FS: Recently Refurbished 1951 Cadillac Coupe DeVille in S. Georgia $21,900

Been awhile since my last post, but here is one of my latest acquisitions. Let me know your thoughts.

1951 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Exterior paint presented in two-tone Green complemented by Gray cloth interior.

Features include:

* 331 C.I. OHV V-8 engine
* Hydramatic transmission
* 12 volt electrical system upgrade with alternator for reliable charging & easy starting
* Radio, clock, & heater
* Fender skirts
* Wide white wall bias ply tires

Recent refurbishments done in 2015 include new paint, complete new interior, trunk compartment lining, brake overhaul, new exhaust system, new wide white wall bias ply tires, & 12 volt electrical system conversion. Body & undercarriage are solid. Overall I rate to be a #3 driver quality Caddy that would be easy to bring up to the next condition level. 

Please call Stuart @ 912-634-4949 for complete details. Car is located inside my storage building in Nashville, GA (SE Georgia) & shown by appointment only. 

To see complete photos, please click on the icon below:

http://www.brandoncollection.com/vehicleimageall.aspx?cmb=0|260995557%20%20|359457

Offered @ $21,900    

Thanks for looking & keep the nice comments coming.

Stuart a/k/a Reatta Vice

St. Simons Island, GA                               

• Like 1

That seems to be a steal!! Looks like a great car for a very reasonable price. If I would not have purchased a 1950 Club Coupe just 4 weeks ago and would not dislike green as a a color for cars that would be mine... Impressive! Good luck with the sale. Best, Hans

That seems to be a steal!

Hans, it's right in line with one of my price guides for a #3 condition car.

Being in Germany, you may be accustomed to higher prices due to import expenses;

or else you see vastly optimistic asking prices of dealers and other sellers.

It's nice to see a car fairly priced, and Stuart's car should find a good home.

Hi John, you are right, usually such rare cars are here overly priced and you pay 50% more due to the rarity of these cars here. And what you would consider a #3 car is been seen by the seller at least as #2, making it even more expensive.

I paid for my #4-5 car 9000 Eur, ca 10.000 USD. Built only 6500 times this was okay for me for its condition. Import costs would be at 3000 Eur, to find such a car for 6000 Eur at yout end would have been impossible. The interior is in great shape, dashboard and door panels etc like new, and it has virtually no rust, but paint and Chrom need some attention. I love the body style, like the one my 53 Roadmaster has. Simply fantastic design and I am always impressed by its size and stunning presence due to the flowing lines and round curves. I like that on cars (and on the other gender as well, by the way). :-)

Yes, I guess this green one sells quickly. The only backdrop on this 51 (and my 50) is the lack of power steering and brakes, I guess. Happy that my 56 Caddy and my Roadmaster have both. When I switch from my 56 Caddy to my normal winter car, the Audi TT, I always feel like the Audi is a car for kids, so small and tiny with a hard ride, little outsight view. And I ask myself what has really happened in over 60 years of technology after this Caddy was put together. You guys really led the crowd in those days... .

best,

Hans

• Like 1

Hi John, you are right, usually such rare cars are here overly priced...

And I ask myself what has really happened in over 60 years of technology after this Caddy was put together. You guys really led the crowd in those days... .

best,

Hans

Hans, I have noticed that many asking prices in the last 10 to 15 years

are much more than a car is worth.  Sometimes the asking price is DOUBLE

a car's value--especially when some dealers are trying to sell them.

I prefer to buy from a caring, long-term owner who knows his car well.

But since 2008, when the world economy weakened, some asking prices

are more reasonable.

We in the U. S. A. and Canada still have big pick-up trucks.

Higher gasoline prices beginning in the 1970's created more interest

in smaller cars.  And our federal government effectively forced smaller cars

by requiring higher gas mileage for automobiles.  But you can't fit a 

family of 5 or 6 comfortably in a Toyota Camry and drive 3000 miles

(5000 kilometers) for a 3-week vacation!

Thank you guys for your kind words & opinions. Yes, I think I have offered this car for a very competitive price when you take into account all the work that was recently done to it. 

Here is my .50 cent opinion. I have always believed that the true value of a car is what the next person pays for it. If you go by a price guide, remember the price guide does not write the check, you do. 

I agree with John that prices have gotten out of reach of late on old American iron, not to mention European cars.  There are several reasons why this occurs.

One being that so many of these cars have now found new homes overseas & they have become more scarce to find here in the U.S. When a collector like Hans factors in the freight, foreign exchange rate, import duties, prices in their country for a similar vehicle become quite expensive. 

That brings us to the next reason, supply & demand. If the demand is there, the supply on hand usually dwindles forcing an upswing in prices. People looking to sell can now command higher asking prices. When there is a glut of inventory in the marketplace, prices come down. Just look at gasoline prices today. 

A third reason is the restoration & marketing costs associated today compared what it cost 10 or 15 years ago.  Have you priced what automotive paint cost today? I purchased a pint of paint last week & it was $67. Factor in shop labor costs, equipment, government fees & regulation compliance, insurance, property taxes, cost & freight of parts, workmans compensation,  advertising, etc. the costs go up significantly. Auction houses charging 10% sale commissions, consignment fees to sell, transporting the vehicles to & from an auction, the prices are going to go up as long as the demand is there. 3/4's of all the cars being consigned & purchased today at auctions are from dealers so the costs get passed on to the next buyer, whether he is a dealer or a hobbyist. 

