1936 Buick Roadmaster 80

Fan belt change,  Need suggestions, There is not enough room to get the belt between the frame and the crankshaft counter balance.  Is this normal or was the engine installed on wrong mounts???  Also the clearance between the fan and the radiator is only about half an inch which seems too close to me.  The car had a frame off restoration about 21 years ago and I just bought it so just getting into it.  

Now you know there should be enough room under the crank damper to slide a fan belt !

I cannot imagine the corner gas station "back in the day" would take the time to jack up the motor to change a belt.

As for the clearance from the fan to the radiator, see above !

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

Does your engine still have the left and right engine side pans?

Does it still retain the FRONT ENGINE PAN?

I had the same problem with my 1936 Century but managed ( with much difficulty - swearing and the usual scrapped knuckles ) to get the belt over the counterbalance.

If the front engine pan is still present you may have to remove it to facilitate fitment of your fan belt.

The front engine pan sits directly under the pully and counterbalance. A bolt secures it on each side to the left and right pans and if memory serves me another two bolts secure it to the rear of the front cross member ( threaded holes so you don't need to secure a nut from below ).

The front engine pan is frequently missing so I am guessing when a serviceman or owner replaced his first fanbelt the front engine pan was left off.

A very difficult area to work in on a 36 so if you can manage to cajole the new belt in without removing the pan it saves a lot of time.

I put the belt over the fan blades first without placing it in its position on the hub and left it off the generator. This gives plenty of slack in the belt to try and force it between the front pan and counterbalance. The front pan is only tinplate and you may be able to force it down a little. Once you get the belt onto its pulley behind the counterbalance you can put it onto the fan pulley, then the generator pully and tighten it by swinging the generator away from the engine.

My fan blades run about 1" from the radiator but I have seen them running closer than that.

Good luck and make sure you have the swear tin and a jar of goanna cream or emu oil handy.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)
  • Like 1

THANKS to all for the responses.  For Mr. Syme in Australia, Thanks for the detail.  Over the last couple of days have removed all the side pans and front pan for various projects and will leave them off for the time being.  Now have solved the belt problem with a "Power Twist" V-Belt.  As I need to move on to the windshield wiper problem (no vacuum) ?pump replacement needed? and rust in the fuel tank.  Trying to get ready for a 600 mile tour on 1st  week of March.  You are correct about "a very difficult area to work on a 36".  Thanks again for the good words...  Ed.

My '41 Roadmaster was very similar to change the fan belt on. It uses a very thick belt, which I believe is similar to the earlier models.

I think that when they were new and the rubber motor mounts had not sagged yet there was just enough room to slide the belt through, but many years later, of course, its' even tougher than "back in the day".

Keith

• Like 1