1929 Peerless To Appear at Boca Raton Concours

jeff_a

Tomorrow, February 21st, a 1929 Peerless Model 8-125 7-Passenger Sedan will be shown at the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance in Florida. An interesting motorcar: formerly owned by the Movie Car Company of CA, 20th Century Fox, Dave Griffey of IN, the Dexter Dotson collection of VA, current owner of many years is Daniel Johnson of FL. This Peerless has appeared in a number of Hollywood productions, notably The St. Valentines Day Massacre and the 1960s Untouchables television series. This Peerless is benefiting from a full restoration at The Creative Workshop in Dania Beach, FL, including returning the paint to its original hue of red or maroon, after 40+ years painted black. These Model 8-125s are Full Classics and were produced in numbers almost identical to Duesenberg numbers: 1,154. First Peerless with a straight-eight.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

I've never seen a Peerless 8-125 in person, but photos of the green one John & Sherry Knight have in Canada(see below) show an impressive automobile. It's also a film car...and has a 138" wheelbase, and a 114 HP, 322 Cu. In. Continental powerplant. The KPAIE list shows six known remaining 8-125s. Personally, one of my favorite Peerless models.

gallery_31395_17_1431479933_15422.jpg

photo courtesy of John Knight and Wayne Burgess 12/11/08

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest Peer29less

Hello, all.  The Concours at Boca Raton, FL yesterday was a wonderful experience for everyone able to attend.  Many world-class automobiles of every kind and description.

I am particularly gratified that my 1929 Peerless model 8-125 was so well received, but must give credit where it's due: after a year+ long restoration at The Creative Workshop in Dania, FL, it is Jason Wenig (prop) and his staff of excellent craftsmen that deserve the awards (first in class from the Boca Concours, and a 99.5 from the CCCA).

Jason and his crew are exceptionally able, dedicated to their craft, and thoroughly professional in every respect.

I've owned, driven and enjoyed my Peerless for many years. Now, thanks to Jason, the Peerless has been returned to it's original, magnificent condition.  I purchased the Peerless from Dexter Dotson years ago, biding my time until the day arrived for the *real* restoration.  I couldn't have been more fortunate in finding The Creative Workshop for that *real* feat.

Yesterday's appearance was the first appearance for the Peerless after the restoration, which final details were still in progress the night before the Concours.  It's razor-thin to completion, and Jason and I look forward to bringing the Peerless to more functions. 

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Daniel Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! We've been very fortunate to have such a wonderful car entrusted to us....and to have such a great Client in Dan Johnson. His passion for his car is infectious!

As mentioned, we completed the restoration of the 1929 Peerless Model 8-125 and unveiled her at the 10th anniversary Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance. It was a great day and the Peerless took a Best in Class in the Boca judging class and a 99.5 (out of 100) in the CCCA technical judging class.

This car is incredibly rare (1 or probably 3 left in the world out of only a handful ever built), so the correct "forensic" restoration of a vehicle like this is no small feat. Every detail we obsessed over....and we are proud we were able to save an incredible part of our shared automotive history.

To see the full restoration profile, go here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154594680694942.1073741870.383242759941&type=3

12710767_10154594696499942_8393231631942

They are on the AACA Forum called "CCCA - General", between the 11 Buick Forums and the 4 Oldsmobile Forums. Looking at the list of all 90 or 100 forums here, the Peerless forum is about 83 down from the top, and the "CCCA- General" forum is 28 forums down from the top***. The forums aren't numbered, but if you go to the top of this page and hit "FORUMS" right under the AACA logo.....it'll take you to the top with:

"General Discussion"

"Meets & Tours"

"Swap Meets"

"Buy/Sell"

etc.

If you are new to using the AACA Antique Automobile Discussion Forums, it takes a while to know your way around, but it's pretty well-designed and a lot of knowledgeable people are here who often help with questions. Hell, I can even figure it out! The posts can all be searched, going back as far as 1997, and there are some hidden gems. I have never tracked him down......but someone with a 1928 V-8 Peerless barn find with 7,600 miles described his car on the AACA Forums once*. Another time, someone with a garage full of 1906 Peerless parts wrote in from Iowa(couldn't locate him, either). 8 years ago, someone told us about his 1930 Peerless straight-8 Coupe with an incorrect motor (a Chrysler Straight-8), and I was able to track that car down**. 

*     Last year for the 332 Cu. In. Peerless V-8 (1916-1928).

**    Cut down into a Lakebed Runner by a previous owner, has a rumble seat, dual-sidemount fenders, intact body except for top, stored inside.

***   Go to the thread "Classic Peerless To Appear at Boca Raton".

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)