Seen from Freeway

bob duffer

The Jaguar saloon is a MK 7, produced from ca. '51-'57.  It is not worth restoring, but as an un-scavenged car, there are some fine pickings that someone should pursue, (legally) for instance, the tri-bar headlights, the dash and horn button manette assembly, and most of the running gear, which have application to the much more valuable XK 120 Jaguar sports cars, parts for which are always being sought.  Wish it were near here!

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

Can you believe those boats were actually raced? We restored one of these a few years ago that had been taken apart by another resto shop that lost most of the electricals and many small chrome bits.Thought we'd never find all the parts.  My brother drove one as his daily driver way back in 1970 or so. At one time we had 3 of them, various years.  Actually pretty snappy performers for their size. Hope to never work on another!

Wow, right near my old stompin grounds!  Those cars were a preference of the "rust bug," and considering it's in Michigan, would guess there might be some issues with crumbling metal.  An interesting car.  I once found one in an estate in Scotland that had been put away during the gas crisis, and every year the old guy who owned it would wipe it down with fresh (used) motor oil.  It had an inch thick coating of dusty oil all over it but otherwise was nicely preserved.  The interior was beautifull but you'd probably never get the smell of old oil out of it.   Terry

The smaller 3.4/3.8 was often raced and looks similar but not the big boats. As mention the running gear is the same as the equivalent XKs but often had a BW automagic in this country. 

AFAIAC the only ones worth having would be either a MK V (drop head) or a MK IX (disk brakes). VIIs and VIIIs had terrible drum bakes. Wasn't a MK VI.

ps easy way to tell is a VII has a split windscreen and the VIII doesn't.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

They were known as the Wardour Street Bentley. Looks, luxury and performance of a Bentley at half the price. This meant some corners had to be cut and it showed when they got old, in the deterioration of the veneered dash and door cappings, upholstery, rusty tinwork and of course faulty wiring and electrical accessories. But the engine, transmission, and chassis were first rate.

Tom McCahill had one of the first ones sold in the US in 1951. He was impressed with the performance which was comparable to a V8 Cadillac or Chrysler from a six cylinder engine smaller than a Plymouth.

The smaller 3.4/3.8 was often raced and looks similar but not the big boats. As mention the running gear is the same as the equivalent XKs but often had a BW automagic in this country. 

AFAIAC the only ones worth having would be either a MK V (drop head) or a MK IX (disk brakes). VIIs and VIIIs had terrible drum bakes. Wasn't a MK VI.

ps easy way to tell is a VII has a split windscreen and the VIII doesn't.

There was no Jaguar "MK VI" produced.

We did a '51 MK VII with stick shift. Only one I ever saw that wasn't automatic. Customer had Barrett, I believe, make a full interior kit for it. Always had a fondness for them. We bought a '57 at Manheim Auto Auction in 1970 or so for $700. Bentley class at 1/4 the price and about 1/10 the build quality.

Speaking of bad brakes. XK140s are also notorious for having ineffective drum brakes. Tiny little wheel cylinders. In 1967 I mangled both my knees in an auto accident. Even after I could walk again I had to use both feet on the brake pedal of the 140 to get her to stop in a reasonable distance. Quite a trick if you know how little foot space there is in an XK Jag.