2016 AACA Sentimental Tour-Salisbury, NC

R W Burgess

Greetings!

The 2016 AACA event season is right around the corner. You should be getting mailings from Headquarters very shortly. I received the Sentimental Tour flyer today.

PLEASE NOTE-VERY IMPORTANT!

The registration forms CAN NOT be postmarked before February 15, 2016. This tour is limited to 100 vehicles, so there is this postmark limitation to allow everyone a fair chance of getting registered.

Thanks and see ya' in Salisbury in June!

Wayne 

post-76802-0-84969700-1452547323_thumb.j

post-76802-0-39996700-1452547340_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, hopefully...

Registration is limited to 100 cars this year.

They cannot be postmarked before February 15 -the Monday after Philly.

We have a block of 100 rooms reserved at the host hotel, which will not open for reservations prior to noon on February 15.

The key title I have given the reservation desk is "Sentimental AACA Tour".

As Annie said above that is a beautiful area of the NC Piedmont. Most of the routes will be on what we call farming roads. The other day a couple of us were driving one of the routes, and we saw eagles fishing on one of the lakes.

Does the Sentimental Tour registration usually fill up fast??

Joe, I guarantee, it will fill up fast!!!! Probably the first day of registrations. My local region went through that 2 years ago, but to be fair we pulled the reg. forms "out of a hat", first come first served.

Wayne

• Like 1

Wayne,

How long did your region wait to start drawing names out of a hat?

Phil, as I remember, we began about 2 months before the tour. We had to return about 3 registration forms. The AACA Board of Directors also did not send in registration forms until we were sure that regular members got first choice. I was disappointed that we could not have more tourers with us, as I like to share our historical area. We just need more new hotels in our area I guess, which will take a few "decades". 

We only had banquet space for 100 people too. A way around that is to have an outside tent like Charlotte has each year. You could always have split banquet times too, but that would not be good as everyone wants to participate together at the same time. One unique thing that we did, though, was using our President and Vice President's tour car pictures as a table name plate, pictures we had taken in front of an early American store earlier in the week. It was cool and our members had a great time working with our new visitors. Hosting an event really brings a club together!

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

I sent out my registration and check by priority the first day possible, February 16.   It was delivered, hopefully in time.  This Tour always overfills the typical 100 car limit.  That makes me feel really good.  Now we need somebody to step up to sponsor this Tour in 2018 and 2020.  Come on Regions, make my day.

Earl,

I suggest you make your reservation. I called the hotel number listed in the Tri-fold brochure and asked for the AACA rate and they made the reservation. I don't think you have to wait for a tour number before making a reservation.

Is there trailer parking at that place?  I made the reservation.  I found out from them there is a Comfort Suites six miles up the Interstate.  I think I'll ask their room rate tomorrow.  I would just hate not to be at the host hotel where everybody else is.   

I'm not coming in until Sunday, as the AACA rate only starts on Sunday.....God knows what the regular rate is.  Fortunately, I'll go to Virginia in May and drive down on Sunday morning from there.  That's about a 5-6 hour drive I think with the trailer.

Earl,

The tour is not full yet. Go ahead and make a room reservation at the host hotel. I checked at noon today and the hotel numbers match up with tour reservation numbers. There are rooms available.

Trailer parking is about 3 miles from the hotel, but there will be police security at the trailer parking and hotel.

Please call me for any other details...

Phillip

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)

RV parking is at Dan Nicholas Park.

Call 1-866-767-2757 or 1-704-216-7803.

I did try to get RV parking at the trailer parking, but local authorities would not approve it.

As of Friday the tour is not full. Office mail does not come in before 4 PM, so I don't know what came in over the weekend.

When can we expect confirmation?  The State Park allows NO REFUNDS on reservations if cancelled.  We'll stay there if accepted and our passengers will stay in the host hotel if we can still get rooms there.

Will tourist acceptance be by email or US Mail?

Thanks

P.S.  When we began touring, the host club had the hotels require confirmation before booking rooms.  This eliminated the problem of having all the rooms taken by people in hopes of going, which made them sell out long before the cut off date for registration. .  

Paul, the tour is not full at this point. You are in!

Registration is through the HNR office and right now they are busy with vendor registration for Autofair. So, I spent about four hours tonight taking care of it myself. And hopefully I'll email you and everyone else tomorrow. I apologize for the delay!

Confirmation will be by email, as I said above.

The hotel still has rooms. Go ahead and make your reservations.

I did ask the hotel to wait for confirmation, exactly as you described.

Thanks Phil,

We'll assume that all  qualified applicants are accepted and go forward with plans to participate.

We know that hosting a tour is tremendous job that is not always fully supported by the national or regional clubs like the  

Trophy Shows. It's lots of work, but it's is a great way to showcase antique cars being used as originally intended.  Thanks

to your and your helpers in your region for allowing us to see your part of this wonderful & diverse country.

We only attend shows when they offer a local tour with the show.  It's our way to do what Diana Shore sang about in her 

song "See the USA in your Ford", or "In My Merry Volkswagen"  (See:  

)

We'll be there.

Paul & Inge Dobbin

• 3 weeks later...

We located the Carolina Country Campground on US 601 about 6 miles northwest of Salisbury.  Easier access to the host hotel an pull thru sites.for folks with trailered vehicles.  We'll see you all at the Sentimental Tour.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JSGregory

Just wondering if this tour was full yet.  I've tried contacting the tour chairman and registrar at the email addresses listed on my flyer, but all I've gotten is an angry reply from someone stating that he isn't affiliated with the tour and one "mail undeliverable" message.  Any info about whether space is still available and registration details would be greatly appreciated!