Barrett Jackson Auction

Joe in Canada

Joe,

I have to believe that you are right. BJ is almost like a "reality" show now. Like any reality show on these days it doesn't have a lot to do with reality.

Crazy money yesterday for some of those Tuesday cars, and now they linger on the bidders during the whole transaction while they mug away for the camera.

Seems there are lots of folks out there with more money then sense. They could spend the same money and buy themselves an infomercial about themselves if they want camera time.

All that being said, I still want to get out there some year to see it, not to bid. Go figure

• Like 1

Younger and older people get the wrong impression, people think there #4 car is a #1 and want way to much money for them. Then there is a case when some guys realize it's a reality show. The younger generation will get in the hobby if we help them. I have 4 kids 20-25, 3 girls one boy, all 4 are in the hobby and all 4 like different types of older cars. When I say older, my 20 year old son, has a 2007 Mustang and a 1930 Buick, he's got it in his blood and he will watch Barrett Jackson and see it's a reality show.

They do like watching all the nice cars though.

Worse, owners see these inflated prices that don't reflect reality and think their P.O.S. is worth a million bucks.  The "old car price guides" that base their value guesses on these auction prices similarly skew high as a result, just reinforcing this mentality.  The result is a plethora of bogus cars offered at insane prices, like this obviously bogus 1969 Olds W-31 offered at BJ this year:

http://mobile.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-OLDSMOBILE-CUTLASS-190533

Hint:  All real W-31s were built in Lansing, yet the VIN shows this car was built in Canada.  Interestingly, the language in the ad has been edited over the last week to be more wishy-washy, likely the result of BJ's lawyers getting involved.

Guest AlCapone

Worse, owners see these inflated prices that don't reflect reality and think their P.O.S. is worth a million bucks.  The "old car price guides" that base their value guesses on these auction prices similarly skew high as a result, just reinforcing this mentality.  The result is a plethora of bogus cars offered at insane prices, like this obviously bogus 1969 Olds W-31 offered at BJ this year:

http://mobile.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-OLDSMOBILE-CUTLASS-190533

Hint:  All real W-31s were built in Lansing, yet the VIN shows this car was built in Canada.  Interestingly, the language in the ad has been edited over the last week to be more wishy-washy, likely the result of BJ's lawyers getting involved.

I totally agree with you Joe! Wayne

Guest AlCapone

Joe,

I have to believe that you are right. BJ is almost like a "reality" show now. Like any reality show on these days it doesn't have a lot to do with reality.

Crazy money yesterday for some of those Tuesday cars, and now they linger on the bidders during the whole transaction while they mug away for the camera.

Seems there are lots of folks out there with more money then sense. They could spend the same money and buy themselves an infomercial about themselves if they want camera time.

All that being said, I still want to get out there some year to see it, not to bid. Go figure

I truly hope you realize your dream someday. You will love every minute of it. It is an experience you will talk about and brag about for years. This will be my first year missed in 12 and I am not a happy camper. You can bet I will be glued to the television.

Wayne

I took a look at the broadcast schedule:

Tuesday, January 13
6:00 – 8:00 PM on Discovery Channel
8:00 – 11:00 PM on Velocity

Wednesday, January 14
6:00 – 11:00 PM on Velocity

Thursday, January 15
6:00 – 11:00 PM on Velocity

Friday, January 16
4:00 PM – Midnight on Velocity

Saturday, January 17
4:00 – 8:00 PM on Discovery Channel
8:00 PM – Midnight on Velocity
8:00 – 10 PM on Discovery en Español

Sunday, January 18
2:00 – 7:00 PM on Velocity

If the young people have jobs they certainly can dream and still get in a day's work.

I was 23 when I met my wife. I had a car to drive to work, a licensed collector car, and a project. I rented two garages to work and store stuff in. I did have the luxury of having four years of skills development through the US government. Any young person with the awareness of their own tastes and not driven by peer groups can buy a 15 year old car today and 50 years from now, be pretty happy with their old car.

Young people are smart. How long would it take you to figure out there are only 9 small letters that separate BJ from BS?

"Almost like any "reality" show" is the key. I grew up in a world of fiction and nonfiction. When I got older the TV started showing The Wizard of Oz once a year to prepare me for the coming reality shows.

Bernie

I have a different take from some of the comments.  I watched most of Tuesdays coverage and came away thinking that most of the vehicles sold were far under what someone would pay to have the same vehicle restored.  Maybe it could be done for those prices on your own, but if you value your labor then not. Some very nice cars and trucks were sold for less than most shops will charge for the paint work alone. As for people thinking their own pos in the barn is worth those prices, maybe but we have always dealt with the uninformed when it comes to understanding of worth or condition.  I find it more interesting to see how many vehicles pass through the other auction houses where there is a no sale and quite possibly the owner was looking to find out the value of his or her vehicle in today's market.  Some bids not making reserve were obviously enough to justify a sale, yet they rolled on as the owner was either greedy or just putting a value on it. The bottom line to it all is there is a seat for every butt as long as your wallet is padded enough to enjoy the ride. 

