Camshaft Alignment S-16

Guest C@L

Winding up my S-16 rebuilding project and trying to double and triple check everything.

The owner's manual notes two steps to align the camshaft.  First align the "O"'s on the camshaft and the camshaft sprocket.  Next, put the two "2"'s on the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets into alignment.

My question: The two "2"'s are in alignment at their 10 o'clock positions on both the crank and cam sprockets.  Everything else checks out OK (#1 at TDC, #1 cam lobes in proper position, #6 exhaust valve closed).  So, am I good to go on putting the front engine cover back on?

Edited by C@L (see edit history)

Howard - Right on.. Do not trust the marks. I recently found that the 2 on the end of the crank shaft marked in correctly. In the end I set the crank at TDC #1 and rotated cam until the #6 exhaust valve closed and used this as a initial setting. I installed the chain and started the car instantly. Then I followed the directions outlined in a old John Burns article (ACN) as described by you an double checked my work. Don't trust the marks.

OK, back to the basics.  Per the book: I set #1 intake to .036; I turned the engine one revolution to take up .005 on #1 intake; I observed the fan "O" mark 3 1/4" past shroud mark.  Therefore the camshaft timing is correct.  It also appears that the two "2"'s are just slightly past being directly opposite each other.

My initial confusion was that I read the manual as having the "2"'s in alignment at the TDC ignition stroke when, in fact, they are in alignment at the intake stroke.

I'm slowly getting closer to the initial start-up.