1927 Pierce Arrow Model 36 Limo

Hupp36

• 6 months later...

Just 8  weeks  left before  I  can  take the Pierce  Arrow out of  winter  storage and drive a  real  car.  Its   a  long  winter when  you  can  not  drive a car  that makes you  feel like  a  million bucks.  I  did manage to  get  the  front fender  of  the  1926  Ajax repaired so  I  can  sell  that  car  when  I  get  back home.

Chuck, I hope you and this wonderful Pierce are planning to attend the PAS Annual Meet in June at Pokegon State Park near Angola, IN, just over the line from Ohio.  See Greg Long's post further up in this thread.  We'll have three days of touring with excellent waypoint attractions, and a judged show on Saturday.  GREAT networking opportunity!

You need to move south! We moved to North Carolina in July from Maine and I have not bothered with fuel stabilizers this winter, I had my Model T out at least once a month, usually two or three times and we took our “new” 1931 Model 43 to the Cape Fear Chapter AACA Show this past Saturday. Something I would not have dreamed of doing in all my life up north, what a difference!

I really wish we could make the PAS meet in Indiana, but thanks to the damage Hurricane Florence did to our local schools my wife will still be working that week... hopefully next year it will be close enough to drive.

8A6B45E9-5EE5-4E38-87BE-1AFFF5629DAB.jpeg

• Like 1

Well I  took the  car  to  N.H.  because  i  was  worried about  it    getting destroyed in a hurricane. Its locked inside  a  steel trailer, inside a  steel  building so mother  nature can  not  harm a piece of  history. When  Dale blessed me  with  this  car,  I  told  him  i  would  keep it  safe. If  I  can  sell the  1926  Ajax  when  we  get  home, there is  a  good  possibility we  can take  the  Pierce  to  Indiana.  George and  Mark,  thank  you  for  the  encouragement. 

• 1 month later...

Well in  two weeks I  will  be  able to  drive a  car  that a poor  boy  like  me only  dreamed of  owning. Hopefully the  snow  will be  gone  and the  roads salt  free. If  not  at  least  I can check it  all  out  and  get  it  ready for touring when  the  roads  are  ok.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw your ad in the PAS emporium.
Very sorry to hear that you must sell your beautiful Pierce.

You may want to post it here although I have heard others say this site isn't the greatest for selling cars.

When   Dale told me  he  wanted  me  to  have  this  car when  he  was no  longer here, he also  said,  Chuck,  I  know that you  are  not a  rich  man  and  you  may  have to  sell  the  Pierce Arrow in  order  to  keep  it in  the  great  condition its  in. I  cannot find  the  words to  tell people  how  sad it makes me  to  be  faced with  what  I  have  to  do.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well  things do  not  look  good  for  me  selling  the  car, got  an offer and  my  next  door neighbor paid  $20,000 more for  a pickup  truck than  I  was  offered.  I  will not  take less  than  I  feel its  worth.

• 3 weeks later...

That is great news.

Your Pierce is a wonderful car and with your emotional attachment and labor of love it's been for you, it should stay with you for a long while.

Took the  Pierce to the  Charity Concours of  N.H. I  was  very  pleased  when the  Pierce got  2  trophy's.  They  will  go  to  Fl.  and  be  placed with  the other  trophy's  that  the  Pierce   received when  my  good  friend  Dale owned  it. The first one  was  The  Boston  Cup. This  trophy is  given with an  invitation  to the  Boston Cup  car  show  on the  Boston  Common. It  is  by  special  invitation  only.  Only  100  cars. The  second  trophy  was for  Pre  war american  cars. I  was  the  only  car  that  got  2 trophy's. See Pic.    These  are  for  Dale,  the  Pierce is  my  Trophy.

Not  Do No 003.jpg

Not  Do No 004.jpg

Not  Do No 006.jpg

Not  Do No 007.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The  feeling  was  mutual, to  see Bugatti's  Duesenberg, although it  was  a replica and  a Rolls-Royce and  so  many  great cars at  one  show  was just the  icing  on the cake. Its  hard  to  believe so  many  great  cars  were in one place in  a small  town  in  N.H.  

• 1 month later...

Well after a lot  of  thinking, I  signed up  for  the   Littleton Lions car  show on Saturday and  Sunday. September 28th  and  29th I am  over half  way on  my  Chemo and  radiation still  feeling strong  enough to  make  this  show. I  am sorry that  I  can  not  make  the  Boston  Cup  show  as the  Pierce  would  have made a  good  showing. I will post  some  pic after  I  go  to  Littleton.

• 1 month later...

On  Oct. 12th not feeling I  had  enough strength to  drive  the  Pierce Arrow 30  miles each  way to  the  show  at Shaker  Village, I  used my  enclosed trailer. I had  the  trailer attached  to  my dump truck  and  decided to use  my  F--250 pickup.to  haul the  car  to  the  show.  When I  backed the  Pierce out  of  the  trailer, the trailer ball came out  the  receiver. The  pin that  held the  ball on  was  missing. Not too  far away  from  where I  was  parked  the  Studebaker Club members had  a row of there cars parked. As  I  pulled in to  park the  Pierce at  the  show at  least 3   members of  the  Studebaker club  came over  and  said if  you  give  us  the  key  to  your  truck,  we  will  see if  we  can see what  is  wrong  with your  trailer. After a while they  came  back  and  said, there is  no  pin  in  the  trailer  ball. I  told  them there were 2  more  balls in  the  pickup and  there should be  a pin  in  one. Not  long  after they  came  back  with  my  keys  and  said,  you are all  set.  I  thanked them  for  helping me  as  I  could not  have fixed it  my  self.  They are a  fine group of car people.   They took  time away from the  show to  help a  fellow car  guy  in  need.   I am very grateful for  there help

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Put the  car in  winter  storage. Called the  insurance  company to  take  off  the  total coverage, to  put in  on  comp,  fire  and  theft as  the  car would  not  be  on  the  road  until May  2020. I  was  shocked when  they  said  we  do  not  offer  comp insurance.I  have 2  cars and  2  trucks  on  comp  insurance with  another  company for  the  winter  as  I  do  not  drive  them in  the  winter.  I will not say  who  the  company is but it  is  one  of  the  most  expensive company  out  there.  