Edited by reoinwi (see edit history)

I watch auctions with just that thought in mind. What price would I ball park to restore the vehicle in question? The vast majority sell for much less than what they must have cost to do. I think generally cars are sold by the person who first built/restored them at a tremendous loss for one reason or another. After that they trade hands over and over with sellers/dealers hopefully making a small profit each time. Of course the auction house makes money every time. I get a kick out of when cars are obviously sham bid to one bid below the reserve (perfectly legal) then the auctioneer begs, pleads and cajoles for just one more bid, at which point the car is SOLD SOLD SOLD! Average car at most auctions spends less than a minute under the hammer. When the auctioneer spends another 2 minutes begging for "just one more bid" you know the fix is in.

I have been to B J Scottsdale and observed that on Tuesday and Wednesday there are some bargains. On Friday and Saturday it get's crazy. I was sitting in the non bidders area, but we were close enough to hear several conversations between the "ring men" and the bidders. The "ring men" were really working this one guy that was bidding. At one point the bidder said that he was out, but the "ring man" kept pumping him to go "one more bid", "one more bid". When the bidder said no, the "ring man" turned to the lady sitting next to him and said "why are you with this cheapskate, does he take you to McDonalds for dinner". Totally uncalled for and embarrassing.

I have been to B J Scottsdale and observed that on Tuesday and Wednesday there are some bargains. On Friday and Saturday it get's crazy. I was sitting in the non bidders area, but we were close enough to hear several conversations between the "ring men" and the bidders. The "ring men" were really working this one guy that was bidding. At one point the bidder said that he was out, but the "ring man" kept pumping him to go "one more bid", "one more bid". When the bidder said no, the "ring man" turned to the lady sitting next to him and said "why are you with this cheapskate, does he take you to McDonalds for dinner". Totally uncalled for and embarrassing.

In the recent past I have had the opportunity to make the acquaintance of a couple of VERY rich guys that are into collectable cars.

They guy that I know the best sold his successful business for 65 million a few years ago. He is in his early eighties. He and another guy that I met thru him a month or so ago are the guys that have more money than they need and are having some fun in their old age doing what I have been doing all of my life but on a waayyy lesser scale.

I often think that these guys are the ones that are driving the prices up as they are the guys that you see on TV spending stupid money. Neither one of them are interested in anything but perfect or near perfect cars. So they are only bidding on the best of the best. (they met at a BJ auction by the way)

So, the question is are they in fact laying the foundation of what these cars are worth. I have to disagree due to the fact that they have stupid money and yes they are indeed inflating some values of collectable cars.

On the other hand I expect that when they pass on there will be some deals when it comes to liquidating the estates.

Its a fun hobby and there is room for everybody from the pieced together rat rod to the million dollar "purchased" cars. (maybe not fair as I know some of you restore your own, but you get the drift).

With all that said, these high end guys rarely drive them so to me its a waste. It escapes me who, but someone on here suggests that "if you don't drive them you might as well collect clocks".  That one sticks with me so I hope I am not plagiarizing. LOL

So I was with these two guys a couple of weeks ago for several days helping with some inventorying. Its fun to hang with these guys and they never let me get my wallet out. But we always met for breakfast at McDonalds as one of them likes one of their breakfasts. Go figure.

Now the evening meal was another story.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Lots of cars soild for LESS than the cost to paint them last night. Smart people with money show up first day and get the deals. Young, old, doesn't matter, deals are deals. Bob

That has been my experience. Show up early and you will buy for less than restoration I bought a pickup for. $17,000 that had $61,000 invested in restoration price. A friend of mine bought three cars yesterday, he will fly home Friday.because that is when big money shows up. Wayne

Do you think it is possible that younger viewers may watch the auction on TV and get a wrong impression of the affordability of getting into the hobby?

I watched yesterdays Scottsdale today at lunch. Some of the cars sold were good deals, others not. The first two days are the best as far as prices to quality ratio go. You can buy one of those decent cars and not be afraid to go to cruise night.

Lots of misinformation out there describing the cars as usual. I muted the TV when some blond described a 64 Pontiac GTO tri-Power a 325 hp engine. I'm sure glad I have a DVR. Mute the overbearing music, and the misinformation, and what the host did in the back seat of the car featured when he was a teenager, skip the uninteresting cars and you have a one day show that last for twelve minutes at best.

I think it is impossible to tell if a car is a good deal or not without having it sitting right in front of you.  Plus you need all the knowledge of its history and pedigree available to you.

