the frequent shots including the Motometer. Mechanical backup showed temp never got above the low 170s. Rain predicted to start tonight and continue through Monday. I have been advised to prepare well for it , as torrential downpours happen in situations such as this. This is an unusual system for this time of year. Monsoon pattern. I am 20 miles from the host hotel , and must move as they are booked up Friday and Saturday nights here. I have to figure out a way to seek refuge , clean the car , and get everything (too much stuff) out of it. I don't understand the nature of the first scheduled event , a car show set for Sunday. I would love to be there , weather permitting. Do any of you have info about this show ?  -  Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

You can monitor my engine temp on the journey from the frequent shots including the Motometer. Mechanical backup showed temp never got above the low 170s. Rain predicted to start tonight and continue through Monday. I have been advised to prepare well for it , as torrential downpours happen in situations such as this. This is an unusual system for this time of year. Monsoon pattern. I am 20 miles from the host hotel , and must move as they are booked up Friday and Saturday nights here. I have to figure out a way to seek refuge , clean the car , and get everything (too much stuff) out of it. I don't understand the nature of the first scheduled event , a car show set for Sunday. I would love to be there , weather permitting. Do any of you have info about this show ?  -  Carl

Had a chance to ride shotgun yesterday. Taught a couple quick learners from CLC to drive a crashbox Caddy ! We all enjoyed it very much. Without any planning , we ended up here by chance. The car ran GREAT ! I didn't think to bring my camera , so these are wide angle shots from my iPad. Scenery appeared  much closer , and of course more impressive in real life. Red Rock will see this Cad many more times , as the host hotel is nearby. I wish each and every one of you were here with me , as I am always thinking about you. Pretty busy with more activities than I really have time for. I am sometimes still answering questions until 2:00 AM. I love it , of course !  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Uh , well , I clicked the worst of 3 pics of the instruments under way. This is clearer. Upper right is fuel level , below it amps. Upper left is fuel pressure (this system uses air pressure to push fuel through the lines). Works very well at around 2 psi. Below is oil pressure. Warmed up at cruise speed it reads high 20s to 30 running 20w-50 Amsoil synthetic. This is a superb oil , extremely synthetic with a good dose of phosphorus and zinc. It has good low temp performance for such heavy oil. In some low temp instances it has some characteristics of a 5w-50. Source : Richard Widman's 33 page dissertation on the right oil for flat tappet engines. For the record , these engines use rollers on finger followers.  - Carl

image.jpeg

• Like 2

The old Cadillac looks happy . It lovingly holds affirmation . It is also making Bob and Bob (airline pilot , and A&P mechanic) very happy. Carl is exhausted , but the Cad eagerly eats up miles sight seeing. I need sleep. Now.  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1