Help selling...

Guest Fordman

Well my best experience has been here, because you can't beat the price,  a trip through craigslist,  You can't beat a local buyer that can actually look at it,  along with an add in Hemmings and possibly a run through Ebay.  Sometimes ebay is a pain but it is really good exposure for the price.  Might even be free if you don't sell much on their.  You never know where that interested buyer will be looking.  Of course price and quality will determine how fast it sells.  If it's less than most or better than most for the same money,  you will have more interest.   I know not everyone likes the styling of 48 Lincolns so they me be a tad harder sell than say an early vette that has a much larger following, but there are people that like them.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Take Auburn's advice!  Well said.

Might I add... A big part of advertising cars on the internet are the pictures.  I say, "People fall in love in their computer chairs."  Hire an amateur photographer for $75-$150 to take some nice pictures with a background with little to no distractions.

Best of luck with the sale.

Guest bkazmer

instead of the most people, the goal is the most interested buyers.  I would think the CCCA and Lincoln Club would provide a small but focused group.

Yes, but sometimes the most knowledgeable people can be the biggest pain in the backside and tighter than a fishes ****** as well

Ebay, craigs, and collector car magazines and not forgetting (assuming you can move it) car shows

How many times do you hear someone going on at a car show how they wished they had a car they could show or cruise in

Pictures are a must (and lots of them), basically, no picture will = no sale

Good luck

Mick

Guest bkazmer

good advice on lots of photos.  And lots of interior photos!  A pet peeve of mine is the ad with 15 exterior shots, 1 interior, 1 engine bay

To me the undercarriage is really important. No picture of that means not of interest to me. And 'photo' means high resolution and sharp, taken at least by an experienced photographer with some close ups that you have a chance to judge on general paint, chrome and interior quality. Good light conditions are a must, like in the late afternoon when the sun light comes from the side and not from above...

Best, Hans

There is no best place to sell. My recommendation is to take some really good photos of all four sides, engine compartment, trunk, interior. You cannot take to many photos. Most Important: Set a fair price. Do not list and say "make an offer" . Know the value of your car. Search the internet and look for a similar car in similar condition. Remember that asking price is not the sale price. Comparing one car to another is like comparing apples and oranges. Be realistic. Research has to be more than seeing one sell at Barrett Jackson.

Guest RIP_Kustoms

whether your selling on craigs, ebay, hemmings, or what have you, the number one thing like everyone's stated is pictures, clearer the better, detailed shots of the good, bad or ugly. nobody wants to show up on a car and realize the seller left out a key trouble area. All that said the number 2 thing is key words. I do alot of business through ebay and my own website and key words are critical in catching search engines. the more descriptive the write up the more words get caught by things like google, which means when joe blow types in something their looking for then people who have those kinda words in their write ups will pop up in the search engine. i wont go into meta-tags and how they get used, but just try to think of it as if you were going to buy it or you were looking for xyz. Then try to think of it how your buddies have searched for xyz or in my case how my customers might be looking for xyz.

Great pics and great description can go a long way in others being able to find it. if your car is a generational car like production run of a particular style was from 19xx thru 19xx then include every year in the key words or additional information, if it's similar to another car then include the other model(s) if there's other ways to describe it then do so. your not lying your just comparing it to something else and you really never know if someones looking for exactly what you have or something similar to another model, besides buying a car 9/10 people don't really know what they want until they see it. they might just be looking for a 1940's Cont, but don't really know what year they want.

Last rule on write ups is honesty. builds trust before you ever exchange phone numbers if you point out something that needs attention or are very detailed within the write up the buyer assumes you not only know what your talking about, but you also know your car and are open to telling them up front as best you can the condition on anything they might ask. People will always ask for more details & most likely more pics so i would be prepared to have the camera at the ready. 

Best of Luck!

whether your selling on craigs, ebay, hemmings, or what have you, the number one thing like everyone's stated is pictures, clearer the better, detailed shots of the good, bad or ugly. nobody wants to show up on a car and realize the seller left out a key trouble area. All that said the number 2 thing is key words. I do alot of business through ebay and my own website and key words are critical in catching search engines. the more descriptive the write up the more words get caught by things like google, which means when joe blow types in something their looking for then people who have those kinda words in their write ups will pop up in the search engine. i wont go into meta-tags and how they get used, but just try to think of it as if you were going to buy it or you were looking for xyz. Then try to think of it how your buddies have searched for xyz or in my case how my customers might be looking for xyz.

Great pics and great description can go a long way in others being able to find it. if your car is a generational car like production run of a particular style was from 19xx thru 19xx then include every year in the key words or additional information, if it's similar to another car then include the other model(s) if there's other ways to describe it then do so. your not lying your just comparing it to something else and you really never know if someones looking for exactly what you have or something similar to another model, besides buying a car 9/10 people don't really know what they want until they see it. they might just be looking for a 1940's Cont, but don't really know what year they want.

Last rule on write ups is honesty. builds trust before you ever exchange phone numbers if you point out something that needs attention or are very detailed within the write up the buyer assumes you not only know what your talking about, but you also know your car and are open to telling them up front as best you can the condition on anything they might ask. People will always ask for more details & most likely more pics so i would be prepared to have the camera at the ready. 

Best of Luck!

Very well put.