Wichita, Kansas All Buick Show - October 8, 2016

I got the preliminary website up, so I'm gonna go ahead and throw this out there...

Wheatland Chapter

Logo_Slant.png

Saturday October 8th, 2016

10:00 am - 2:00 pm

Scholfield Buick GMC

1333 N Greenwich Rd - Wichita, Kansas

All Buicks and Opels are welcome regardless of year, model, or condition.

www.WheatlandBuick.com

Edited by SpecialEducation
updated web address (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Barbara and I got the show application in the mail this afternoon.  We are going to take the '20 over just for fun and to help the cause.  All it takes is a good reason like this to get a Buick out and exercise its wheels a bit.  We have had so much rain here in Doo Dah this Spring and Summer that it has been hard to find a day or two in a row to get anything out and tool around with it.  Hope to see a lot of BCA members there.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas  aka  Doo Dah

• Like 4

I didn't anticipate a large group needing hotel rooms, but I have fielded a couple questions regarding this recently, so I'll put this suggestion out there (obviously, you are free to book anywhere)...

The Best Western on east Kellogg (US54) is just a few miles from the show.  We are working a special rate with them, but you must book 2 weeks before the show. 

$79/night (+$12.84 tax)

http://www.bestwesternwichita.com/

Best Western Plus Eastgate Inn & Suites

8300 E. Kellogg Dr.

Wichita, KS 67207

316.682-3000

Also, this map shows some of the other local hotels and their standard rates (works best with Chrome):

https://goo.gl/maps/fPDR7mDVhg52

Edited by SpecialEducation
Added more detail.... (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's just some soft maple we've had for a while. We usually buy 100-200 bd-ft of hardwood every few years. We cut the blanks and I've got a friend with the laser. 

After the laser work is done, we lightly sand it to get some of the smoke off the top, then spray with polyurethane. 

I was at my hometown lumber mill in Michigan a few weeks ago (dad was picking up 100 bd-ft of mahogany) and spotted some AWESOME material for next year's awards.  If you think these are cool, next year's will be crazy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, The wife is out of town for the weekend (now have a free pass) so I may drive down Fri late afternoon or early Sat morning.   What is your count up to now?  Anyone else from Kansas City going to this?   Weather looks to be nice al weekend as well.   :D

Yep, WX looks perfect!  I realize a lot of the long distance entries will be WX dependent, but right now I've only got one from KCMO. I think one from Topeka, and 3 from Salina. 

Total of 29 cars registered. Since the price went up Sunday, I'm not expecting any more pre-registers, but I know of 4 or five unregistered that are still planning to be out. 

Matt,

Thanks for the invite but I have a couple of emails to clean up tonight (skipped out of the office early) and will make a early night of it.  Going to clean the bugs off tomorrow morning. 

Info;

Steve Smock

Olathe KS

I have an all original 1964 Buick Special Convertible, Marina Blue, 300 cubic inch engine and automatic.

I belong to the Midwest Chapter of the Buick Club of America and of course BCA. 

• Like 1

44 registered cars on display. 2 pre-registered didn't make it, and one T-type Regal that showed and left w/o registering.  The dealership provided 2 cars that weren't registered (including a Cascada), so we'll call it 46 Buicks & Opels on the show field. 

About $1500 raised for our charity. 

Pix to follow. 

• Like 3

what a really nice day and a great show of Buicks in Wichita. With 42 plus Buicks at Scholfield Buick at one time WOW. The dealership did a wonderful job in getting enough cars moved so we could play. We had cars from Topeka, Edmond Ok. Kansas City and of course Wichita. I don't know who was in charge of the weather but they get a big thanks.

Don, Matt, Maria really did a bang up job, with some input from our Chapter Director Tom Sparkman. This was  the first show since the late 1990s for the Wheatland Chapter.

Terry Wiegand our newly elected BCA board member with his wife Barbara made the trip from Hutchinson Kansas,

Plans are in the works for a show again next year which will be bigger and better. Thanks for everybodys hard work.

I know that Matt will have some photos shortly but I just hope he didn't get the photo of me drooling over that 54 Skylark, oh well for a lack of something to do, Kathy and I just took off in the dealers new Buick Cascada. That's a really nice ride.

A good time and it was great to see the Wheatland chapter active again. The proceeds from this show was to benefit Carpenter Place which is a charity to help girls and women in need. Its always good for our clubs to help a good cause.

Thanks for a good time

Chuck Kerls

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Booreatta said:

I know that Matt will have some photos shortly but I just hope he didn't get the photo of me drooling over that 54 Skylark

I just reviewed my pix of the Skylark, and I managed to keep Chuck out of all of them.  One BCA member said he'd never seen a '54 Skylark in person before, only in pictures.  He was completely beside himself.  I had never seen one this color before; such a great, quintessential color of the '50s.

I asked if we could get a new Cascada in that color, and I was told I could, if I ordered 10 of them.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:19 PM, SpecialEducation said:

And one for Mr. Smock...

_IGP0365.JPG

Matt,

Great Buick show with a lot of nice cars attending.  Glad I made the drive down for it.  Uneventful trip from Kansas City there and back, good to get the old girl out on the road and stretch her legs!   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ssmock said:

Uneventful trip from Kansas City there and back...

Uneventful sounds boring, but sometimes boring is good!

I'm gonna post just a few more here, and maybe save a little suspense for the Bugle.  Have I ever posted a nice photo of Ruby?

Buick 2016  009.jpg

We had a nice '31 up from Oklahoma.  He and the '55 behind it both went home with trophies.

Buick 2016  002.jpg

Tom Vosika brought the three '65s pictured behind him, with the Riviera GS taking an award as well.  He's the manager of the O'Reilly's 2 blocks from my house, so he was the first non-club member to register for the show. 

Buick 2016  006.jpg

Here's that Skylark up from Edmond, Oklahoma.  The owner has been in contact with our chapter president as he needed some mechanical help after buying the car.

Buick 2016  005.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • MrEarl unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 10:08 AM, SpecialEducation said:

New date, new venue:

September 23rd, 2017

Best Western Airport Inn

6815 W. Kellogg (US 54)

www.WheatlandBuick.com

We already have a block of rooms with a group rate, we will have more room, and FOOD on-site!

I'll start a new thread for this event in the Spring.

The hotel has new owners.  Not a Best Western anymore, but they honoring the previous arrangements...

Here's the new thread:

• Like 1