50s Special, Super, Roadmaster Major Differences?

leon bee

Now that I'm getting all gung-ho back into cars, taking a little break from motorcycles, I'm starting to dangerously notice things like cars for sale classified ads. I love the early fifties buicks, would even kind of like to maybe own a straight 8.

I been reading, but here's something I haven't figured out yet: are there any physical differences between the Special and the others? Like, are they smaller in some way? Does a front fender from a Special fit a Super, or a Roadmaster if you ignore the missing porthole?

And if there are wheelbase differences, where do they remove or add body length? Things like that. I appreciate this forum and you guy's knowledge, THANKS!!

50 to 53 special is a small series :

Special

50 fenders 1 year

51 52 fenders same

53 fenders 1 year

50 super 1 year

51 52 super same

53 super Roadmaster same except portholes

50 Roadmaster 1 year ,  has Long wheelbase

51 52 roadmaster same , has long wheelbase

I think this is correct,

Bill

!950,  all series same width . Bumpers, grill interchange.  And these [ bumpers, grill ]  are one year only.  Special [ series 40] are all 121 1/2inch wb.  Super [series 50] are same with the exception of Mod 52, Riviera Sedan, which is 125 1/2 inch.  Roadmaster [70 series] is 126 1/2 inch with the exception of the Mod 72, Riviera Sedan, which is 130 1/2 inch.  

I believe Super and Special front fenders and hood are same.  Roadmaster should be longer due to larger engine. 

Dashes are all the same, I believe.   

'51 and '52 , the Special is a different, although similar,  body. Most , if not all, body parts on Super and Roadmaster are the same for '50-'52. Except venta ports are in the hood for '50.

The body length, on the longer wheel base Super and Roadmaster , is in the back floor board area. The Roadmaster basic longer wheel base is from cowl forward to accommodate the longer 320 CI engine.

Confused yet ???

Ben

• Like 1

Just to add my 2 cents, the 1953 Buick Specials were built on the GM "B" body, used also by Oldsmobile for the 88 and Super 88 models, and by some models of Pontiac. In some years the Olds 98 also used the B body, but I am not sure which years. The larger GM "C" body was used by most Cadillacs, Buick Super and Roadmaster and I believe the Olds 98. There were some Cadillacs, from 1941 to 1951 that used the GM B body and these were designated as Series 61. It is generally accepted that the Series 61 Cadillacs were the replacement for the LaSalle as production of this model ended in 1940.

In regard to 1953 Buicks, many body parts, but not all, are the same on the Super and the Roadmaster. However, being built on the smaller B body, the Special grille, front and rear bumpers, etc. are not the same as on the larger series.

1953 was the last year of the body design that started in 1950 or 1951. The 1954 bodies were longer, wider, and lower.

Joe, BCA 33493

Engines for 1950.  It does vary a little by year

Special = 248 ci

Super =  263 ci Bigger version of the 248 ci (they do swap)

Roadmaster = 320 ci (about 3" longer than a 248ci)

http://www.classiccardatabase.com/postwar-models/Buick.php

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/467.cfm

Sit in a few. You'll be surprised at how quickly you figure out the differences. One of the neatest experiences is to get out of a '56 Special and into a '56 Roadmaster.

Back around 1990 I had been using a '56 Olds 88 as my daily driver. A '56 Caddy Eldorado came in for some word. It's like getting out of an S10 and into a Silverado.

Bernie

Ben, where is the extra 5" in a 1950 72 verses a 52?  The doors measure the same (front and rear).  I think the rear fenders are the same too.  Seems to me like the only difference is the front fenders.  I have one of each but they are not side be side at the moment.  I did a little measuring some time back and can't see a difference in the cabin.  Only trim level.  Dave

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Boy, I almost stuck my foot in my mouth.  They are correct.  1951 was the last year for the Mod 51,  four door sedan.  I learned something new.  Thanks.

So all 1952 Super four door sedans are Mod 52 on the longer wheelbase.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)