I am a realist & I try to price the cars I market below what similar ones are being offered for. In order to do this, I have to own it right. Sometimes I think my prices are too low & it scares away people because they think there must be something wrong when they see a similar one for considerably more than what I am offering. 

Thanks for reading. Keep the nice comments coming.  An old friend of mine who has been very successful all his life always tells me. "Son, you don't know unless you go".   If you go see this car, you just might go home with it.

Stuart a/k/a Reatta Vice

Hi John

you are absolutely right, to buy from a long time owner is the best thing you can do. It has the advantage that he knows his car in and out and he is often looking for a caring person, not primarily for making big profits and he probably bought the car when it was cheaper then today. I got my 56 CdV that way and I bought it with a lot of confidence and the car and its seller did not disappoint me at all. In fact it was a great experience.

Hi Stuart,

I like your approach a lot. Buy at a reasonable price, put a reasonable amount of money in and generate something that has a market and does not need a new buyer to be born. - You really nailed it down. Importing is now very expensive for us herein Europe. I bought the Roadmaster at a USD/EUR ratio of 1.40, now the Euro is so week that we are at 1.08. Import duty into Europe is 6% on the car value and on the shipping expense as well which I find ridiculous....

When you have a nice Buick/Caddy fastback/sedanette to offer or a 52 Pontiac Catalina - just let me know.

Both of you have a great day, mine is nearly over.

Best,

Hans

"Thank you guys for your kind words & opinions. Yes, I think I have offered this car for a very competitive price when you take into account all the work that was recently done to it. A third reason is the restoration & marketing costs associated today compared what it cost 10 or 15 years ago.  Have you priced what automotive paint cost today? I purchased a pint of paint last week & it was $67. Factor in shop labor costs, equipment, government fees & regulation compliance, insurance, property taxes, cost & freight of parts, workmans compensation,  advertising, etc. the costs go up significantly."

To you give you guys an idea why I think this car is priced so competitively, here is what the car looked like when I first started to refurbish it. The previous owner had started to restore it & just got too overwhelmed & realized he bit off more than he could probably chew. If someone gave you this car for free in this condition, go try to restore it to it's present condition & see if you can do it for less than $21,900. The answer is probably not.

Thanks again for looking & keep the nice comments coming.

Stuart a/k/a Reatta Vice

post-76349-0-89037700-1454781818_thumb.j

post-76349-0-03810000-1454781820_thumb.j

post-76349-0-73668300-1454781820_thumb.j

post-76349-0-32917200-1454781821_thumb.j

post-76349-0-38804100-1454781822_thumb.j

post-76349-0-45940600-1454781823_thumb.j

post-76349-0-54731800-1454781824_thumb.j

post-76349-0-43765200-1454781825_thumb.j

post-76349-0-95047900-1454781825_thumb.j

post-76349-0-51116000-1454781826_thumb.j

Hi Stuart, is the white Olds 88 hardtop in the background for sale as well? Please let me know. Thanks, Hans

No, the '50 Olds 88 Hardtop in the background is long gone. That car was an old drag car from Florida that was raced in the '70's. I still have the '57 Olds J2 Tri-power engine & hydramatic tranny that was in it if you or know someone happen to be looking for a legendary Olds engine. I have since had the carbs professionally rebuilt by National Carburetor in Jacksonville. 

post-76349-0-13080100-1454801144_thumb.j

post-76349-0-08376200-1454801145_thumb.j

post-76349-0-39608200-1454801146_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I was looking through some of my old posts & I forgot that I had posted this '51 Coupe DeVille on the forum. Believe it or not, I still have this car in my collection. I'm puzzled that it has not sold. I put a ton of work into it. Had a bunch of inquiries over the months but only one local GA person came over to see it. He wanted me to take his car in a partial trade but we could not come to agreeable terms. So I am rekindling the post & maybe one of my fellow forum members would like to have her in their garage this Summer. 

To see complete photos, please click on the icon below:

http://www.brandoncollection.com/vehicleimageall.aspx?cmb=0|260995557%20%20|359457

If you have interest, give me a call. The price is the same low $21,900, & believe me, that is a bargain price for this car. 

Thanks for looking & thanks to all our Veterans this Memorial Day & everyday who sacrifice their lives to keep our country safe & free. 

Stuart a/k/a Reatta Vice

912-634-4949

• 2 months later...

Hello again my fellow forum members. Going through my old posts & guess what. I still have this '51 Coupe DeVille & it is still being offered for the same low price of $21,900 in case you did not see it in my previous post. I have no idea why it is still not sold. I am guessing the low price I have it listed for is scaring people away. Maybe I need to raise it  to stir up some new interest. (LOL)

Well, I can't lower the price today any further than it is already but I will consider trading it up or down so PM me & tell me what you got.  I got the itch for something new. The Caddy is still located inside my storage building in S. Georgia (31639)

Thanks for looking.

Stuart a/k/a Reatta Vice

912-634-4949