Small Swaps vs Huge Swaps

Wowabunga

Large vs Small Swap Meets  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Where Do You Find the Best Stuff

• Small 1 Day Swap Meets
    • Huge 3-4 Day Swap Meets

I don't mind the small ones, but I LOVE the ones like the Portland, Oregon swap meet or Hershey. I know they wear me out, but there are so many more chances to find 1931 Dodge parts at a larger swap meet. I usually find the stuff I need at a space where the folks don't know what they have. The small swap meets rarely have what I need.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Buying....   Big and Small not too much stands out so I'm on the fence.  I can recall Killer Finds at both small and large.  I just like buy'n neat stuff...!!!

Selling... LOVE the small 1 day shows.  At $35 for a space I have a real chance of making a profit and I don't have to miss any days at work.  Big shows for me have a negative money flow, having to miss work hurts the pocketbook.  Also at the Big Shows... shoppers don't dig thru my stuff anymore.  Are they internet spoiled ???   I will not only dig thru your stuff... I'll climb up in your truck and help you unload the thing. :)

Case in point... I live 40 minutes from Carlisle but no longer vend due to negative returns.  But I can shop shop shop 5-6 shows a year.   Here's a goofy advertising prop I bought last fall at Carlisle... tried to say NO 3 times but just couldn't walk away at $10...... 

post-77523-0-34227500-1455316556_thumb.j

While I like both, its the local ones that capture my attention ... more personable & you (generally) have more time to talk to people ... sellers & buyers alike.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"I'm walking down the lonely street of dreams" __ Whitesnake __ 'Here I Go Again On My Own'

one day's are fine but to drive over 4 hours and see 10 vendors isn't worth it, that's why a two day or more should be std. it will draw more people in my opinion

The internet is giving us a great tool to find out which meets are worth the effort.  The Jersey Regions 1 day Sunday show ( used be called Cow Town Swapmeet ) is just amazing.  Worth the 3 hour drive.

Winchester VA has been a strong one day show for many years.   Bought 2 NOS 1930's jacks with handles ( I think they are Studebakers ) and they came with the NOS handles too... asking price $5 each.

Depends on a lot of things.  I can remember leaving home at 10PM and driving all night just to be early at a small PA swap meet up in Kempton.  It was fantastic!   I find that small local meets bring out the small local non-professional vendors and that's always been good.   Big meets are good but it seems like except for Hershey you have to walk a lot to find stuff.  Being an early car guy and collector of great early automobilia I have to walk past too many booths of mag wheels, bucket seats, T-shirts, etc. to find a table of brass lamps (if at all).  Hershey will always be king but there are still some great small-scale swap meets around that I'd love to find time for.   Good point also though about travel time.  Going to try the pre-war meet in Luray this year but am wondering about the time-line.  To get there for an early start on opening day means another day off work and an overnight stay at the other end of the state.   I feel like I really need to give it two days as there may be some newer vendors on day two.  That means Thurs/Fri would be the best shopping opportunities.  Heck I might as well take a vendor space and try to sell a few things too!

Got our own small event here if Virginia Beach coming up - see separate post on that.

Terry

Terry... vending and camping to me are one in the same.  Have you ever considered a VW Vanagon.... it's a hotel on wheels and they look good too.   Every dollar I spend on a hotel is money I could have spent on more "treasure".

Being on site 24/7 has it's advantages.   You get to see each vendor arrive and get first peek,   Satruday early AM.... show promoter also runs a local grocery store, if you place your order in Friday night he will deliver fresh doughnuts Saturday AM.

I'll be vending again this year at Luray, did one space last year... going for two this year.   Bought as much as I sold in 2015 at Luray. 

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)

Agree on the VW Westfalia camper. Great versatile vehicle.  Ours is over 30 years old.

Larry will the VW haul a trailer.  I have a  single axle trailer I'm vending out of right now.   Would love a VW Camper Van... but not sure it's set up for hauling tonage :)

Yup, can't beat vending and camping on the same spaces.  Did that for many years.  Those were the days! Slept in the van or a tent and it was all good, even if a bit chilly some nights.  Gotta funny story - was doing a big swap meet with a good friend who traveled down from NJ. We'd been doing this meet together for several years.  He always got there early and set up a small pup-tent that we slept in.  Our spaces were on a nice grassy area, and he always set the tent up on a nice thick patch of green grass that gave some extra cushion to our sleeping bags.  One year we stayed a day later than usual and helped the guy next to us pack up.  He had a nice big truck and the front half was partitioned off for sleeping quarters.  Didn't realize it but he had a small "potty" in there too, and last thing before he departed, he checked to see that nobody was looking, then dumped it on to the grassy area at the rear of the spaces.   So - EPA, look the other way, but now we know why that patch was so thick and green!!!

I eventually upgraded to staying in a friends motor home, I got spoiled a few years ago when we started staying in motels at Hershey because of AACA duties.  It was pretty comfy and I've been able to get in and out of the swap meet easily. Best part is that Sue can now go with me.  She enjoys shopping for MG stuff but also enjoys a nice bed, and a shower. 

I would love to get to Luray, unfortunately it conflicts with the AACA National Meet in Vineland NJ and I'll be there this year.   I hope that next time the date will be clear so I can attend.   I would probably try a small space at first and bring some brass lights, etc. 

Anxious for a full report on Luray along with some great pics of stuff laying on the tables that I missed.

Terry

Larry will the VW haul a trailer.  I have a  single axle trailer I'm vending out of right now.   Would love a VW Camper Van... but not sure it's set up for hauling tonage :)

The camper can tow a little bit, but it depends where and how fast you try to go.  I actually have a hitch on the van but I have not towed anything.  You can do a search on Vanagon towing and see what a lot of others say.  Very conservative comments on towing.

One of the biggest problems with towing a trailer is that people grossly underestimate the amount of weight put in the trailer.

I use a Chevy Silverado crew cab when I am towing and keep the camper for camping and road trips.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Hershey is the only big meet I attend, 47 years in a row this year. One day meets are great, sure wish there were more of them within a two hour drive. The local weekly general swap meet season starts in a month, never know what will show up there. Love pushing a cart around there and filling it up with things I may need or things to flip. Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

My commuter car is a 1990 Geo Metro Xfi ( 54mpg ) and it just took a crap in the middle of the highway, spitting out a poorly done sparkplug helio repair... this is the car I use to visit so many of the little swap meets.   Head is in the shop and hope'n to get back on the road real soon and hit some one day shows...!!!!

Headed to York this week for the Studebaker Swap... first time visit.