WTB Starter motor

pistoncollector

If you're still looking for a starter, you might be luckier by appealing to other 7R owners to advise the number/s of their starters...

Most of my old catalog 7R listings are shown as "7R-8R", but no mention is made if they were options or if the 7R (31/4x41/2) was succeeded by the 8R (33/8x41/2)...that also raises the question of whether they were alike enough to use the same starter/s...in a 1930 McCord gasket catalog the 6M, 6S, 7C, 7R and 8R all take the same set of gaskets listed, except for a gear cover gasket for 7R-8R only...

I don't have a completed 7R list, but some familiar names are:

Auburn  models 39-51 1920-22

Elcar 6-60 1919-24

Jordan  M 1919-21

Lexington  6S 1920-21

Moon  Victory-London, 6-48, 6-58 1919=20

Velie  48  1920-23..................all from that gasket catalog...a more complete list would probably be between 20-30 makes, if not more...

Paul:

(1)Got your PM (private message thru site)via email notice PM filed; tried to reply here but couldn't get site to accept reply, so tried replying thru link in email notice of your PM...

Site seems to be OK this AM; if no reply came thru site on PM system post here and will reply.

(2) Something I don't understand re' PM system---don't recall any prior email notices of PMs, but the other day noticed small red square on site home page up by toolbar, clicked on it out of curiosity, and site PM list came up

that I don't recall seeing before, with several messages. Yesterday tried clicking again on little red square; it disappeared but nothing came up. I'm not sure if because not a member or if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I have old messages I didn't know existed, and people think I just didn't reply?? Have inquiry into site now for help.

(3) This reply box wants to put whole message on one line...weird..

Cursory (eyeball) review of 4-5 old catalogs results in about 50 makes using the

7R (31/4x41/2,the 7R-8R "combination" or the 8R (33/8x41/2, heavily concentrated

in the "7R-8R" batch...

A 1925 ring catalog shows many instances of earlier models using 7R and later

using 8R, so it appears the 8R often replaced the 7R (Hanson 1920-22 7R, 1923-24

8R etc)...

While the 7R doesn't show up in a 1917 ring catalog it may've been installed as

early as 1917 in some Pennsy and Piedmont models, altho those show as "7W-7R", the

7W apparently a predecessor of the 7R. The 8R is in more later trucks, altho the

Defiance is listed with the 7R into 1930-31 (it wasn't unusual for leftover

engines at the end of their production life to wind up in trucks).

A 36 catalog shows the 7R and 8R share valves and bearings; hopefully they may've

also shared starters...

Bud, 

Thanks for all the research. Hopefully it will come in handy while I search for a replacement starter. The problem

I am having is that it is difficult to find anyone with a Continental engine or parts that aren't presently in their cars.

Its particularly hard to believe since these were such great engines and they were used in so many makes of

automobiles. You would think that there would be plenty of parts available. 

Paul 

Since I didn't run those makes thru the Std cat or Mroz, to see how many had 1-2-3

year lives, and have no prod figures to tell how many of the particular models

using the 7R-8R were produced,it's hard to tell how many were actually produced,

altho the long production run (1916-17? to very late 20s? for the 7R) is a good

sign...

Assuming you have the rest of the starter, keep in mind that the endplates of

other Remy starter models may well fit your housing, possibly later models if

yours is a "standard" size...

If you have all or most of the pieces, and can get a pic of it more or less

together showing the the brush mountings, with some dimensions, that might help...

Most important, of course, is the Remy model # if it still has it's tag; there're

a lot more older starters around than whole engines, considering WWII and other

scrap drives, plus the spikes in scrapiron/copper prices since...