weak ignition

Worldwide

Thanks for the tip re Bosch mag. I'll try and find a supplier. I posted 2 pics of the existing magneto.

Can anyone identify it for me? The car is currently on the west coast of BC. Our family did a frame off restoration in 1970 and the car has sat in storage most of the time. Once I have it running well I will do a full redo stripping all the cracked lacquer. The garage is cleared out and I have nothing but time. New gears were cut for the rear end and apparently top speed is around 30 mph.

post-85921-0-10207900-1454032483_thumb.j

post-85921-0-99852600-1454032498_thumb.j

Thanks for the heads up. The mag is a Bosch DU4. It sparks but my 70 year old heart can't spin it fast enough to start. There is an old  "Splitdorf" box on the firewall marked "battery/off/magneto". Only a simple kill switch is currently hooked up. It must have been changed at some time. I would like to hook up a battery for starting if possible.

Dougpost-85921-0-23705100-1454280553_thumb.jpost-85921-0-69299100-1454280564_thumb.j

• Like 1

Very nice, and a rare car. Where are you located? As McLaughlins were sold in Canada and other countries in the old British Commonwealth, I'm wondering where it has been in its' life. Also, the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada might have some technical info about the car, but I'm not sure, they do have an extensive library.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Install an impulse coupling for your mag.  It has a spring mechanism that snaps the mag quickly past the ignition point to provide a hotter spark.

I think an impulse coupler is the way to go. Is info available as to degrees of spark retard for 4 cyl. I would like to install myself rather than send it out. I see them on ebay but which one?

Hi Doug, Peter here.  We spoke on the phone the other night.

I have a DU-4 with impulse that I used to run on my Cadillac until I got a rebuilt mag.  You could borrow it if you like to see if it makes starting any easier.

Mark's magneto in Connecticut rebuilds DU-4 mags and may even have one with an impulse.  They're not cheap but if you're going to run it you want a good mag.

Your car looks great!

Peter