1941 cadillac turn signals, self cancelling or not?

drptop70ss

HI,

I am working on a 1941 cadillac model 63, and the turn signals do not self cancel when the steering wheel is turned. I figured this may be normal, but I did see a blurb on the net that said 1941 was the first year for self cancelling signals. If this is true did they cancel off a cam in the steering column like "modern" cars or some other way? Or maybe they are not supposed to self cancel? I would like to get them working if I can.

Thanks!

Hope not to scare ya but I am going to rely on my memory.

I have two 1940 Cadillacs that both have factory turn signals.

They are not self cancelling but I think 1941 is.

I have repaired a few of the 1941's but can't remember how they were engineered to cancel.

Good Luck!

Edited by rb6673 (see edit history)

1941 turn signals are definitely self-cancelling. There's a mechanism in the steering column that moves the lever like in a late-model. I've never had it apart, so I can't say how they work (the more common problem is that they won't stay engaged) or how to fix, but the mechanism can't be complicated.

I have two 1940 Cadillacs that both have factory turn signals.

They are not self cancelling but I think 1941 is.

Interesting. Buick's turn signals in 1940 were self-canceling. I would think Cadillac's would have also been, but then, Buick led GM in the turn signal catagory at the time, being the first maker to install them as standard equipment in 1939.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just to update, its only been two years since I asked but finally back to work on the car and figured out the self cancelling setup for the 41. There are two cast in bumps on the back of the steering wheel, they are part of the steering wheel center section. When the steering wheel is rotated those bumps knock the turn signal switch back to the middle position. My "bumps" were worn, looks like the pot metal was not made for the long haul. Since I could not build up the material with weld I tried some good old JB weld and built up the worn area with that. So far so good it actually works, but time will tell whether the JB will hold up.