Your issue with your insurance company is why I just keep mine fully insured all year regardless of usage.

Hope your health issues are improving and you'll be out enjoying your beautiful Pierce again, soon.

Well  I  just thought  that with 5  vehicles fully insured and  I  can  only  drive  1  in the winter to save  a  little money,  being on  a  fixed  income just put  them  on  comp. Thank  you  for the  comment on  my  health  issue. I  will be  having a  pet scan this  next Thursday to  see  if  I  am  cancer clear.  I  will  post the  results when  I  find  out. I  love my  Pierce  Arrow but,  if  the  cancer is  not  gone, I  will  have  to  sell it.   

• 2 weeks later...

I  Just received a  phone call from my  doctor that what she is seeing on the  pet  scan is  inflammation and  not cancer. She is  a  great doctor. I  trust her  judgement very  much. With  a lot  of  help  and  support,  we  kicked cancer.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Wow over 10,000 views, my  only  wish is that Dale was  still here to see. I  am  still trying to  figure out what I  ever did in  this world to  own  this  piece of  history. I  would like to  think  Dale loved that car  so  well that he  knew  that  i  would  cherish it  as  much  as  he  did. I  know that  I  will  see him  again. 

• Like 1

I  had a Cat  scan last Thursday.  Went  to  see the  ENT doctor on  Tuesday,  Ear, nose and  throat. He informed me  that  the  Cat  scan  was  clear and  I  am  still  cancer  free.  By  the  last  week of  April I  will be  back up  North and  should  be  able to  get  the  Pierce out  of  winter storage and  get  it  out  on  the  road. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I  sure wish  me  and the  wife were back  in  N.H.  We could take  a nice ride in the Pierce  Arrow  around  Newfound lake, stop in  Hebron and  get  an  ice  cream. That  would  sure beat sitting in  the  house in Florida. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made a  successful tripe back to  N.H., can  not  take the  Pierce out for  a ride because of  2  days of  rain. In 4 years the  only water that been on the  car is  when I  washed  it.

That pic is  from the brochure that was given out  when a person would  inquire about buying a  new  Pierce Arrow. Note that  the  pic  I  posted of the  interior of  my  car  has been made the  same.

Limo 014.JPG

• Like 1

Got the  car  home today  out of double locked storage. After a close examination it was  noted that the  design on the  back of  the  seats are hand  stitched as the  original  seats. Can  you  imagine how  long  it  took  to  do  this  one  stitch  at  a time. Another clue as  to  the  expense of  this  restoration.

Well it  finally  stopped  raining.We  went  for  a ride  around  Newfound  Lake.Took  a couple  of  pic  at  the  end  of  the  lake with  my  phone. Sun  was in  my  face so  I  could  not  get a  good  pic. 

Limo 034.jpg

Limo 032.jpg

Limo 035.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well on  August 1st.  from  10:00 till 2:00 in  the  small  town  of  Bridgewater N.H. there is  a car  show.  If you  would like  to  see one  of the  finest cars  made in  AMERICA in  N.Y. here is  your chance

• Like 2

I  went  to  the  local  pizza place and  found  out  the  car  show  in  Bridgewater N.H. is  a  parade around Newfound  lake  and  not  a show. I  guess with  this  virus that  they  do  not  want  close  contact  with  the  public. I  will  take my  Hupmobile  instead of  the  Pierce.

• 2 weeks later...

Got  to  the  tour  and  there  were  already  50  to 100 cars  there and  guess who  went  to  the  front of the  line  and  lead  the  tour  around  the  lake. The  Pierce  was  the  second  oldest  car but  i  knew how  to  get  around the  lake  and   the  beautiful 1926 dual cowl open  Packard person  was  not  from  around  the  area and did not  want  to  lead..The  Pierce  did not  let  me  down , we  went  around the  lake  2  times  My  speedometer went  to  not  registering  so  I  had  to  wing  it. The  police  chief of  Bridgewater let  me  out on  Rt 3  north  and  said maintain  the  40 mph  speed  limit  as  no  one  has  a  parade permit. Gee I  wonder  who   would get  arrested for  NO  permit. I  must  have  dune well, because they  told  me  I  was  a  good  leader.   It  was  fun time. I  hope  to  post a pic  from  the  local  newspaper when it  comes  out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While I  was  turning  around, I  had  to  back  up,  while shifting  into first  gear, the  shift  lever  broke  off in my  hand. I  drilled  and  tapped threads in  both  sections  and will  look for  one  that  is  not  broken.  In  the  mean  time  I  will  either braze  or  electric weld depending  on  what  my  tool  maker  friend  advises me  to  do. See pic

's.

DSC04173.JPG

DSC04174.JPG