1959 Apache 1 Ton

Crazy4cruz

I looking into purchasing this 1959 Apache but need your help.  I've always loved the late 50's GM task force trucks but this would be my first.

The gentleman selling the truck is a friend of the owners family (the owner recently passed) so he doesn't know a great deal about the vehicle.  Based on the pictures it appears to be a model 38 (one ton) with a utility bed.  I'm interested in it but I would want to remove the utility bed and go with a standard bed.  My concern is that what research I have done seems to point to the fact that the model 38 one ton had a longer wheel base and longer bed (9 feet???) than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models.  So I don't know if I can buy new replacement bed parts for it.  Anyone know if or where can I find truck bed parts for this or would I be stuck trying to find an uber rare super long bed off a parts truck?

post-132753-0-64435100-1452606625_thumb.

As I remember the service bodies made by most of the major makers at that time called for frame extensions on the rear of the frame. So have a look see under the truck and see what was done to get the service body mounted. Also check the wheel base of that truck against the GM specs for the long bed pickups of the day. I'm pretty sure that your okay with a stock long bed from that era. As redsshed77 said above "it's fun either way"

• 3 weeks later...

did i just see this truck resold on ebay?think i did

Yes you probably did.  It was originally listed at under $3K.  Someone bought it and then it showed back up on Craigs List here locally for $6K.  They then re-posted again at $4550.  I have to be honest I was a bit ticked off that all they are trying to do is make a quick buck on it.