Best paint for 64 dash trim

64Rivvy

I'm repainting the matte silver on my dash panels as I redo my interior. I would also like to repaint the black on all my dash trim strips that run around the edges of the dash panels because the black is flaking off in some places.

I am going to scuff and repaint these while I have them off. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best brand and color black to use? I've been using rustoleum satin black for a lot of parts, but not sure that is going to be the correct color and finish for the trim strips. Thanks.

If you know of an old auto body supply/paint shop, they may have reference manuals containing color codes for all interior colors and finish for your year. Each GM division published this material for years and probably still do. These manuals also contain paint codes for exterior trim pieces, rims, trunk spatter,etc. There are notes in these manuals that tell the technician how much reducer to mix in to arrive at the right gloss. There are a number of rattle cans on the market that come close as well but it is hit or miss until you find the right one.

You also need to consider that unless what you're painting is held up side by side with a known color, the naked eye cannot differentiate subtle color differences.  As long as everything in you car is the same color and it's very close, no one will be able to compare it to anything in another car.

A long time ago, I did the accounting for a company called "Dr. Vinyl and Associates" - Vinyl repair and other cosmetic operations.  I used to listen in at their weekly meetings when the techs would get together for sharing new techniques.  One tech said that he came across a sliver car that had had the left rear door repainted.  It was off a couple of shades and was pretty obvious.  By installing a chrome door edge guard on the front door and the back door and isolating any two colors from being seen side by side, you could not tell that the door was a different shade than the front door and the rear fender. 

If you have something that is still original, you can take it to your local auto body paint supply jobber and they have a machine that can scan the color and create a formula for reproducing it.

Ed

That's a good point Ed. I know my local sherwin williams will do color matching and then put it into an aerosol spray can.  I think I will go that route if no one knows of an off the shelf rattle can paint because they are really close to me.  I don't need it to be exact, just close and I think the sheen is the most important on this.  It seems to be somewhere between flat and satin.  

Thanks,

Raul

I've been re painting stuff on my 63 interior for the last few years. Luckily I'm doing mine in black which is more forgiving. It seems like I've tried all manner of paints, stuff from The Home Depot, from CARS, from Year One, from OPGI. Along the way I've discovered a few things: First "satin" ain't always so, "semi-gloss" is open to interpretation and "flat" is usually exactly the finish you'd expect. Second, the durability of paint varies widely, it's hard to scratch Rustoleum paints but a lot of the specialized SEM or OEM type reproduction paints are more delicate. In the end, I've used mostly three paints on the inside and they sort of defy the conventional logic:

Rustoleum satin black on hard plastic interior parts (console, lower dash etc) versus SEM GM Landau black which came out looking like flat black primer-really terrible. This paint is also really tough and a lot of the parts take a beating. It's got a little shine, but I consider it a true satin.

SEM GM Landau black for really soft plastic or metal positioned next to vinyl (like the 2 pieces between the back seat buckets) -no idea why it looks fine on some stuff but terrible on others. 

Eastwood Underhood Black for trim with a black inlay (around dash, inside gauges) looks good but is really tender so be careful when handling after it cures. It is like flat, but not dull looking. Sort of a very low satin. 

So, not sure why, but taken as a whole the entire thing looks great and if there is a disparity in color or finishes, I can't tell. I am convinced there isn't one paint that can work on all surfaces. PRL

Greetings, 64Rivvy       I recently replaced my '65's center console, which was cracked and missing its upper mounting tabs.  For what it's worth, I tried several brands & finishes on it's replacement, experimenting on the old console, before settling on Krylon black semigloss. I applied 5 coats with a 000 steelwooling between each. A few minutes after the last coat I was not happy with the uneven finish and set the project aside out of frustration. When I finally looked at it again several days later, I was surprised to find it had "aged" to a perfect, even finish. just a minute ago I went out to check it to make sure I wasn't delusional, and I can honestly say it looks like a factory finish.... and I absolutely cannot scratch it with my fingernail. I will probably forgo the clear coat I had planned for it.   Krylon cans also feature a nifty fan-pattern nozzle which can be rotated from vertical to horizontal. I is a major improvement over the usual cone-pattern spray head. Anyhoo best of luck on your project. Post some pics if you can figure out how to (andthenletmeknow)    Rivnik

Post some pics if you can figure out how to (andthenletmeknow)    Rivnik

Next to the black post button is a "more reply options" button.  Click on it and you'll see your message on a different screen but this time with more options.

