35/6 Auburn 851 SC Phaetons

Shawn Miller

There are about 70 Phaetons (between 8 cylinder S/C and non S/C cars) in the ACD Club (if I recall correctly) and I would guess another 10 to 15 not in the club - I believe Shawn is correct in that there are about 20 or so S/C in the ACD Club, though add in a fudge factor for safety (plus not all current S/C cars were born as such).  I have people all the time tell me it is a "Common Car" - well not common though you often see them as they are incredibly popular cars in the club (they run and handle beautifully (and on the highway at speed - perhaps one of the best pre-1954 American cars for drivability), comfortable seating position, a large trunk (unusual for a 30's car), glitzy, good parts availability, the top goes down, you can put your friends in it for dinner, and ...... (and that is why when you see 15 Phaetons at the ACD Festival you are actually seeing something rare - you are seeing a fair number of the surviving cars out for the weekend).

Shawn and I also will have my 1936 852 Phaeton (non-S/C) for sale sometime mid this year - an unrestored/partially 1960's restored car that was disassembled for re-restoration and that I am currently re-assembling.

And, both of the S/C phaetons Shawn has listed are good choices for any collectors.

Also, keep in mind that in 2015 a non-s/c Phaeton sold at Bohman's Amelia Island for close to $200,000.