Tire Size for '48 Continental

MarkV

760-15 is going to be a bit wider and taller, so you might have interference issues with the fenders skirts. Probably not, because those fenders were pretty spacious, but it would be a shame to buy three more tires, mount them up, then find they rub in corners or something (mounted tires are typically not returnable). I currently have a 1941 Cadillac 60S with 760-15 tires currently on it and the clearances are VERY tight by the skirts, but they don't rub except when I go around long, sweeping corners like a highway on ramp--the axle moves enough there to rub the sidewalls against the edge of the skirt. There's only about 1/4 inch of clearance at rest. They do look a little oversized and cartoony and balloon-like, and since they're 20 or 30 years old, I'll probably be replacing them anyway with a correct set of 700-15s or maybe even some radials if I end up keeping the car.

Photos below show my current 60S with the oversized tires (red wheels) and my previous 60S with correct 700-15 tires. A slight but noticeable difference. The car with the correct tires didn't have rubbing issues at any speed or in any situation.

Hope this helps!

post-76547-0-45187400-1457285703_thumb.j post-76547-0-02357100-1457285844_thumb.j

Tire charts may not accurately reflect the physical size of a tire from the 1940's to later years. There was a change in numbering tire sizes around 1950 and I cannot find out the difference. You can call Coker and ask them what the difference is in width and height between the 2 sizes and then make your decision.

Something else to consider is the spare tire. We are used to radials on our modern cars, that do not deflate as fast as bias ply tires and do not use the spare any more, with bias ply tires you are more likely to use the spare and the spare must fit in the tire cover as well as be close in size to the other tires on the car.

Someone in the dim past put 820-15 Denman's on my 48 LC, which look and fit pretty good, but have a terrible thump and no balance weights.  So, your smaller size should fit.  I really haven't driven enough to say how accurate the speedo is, but you should be able to find a different gear that plugs into the transmission at the cable end.  I'm thinking of saving the tubed tires and wheels for show, and putting 16 X 8" wheels with 235-16 American WW radials for touring.  Haven't yet figured how to make the stock hub caps with clips fit, or get plain caps and add a Lincoln logo.  Maybe wire wheels?

Abe

Not a Lincoln, but I have a '47 Buick Roadmaster.  When I first acquired the car and working to get it up and running I ordered 5 8.20x18 tires based on the BCA Judging Manual.  They were mounted on the rims and then I went to install them.  The front fit fine, but the rear tires would not fit up in the wheel well in any way.  The spare would not fit in the tire well either.  After more research in factory Buick documents, I found that the correct size was 7.00 x 15.  Buicks in 1948 went to the larger tire, increase the size of the rear wheel wells as well as the spare well. I did need the 8.20's for another project, so I ordered five more tires.  The BCA Judging Manual was also corrected based on this documentation. 

My advice is to mount the one tire you have and see if it will fit on both the front, rear and spare storage areas.  That will tell you if you can use the larger tires.

• 2 months later...

Factory size for the 1946 to 1948 Lincoln and Continental is 700:15  I bought and sold Lincoln's in the 60's and 70's and they were 700:15.  People put other sizes on them but the o.d. ride and steering were desighned for the 700:15 factory.  Lee

Lucas Tires has Lester tires in the size that you are looking for.

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/searchresults.sc

Here is a link to a list of tire dealers

http://www.vintagepartsource.com/vintage_tires.htm

If you cannot find tires that are up to your look requirements, you could probably sand out the blemishes without damaging the integrity of the tire.

The Lester tire has a 4" WW  One plus for the Firestone is the 4 1/4" WW  despite the flawed appearance.  From What I can tell all the Firestone 820x15 bias ply WW tires on the planet come from Coker regardless of who the seller/retailer is.  I have asked about sanding the side wall on the H.A.M.B forum and haven't read of a successful WW detailing method as of yet.    Thanks.   John