Now scroll down to the paper clip and click on the Choose Files button.  From there, you can browse for attachments (pictures.)  Open you pictures, click on the one you want, open it, and it will appear at the bottom of your reply.  When you see the attachments, click on the upload link. Wahh Lahh, your pictures are now part of your reply.

Ed

Thanks guys.  I ordered the Eastwood underhood black and will also look for the Krylon and spray a few test panels out to see which looks closest.  I re-sprayed the dash panels with rustoleum matte nickel and the color and finish came out spot on.  I actually can't believe how nice it came out.  Will post some pics once I reinstall the dash. Just waiting on the duct ball/vent felt that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. 

If only someone made reproductions of the finned aluminum panels on the dash, I could make it 100% perfect.  Mine are in good shape but still have a few dings and scratches.  

Thanks guys.  I ordered the Eastwood underhood black and will also look for the Krylon and spray a few test panels out to see which looks closest.  I re-sprayed the dash panels with rustoleum matte nickel and the color and finish came out spot on.  I actually can't believe how nice it came out.  Will post some pics once I reinstall the dash. Just waiting on the duct ball/vent felt that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. 

If only someone made reproductions of the finned aluminum panels on the dash, I could make it 100% perfect.  Mine are in good shape but still have a few dings and scratches.  

Have you considered getting some flat aluminum stock and running through a bead roller?  Could be your next cottage industry.

Ed

Greetings, 64Rivvy       I recently replaced my '65's center console, which was cracked and missing its upper mounting tabs.  For what it's worth, I tried several brands & finishes on it's replacement, experimenting on the old console, before settling on Krylon black semigloss. I applied 5 coats with a 000 steelwooling between each. A few minutes after the last coat I was not happy with the uneven finish and set the project aside out of frustration. When I finally looked at it again several days later, I was surprised to find it had "aged" to a perfect, even finish. just a minute ago I went out to check it to make sure I wasn't delusional, and I can honestly say it looks like a factory finish.... and I absolutely cannot scratch it with my fingernail. I will probably forgo the clear coat I had planned for it.   Krylon cans also feature a nifty fan-pattern nozzle which can be rotated from vertical to horizontal. I is a major improvement over the usual cone-pattern spray head. Anyhoo best of luck on your project. Post some pics if you can figure out how to (andthenletmeknow)    Rivnik

I'm pulling my console to try and repair those pesky tabs and to do some other work in there so I'm giving serious thought to following through on your Kyrlon (was it fusion or the regular stuff?) and 000 steelwool idea!  If that works the rest of the dash is coming out for a redo!

• 2 years later...

I'd like to give thanks to 64Rivvy for calling out the brand and model of satin paint that matches our dashes. Even two years after this thread I was able to head down to Home Depot and buy some right off the shelf. In the attached pictures I've got a scrap of dash painted with the Rustoleum showing through where the courtesy light would be. The Rustoleum goes a little more toward the gray spectrum than the silver, but the gloss level looks great. I will note for the group I used Dupli-Color adhesion promoter on the first painting of the scrap and it ended up with kind of an acid etching look. I sanded it all down and just sprayed Rustoleum and it turned out fine. That's 5 coats on the scrap in the picture. 

paint.jpg

IMG_2243.JPG

Years ago I performed what I consider to be a definitive comparison between Krylon & Rustoleum. I had always trusted Rustoleum products, but was a little aggravated that my local Home Depot only carried their brand. When the competitor opened up nearby I took the opportunity to buy the Krylon versions of the same colors & finishes and applied them both to similar surfaces under the same conditions. Without a doubt Krylon is far superior in all categories. I find it humorous that they are like Coke & Pepsi, with obvious contractual agreements to limit certain retailers to their product only. But thats biz I guess.