On TV, everything looks great and is correct with a great history.  In person, it is a different story.

Having a DVR I just record the shows and run at x3 until I see something interesting. Got through the 8-11 in about 40 minutes.

Agree the early days are when the bargains appear (I put that at anything interesting under $20k). Will probably go with a few others to Kissimmee for the Mecum just because it is close.

But when I am looking for a car it is usually under 25 years old and I look on AutoTrader and Craigslist. Pretty sure (changes frequently) my next car will be a XLR (not V, don't care for boost without direct injection) since while the Crossie is fun I also want a road car with a retractible.

Fortunately there are a lot of interesting rust free cars in Central Florida.

Agree the early days are when the bargains appear (I put that at anything interesting under $20k). Will probably go with a few others to Kissimmee for the Mecum just because it is close.

Mecum Kissimmee was last week...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

I've been watching this auction the last few nights when I get home late and this year it seems like there's alot of people with Cocktails in there hands, I wonder if that makes a difference in the bidding?  Looks like a Big Party......But if your there you might as well have a good time...Also seems like alot of people just walk right in front of the camera's and Bidder's assistant's....

I've been watching this auction the last few nights when I get home late and this year it seems like there's alot of people with Cocktails in there hands, I wonder if that makes a difference in the bidding?  Looks like a Big Party......But if your there you might as well have a good time...Also seems like alot of people just walk right in front of the camera's and Bidder's assistant's....

Hey it's like that when you've got so much money to burn, it's party time down there. Want to see the guy up in the lodges with the white dog sitting up there at the table like a human. Maybe he'll have a cocktail this time too.

Guest Cajun Ty

Kinda reminds me of Ducks Unlimited Banquets I been to they auction guns that are worth $200 and the I'm the baddest in the room turd bids 3 grand lol

Many Moons ago I used to go to the Kruse Auctions held in Volo Illinois at the museum/dealer there. I found I really enjoyed it. Often as the B/J some the best deals were in the first day. Some were reasonably priced even to me(a notorious cheapskate).  Although it often did get out of hand even there. Remembering that this was the 80's, I once saw a pile of rust no saled at $60,000.  Some very rare Italian Sports car from the 30's.  Still...

Can anyone tell me the definition of a "real resto mod"? That's a term I've never heard, and someone who was watching asked me what it meant. He said that's how a high-profile member of the B-J crew described a car that went over the block last night. Resto mod, I've heard, but I didn't know there was a hierarchy for them. Are there fake resto mods out there, and if so, how does one identify one?

Can anyone tell me the definition of a "real resto mod"? That's a term I've never heard, and someone who was watching asked me what it meant. He said that's how a high-profile member of the B-J crew described a car that went over the block last night. Resto mod, I've heard, but I didn't know there was a hierarchy for them. Are there fake resto mods out there, and if so, how does one identify one?

West

I would say that a "real restomod" is almost totally unrecognizable to what the car should be.

Quite laughable really.....

You've never heard the term because someone made it up.  "Resto mod" is USUALLY a car that looks relatively stock but has had upgrades like suspension, brakes, and engine mods to improve performance and handling.  Of course, there is no "Websters" definition of the term and sellers throw it around like "classic car" and "barn find".  It really should be a red flag to stop watching.

• Like 1

You've never heard the term because someone made it up.  "Resto mod" is USUALLY a car that looks relatively stock but has had upgrades like suspension, brakes, and engine mods to improve performance and handling.  Of course, there is no "Websters" definition of the term and sellers throw it around like "classic car" and "barn find".  It really should be a red flag to stop watching.

" It really should be a red flag to stop watching."

That's why I said this on #14 post

I watched yesterdays Scottsdale today at lunch. Some of the cars sold were good deals, others not. The first two days are the best as far as prices to quality ratio go. You can buy one of those decent cars and not be afraid to go to cruise night.

Lots of misinformation out there describing the cars as usual. I muted the TV when some blond described a 64 Pontiac GTO tri-Power a 325 hp engine. I'm sure glad I have a DVR. Mute the overbearing music, and the misinformation, and what the host did in the back seat of the car featured when he was a teenager, skip the uninteresting cars and you have a one day show that last for twelve minutes at best.           

The prices really do not make any sense to me at all and never did. I see this feeding frenzy on mid 70's Trans Am's where they are bringing over 100K? Last week I was walking around the Mecum auction in Kissseme and somebody paid 2.4 Million for a 70-71 Cuda Hemi Convertible..... come on. plus a quarter of a million dollars buyers vig !

I think there is some sort of bid rigging going on somewhere to convince everyone that the market is going in a certain direction. So when the next one rolls up on the block WHAM the frenzy starts. We (the viewing public) never know if those cars were really sold or are they just props used to hype the next 10 or so similar cars coming up in the next few days.  If these cars were stocks the SEC would be all over it.

