1931 Franklin

robcars

I recently purchased a 1931 Franklin. Is there anyone that has or  reproduces parts for these cars? I am looking for a crank hole cover, cowl lights and or fender lights. Did Franklin use generic or side mount mirrors that said Franklin stamped on them? Does anyone carry engine parts for this car? This is a 4 door sedan car with wire wheels and  stainless side mount covers.

Thanks you, Robert

• Like 1

Robert

Congratulations on your purchase of a 1931 Franklin.. First you need to let us know what model - there was a 151,152, and 153. the 151 and 152 are very similar sheet metal and body wise; the 153 fenders/body etc was new for 1931 and are different. Engines are the same. Crank hole covers are the same for all , but headlamps are not. . The 153 had cowl lights, and the 151 and 152 did not. What is your wheelbase on your car. and is the windshield raked back at the top? If it is then it is a 153. Can you post a photo? that would help. Contact the H.H. Franklin Club as well for assistance.

If you want to read about a Franklin test driver go to the April issue of Hemmings Classic Car and look at my column.

Give us more information and perhaps we can point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

The Vin Number starts out with 51 so I assume it is a series151. It has a flat windshield. I have always wanted a Franklin with side-mounts and wire wheels. I will be keeping the car as it is but want to add side mount mirrors, Junior Tripp lights and a right tail light. I have a United Motors Radio that is complete with the head with key, tube box and speaker I may add this to this car.  I am not sure what brand radios were offered for this car? post-133744-0-78765400-1456350000_thumb.post-133744-0-92937100-1456350019_thumb.post-133744-0-12174100-1456350044_thumb.

Yes, you have a series 15 model 151. Parking lights should be a bulb inside the headlamps. The tail lamp on the 151 and 152 were the same, the 153 was different (and was also used on the series 16 of 1932 and 1933) The accessory driving lights for these cars were and oval light or pilot ray lights, everyone adds Trippe lights with the curved mounting brackets to the front of early thirties cars and these for the most part were first available in 1937-38. Franklin issued an accessory catalog for 1930-31 cars that illustrated and listed everything they approved, plus prices. If you PM me I can sell you a photocopy of one for a reasonable price, as I have an original in my collection I can copy for you.

The wheels and hubcaps are the same on all series 15 Franklins.

Check to make sure the front shutters open and close with the thermostat that works off the first cylinder, most important that this works (rebuild service is available) The Gemmer steering boxes have a tendency to wear and new bearings were available at one time as was a rebuilding service but I am not sure if this is still available. The venturi in the carburetor is white metal and these swell and crack with age (to the point they will crack the cast iron body of the carburetor)  but new ones were available some time back that were made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it may have an original (factory accessory) license plate frame on the front (I believe it should have reflector dots on each side though), a Franklin grill script, sidemount spare tire covers (perhaps Lyon brand), windwings, airplane grill shell ornament, and a nice trunk on the rack.  Sidemounts, trunk rack, and wire wheels are also optional.  A very well equipped car and super nice condition too. 

• Like 1