FS - 1946 Chrysler New Yorker Business Coupe

Only about 700 of these were made between 1946 and 1948.  This one is quite rough, but I think worth saving.  I would like to make a quick sale to make room for a more appropriate project car so make me an offer.  Comes with a couple straight 8s and a tranny/fluid drive, but will consider selling separately.  A few more pics at https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5475631216.html

• Year- 1946
  • Make - Chrysler
  • Model - New Yorker 3-window coupe
  • Price - $4,200 obo
  • Description - needs complete restoration, lots of rust in floor and rockers
  • Location - Portland, OR
  • Contact Information - Jeff, grancoupe1970 at Hotmail.com, or PM via this forum

post-113302-0-18526000-1457200322_thumb.

Those 8-cyl 3-window business coupes usually came with 3.54 differential gears, the fastest MoPaR set available for the period, and apparently ONLY offered with the 3-window 8-cyl coupe, either Saratoga or NYer.  The entire pumpkin will interchange (direct bolt-in) into LWB DeSoto S11 (Suburban and 7-p sedan) and all other standard wheelbase Chrys 8s (but not, I believe, the LWB Chrysler Imperial).  Years ago I put a set of those 3.54s into a DeSoto Suburban, replacing the 4.11s, and was able to cruise comfortably at 65-70 mph and did two cross-country runs.

But be sure to get the speedometer drive gear matched to the 3.54s from the coupe's transmission at the same time.

1946-48 Chrysler eight cylinder cars except the Crown Imperials came std with the 3.36 rear end ratio. 1946-48 Windsors  (Six Cylinder cars) had a 3.54 ratio.

1949-50 NY /Saratoga etc came with 3.54 rear ends as std equipment.

Thanks, c49er, for the correction; I sold that Suburban long ago!  Whatever ratio it was, it made the Suburban (factory ratio 3.9 or 4.11) a much better highway car but required the use of Low Range to get it started even on the level.

This is a very cool car that obviously requires a lot of effort.   The 8 cylinder cars are definitely rare and the 41-48 Chrysler business coupes are so under appreciated.

I think if you spend a Saturday and get some pictures of it rolling on 4 wheels you will have much better luck.  You would think that potential buyers could visualize that for themselves but many can't.

It would really help you sell it if you could make it a roller some how.

Yes, you're absolutely right.  I should have done that before I found another car I want to buy.

Jack - Maybe I messed up, but when I measured the bolt spacing, it was about a half inch more between the bolts on the NYer, from center to center of adjacent bolts.

As you know, I never saw my 46 NY coupe in its stock configuration, so it was a guess on the bolt circle.

My 56 has a much larger bolt circle than its other Mopar counterparts.

This forum has seen me shopping for one of these several years ago and has also seen what I ended up buying.

I have even shown progress on occasion.

However this forum requires a bit of self control because of the attitudes of some of the purists so I have not shown it much.

But since you are now curious, I now have it driving but has a few problems that need addressed to be road ready and dependable. And yes it has a Hemi.

Unfortunately I broke my foot a week or so ago and everything in my life is on hold until I can walk again.

The OP, Jeff and I have become friends over the years and I have watched his progress with his engines and progress on his other car that first brought him here. He has been to my home and I to his and we often email each other about our projects.

I am sorry to see him go another direction here, but we all have a similar disease and he has found another item that is not such a daunting project and I wish him all the best with his endeavors. 

Good luck with your sale Jeff and stay in touch.

post-95665-0-44974900-1457459409_thumb.j

post-95665-0-25201800-1457459633_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I always get confused with ads that show the car in a barn covered with junk or an engine shot with the head off.

I am never sure just what is for sale.

In this case the seller states that the car is ready to drive but all the parts he has amassed are included.

Oh yea, it has a fur headliner. A mild custom that is lowered.

Wish it was mine though.

I thought the same thing.  He should explain the story better.  I think he took pictures when he bought it,  replaced the head gasket, took a picture, then swapped in the moon dishes and lowering kit.  Hopefully the original hubcaps are included.

16 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

There is a 47 Dodge 3 window locally for I think $4500 obo on Craigs List.   I agree they are unique looking. I think - based on the Thunderbolt show car. I think I would prefer the New Yorker because it's a flagship 8 cylinder but practically speaking, one of the 6 cylinders would be just as neat. 

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/5655202907.html

Check it out.

It has a pistol grip shifter !!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...