Off my rocker? What gives with 1956 replacement rocker panels?

SpecialEducation

One of the advantages to having a black car is the way the rust holes disappear into the shadows...

About 20 years ago, I ordered a pair of rocker panels from JC Whitney (I was young) as a father's day present for dad.  Upon opening the package, we found that the profile of the panels was completely wrong.  Initially, we thought we might be able to modify them to make them work, but I'm not quite convinced that's doable.  As they've been kicking around, we've considered different options for making the repairs (the rust holes are still very small) but haven't done anything about them.

Dad decided he's going to get this knocked out this year, so he did some looking around and found a place that looked like they'd have what he's looking for.  Dad gave them a call and told him about the panels he had and how they were wrong, and the guy *promised* dad that these would fit great without any additional forming needed.  Dad was pretty excited.

The panels came on Friday, and dad is pretty bummed.  They look EXACTLY like the ones we've had for 20 years.  The template on the left is a pattern dad made off the car, and the replacement panel on the right.  We have wondered if the intent was to attach the top and bottom, and let the flat section curve where it wants to, but if that's the case, why is the large flat area flanged on the ends?

What are the chances that 2 sets of panels ordered 20 years apart are wrong in the exact same manner?  Surely it's not our car that is 'wrong', is it?  What gives here?

post-154695-0-27271600-1454908870_thumb.

I've had the same situation with panels for my '36 Dodge. The seller swore up and down that the part would fit like original but when I received it, it wasn't even close! He claimed that the pattern was taken from an original and that it fit for other customer's cars. Compared to my original part, it would have never fit, even with some tweeking. To his credit, the seller did take it back and refunded my money but it makes me hesitant to order any other hand made parts. I don't know why they can't reproduce part exactly like the originals especially when they have original parts for patterns. Maybe it's cost or maybe, maybe it's the lack of skilled metalworkers or maybe they just don't care but it shows up in almost all reproduction parts for every make. There are some really nice repro parts out there though and I do appreciate the manufactures who go the extra mile to make sure that their parts are as correct as possible. Hope you can find the correct part or someone who can make them for you at a fair price.

That looks to be the inner rocker panel. 

Now, before I get bashed, I will readily admit that I have nothing other to go on except visual evidence.  I never replaced mine.  But the flat tab, on the left side of the pictured piece, appears to go under the car floor, not on top for a door sill.  The outer piece on my 2 door Super appears to be part of the quarter panel.

Which may mean the best approach to rust repair is a patch.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Nope not an inner,  just  typical  repro trash. The ones you have were made using only a bending brake which will not form the curved profile. Try to find an old repro pair made by Scovil mfg. They are pretty close to correct. The "Rocker King" may have a pair. Failing that it's possible to put the correct curve into the ones you have keeping in mind that nothing repro will be an exact fit and will need to be tweaked as required and finished with a bit of body putty.............Bob 

• Like 2

Send the new panels back and use the metal in the old JCW panels to fabricate patches.  Even if you found NOS exact panels, it is a huge job to install.  I bought some replacement panels made when these cars were contemporary and they were 'caps'  designed to be installed over the existing panels and not suitable for remove/replace.

To make reproduction panels to fit like original, they need to be form pressed like the panels were originally

The repair sections got for my 60 dodge were helpful if they were cut up and used in small sections, as a full lower section (fixing the wheel arch on the rear 1/4) they were hopeless, no chance of fitting, rockers were about the same (4dr), but no real choice there as the dodge ones are heavily sculpted and not just a gentle curve

Mick