• Like 1

I watched a little of it. I was thinking about going down to Atlantic City in a couple weeks..... well, prior to watch the BJ stuff. I don't mind the prices. It's the lameness that flows. I saw a '56 Chevy with some aftermarket frame under it. They said you buy this guys chassis, jack up your body and just roll that old obsolete frame out from under, king pins and all. If they only did stuff like that a couple of times, OK. Then they auctioned off Leno's truck that his wife wouldn't let him drive to the dump.

You know, there is ignorance, stupid, and humor. One can laugh at all three. I'm just trying to figure out who got paid for being a comic I laughed a few times.

Bernie

That's the closest I've seen to a real definition of "resto-mod". 

I myself like the "resto-mod" concept IF (that's a big if) a good vintage car has not been destroyed in the process of making a "resto-mod"; however, if someone rescues a trashed car that has no hope of being economically restored, then I see nothing wrong with installing contemporary running gear etc.  In my opinion, a good "resto-mod" should look completely stock, with its improved components being hidden from casual inspection.  Again, in my opinion, there are degrees of "resto-modding" from "complete" to "partial"  Anyone who has replaced a stock 6V system with a more effective, modern 12V system has created a "resto-mod" to a certain extent.  On the other hand, would replacing stock bias ply tires with radials constitute an act of "resto-modding"?   I'm not sure, but I don't think so. 

Just my usual unfocused opinion,

Grog

That's the way it works in Casinos. As long as you're slinging $ , they're slinging drinks

Just came in for a cup of coffee and turned on BJ, and had a laugh no learning that the resto=mod thing is 'movement" Mike Joy just said "that is the point of the resto-mod movement............ blah blah blah and blah..........and Barret Jackson sells more resto-mods then anyone else"

A movement.......that's deep....real deep

Looks like I am finishing this cup of coffee in the shop listening to the XM radio

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

That's the closest I've seen to a real definition of "resto-mod". 

I myself like the "resto-mod" concept IF (that's a big if) a good vintage car has not been destroyed in the process of making a "resto-mod"; however, if someone rescues a trashed car that has no hope of being economically restored, then I see nothing wrong with installing contemporary running gear etc.  In my opinion, a good "resto-mod" should look completely stock, with its improved components being hidden from casual inspection.  Again, in my opinion, there are degrees of "resto-modding" from "complete" to "partial"  Anyone who has replaced a stock 6V system with a more effective, modern 12V system has created a "resto-mod" to a certain extent.  On the other hand, would replacing stock bias ply tires with radials constitute an act of "resto-modding"?   I'm not sure, but I don't think so. 

Just my usual unfocused opinion,

Grog

OK restoration means restoring back to stock, that means "stock" is the reference point we start with doing a restoration. Since these cars have no reference to stock,  how about getting rid of any kind of reference to stock and restoration and just call the cars modified or custom cars like we used to call them. If you are at a car show these cars don't go in a Resto-Mod category. They go in the modified category. 

Just came in for a cup of coffee and turned on BJ, and had a laugh no learning that the resto=mod thing is 'movement" Mike Joy just said "that is the point of the resto-mod movement............ blah blah blah and blah..........and Barret Jackson sells more resto-mods then anyone else"

Looks like I am finishing this cup of coffee in the shop listening to the XM radio

And Mike Joy. It seems Mike has owned just about every car that crosses the block and has a story about it, has been in every back seat with a girl, street raced one of those cars, and still calls a ST300 a Powerglide Who cares about that big head of his with all it's so called memories. If he would just stick to the cars with correct facts instead of his adventures in a misspent youth.

I like Mike, and the show owners do too.

Life is soooooooo much fun, also I like Arby's loaded fries, but, ARBY, IS GOING TO BE SOOOOOOOOO MAD, Lol

This site is so entertaining. Got to LOVE it.

Time to get back to my 1000 hour plus arty piece, the next contest is fast approaching.

Later,

Dale in Indy

And Mike Joy. It seems Mike has owned just about every car that crosses the block and has a story about it, has been in every back seat with a girl, street raced one of those cars, and still calls a ST300 a Powerglide Who cares about that big head of his with all it's so called memories. If he would just stick to the cars with correct facts instead of his adventures in a misspent youth.

That's why I don't watch it anymore, with the sound up. 

I make good use if the mute button

My Judge is a Resto-Mod: Pertronix, 78 WS6 15x8 wheels, 71 sport mirrors, 70 W30 'vert suspension, Delrin bushings, Color keyed Formula wheel, 3.55 four pinion, glass packs with an H-pipe. Centerforce, PF-24 oil filter, AGM battery, later AM-FM radio. Cassette adapter for the 8 track.

Of course this was all '70s correct...