Transmission too Far

abelincoln

We're about ready to drop the rebuilt engine in the 48 LC, but first need to get the OD transmission bolted down.  We got the tranny connected to the torque tube, but the transmission motor mount  holes are about 3/4" too far forward to meet the holes in the frame.  The rear spring shackles that locate the rear end are tilted toward the front, and the torque tube wants to go to the top of the tunnel. 

I was thinking maybe a logging chain and a come-along to pull the assembly back.  Surely this has been encountered before.  What's the best way to fix?

Thanks

Abe

post-87260-0-95649300-1456777918_thumb.j

I had exactly the same problem when re-assembling my 1938 LZ. I put the car on a vehicle lift and  secured the front crossmember to the front of the lift with ratchet straps. Don't put the straps onto the front axle. I then placed a ratchet strap on each side of the rear axle and secured them to the vehicle lift. By pulling up each strap a few clicks at a time the axle will slowly move backwards until the holes align.  You probably don't have a vehicle lift handy but any rigid fixture will work. Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks, guys!  I first lowered the rear end by supporting the rear of the car with jackstands under the frame ahead of the rear wheels. managed to slip a couple of 8" C clamps on both sides between the rear mount and frame, and when I tightened the clamps, everything moved into place so I could drop the bolts in.  Of course, now I have to take the bolts out in order to slide the tranny to the side to get the clutch shaft into the receptacle on the transmission.  We'll get it yet.

Abe