Packard Twin Six

scott12180

Hi all --- 

I have the opportunity to acquire a Packard Twin Six.  This car is a 1916 1st Series 5-p Phaeton, older restoration that should be tour ready save for maintenance to wake it up after five years disuse.

Can anyone tell me if these make good tour cars ?  Could anyone share their opinions if they are fairly robust and reliable, or if they have weaknesses or major mechanical faults which are coming evident after 100 years?  Or are they just plain great cars?  

When I look it over, what should I look for or beware of?  Where are the Achilles Heels?

Anything you could share to help me be a more knowledgeable buyer will be much appreciated.

Thanks -- Scott

Great cars, owned one which I used to drive 150 miles round trip to Hershey for annual Fall Meet. West is absolutely right about not being eligible on HCCA tours. About those brakes - typical two wheel brakes for cars of the era and especially dicey on wet roads since they can lock up the

wheels and send you in a new direction.

I think that HCCA tours accept cars manufactured in the 1915 calendar year.  So the only eligible Twin Sixes could be a 1916 first series.  And I think that Packard announced the Twin Six in something like May 1915, so a good number were built in 1915.  I've seen photos in the Gazette of a few 1st Series Twins on tours, and the HCCA roster lists a few Twin Sixes which presumably fit that criteria.

Good advice on the brakes.  Probably a sound reason to have new tires on the rear, especially ,to get as much new, soft rubber gripping the road as possible.

I think that HCCA tours accept cars manufactured in the 1915 calendar year.  So the only eligible Twin Sixes could be a 1916 first series.  And I think that Packard announced the Twin Six in something like May 1915, so a good number were built in 1915.  I've seen photos in the Gazette of a few 1st Series Twins on tours, and the HCCA roster lists a few Twin Sixes which presumably fit that criteria.

Good advice on the brakes.  Probably a sound reason to have new tires on the rear, especially ,to get as much new, soft rubber gripping the road as possible.

According to the Twin Six experts such as Messrs. Brodes, Schaevitz, Martin, and the late brad Skinner, there were very 1915 twins since the production of engines went to the Russians and others for WWI military uses. Check www.packardsonline.com and you will see the surviving first series cars listed. As explained to me years ago when I raised this question with Brad Skinner and was told that I could probably find a 1915 casting date on some part but mine was clearly a 1916 model.

Anyway congratulations on your acquisition Scott. Whose car do you have and does the roster keeper know that you are the current owner?

In my humble opinion a 1916 is not the best option. It is not a 15 (of which only a few were made), but it does not have the

advancements made on the second series starting in 17. The 16 does not have removable heads. They had quite serious

issues with vapor lock, in part because of the carb location. Many have home designed shields to help with this annoying problem,

which is much worse with modern gasoline. The water pump on the 16 cannot be removed without pulling the engine or cutting

the frame. So...... great car.....but if its not a 15 much better to have a 17/18.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

From the Brigham book:

!st Series serial numbers go from 80.000 in June 1915 to 87,787 in August 1916 . Using some math, you should be able to come close to a "birth" date.

Next would to be get dirty and look for casting dates on the engine base (underneath), the transmission case (on the side), and on the differential housing(don't remember where). You have to assume a few days to finish the car to get the actual shipping date.

Dan Summer has a 1st/2nd Series that he tours with.

Good luck,

Bill B.

PS th jcrow.

My preference is a 3rd Series. 7-pass solon touring

Sam 1976.JPG