Help with 1917 to 1932 Dodge and Graham Brothers truck serial number

ericbt

I've been trying to get the serial number systems for the 1917 to 1932 Dodge Brothers and Graham Brothers figured out. Here is what my research has led me to understand so far.

1917 to 1926 all Dodge Brothers trucks got Dodge Brothers car serial numbers. Those trucks were Panel and Screenside only until 1924 when a pickup was added. From 1917 to 1922 or 1923 the serial number was on a tag on the toe board and on the frame cross member under the floor boards. After that the frame number moved near the rear spring shackle of the front axle on the passenger side. The trucks were 1/2 ton until 1923 when the WB was lengthened and the weight rating was raised to 3/4 ton. Other data I have shows a possibility that some of the early trucks were also available as 3/4 tons.

1920 to 1926 all Graham Brothers trucks used Graham Brothers serial numbers. The serial numbers were located in the same places as the Dodge Brothers vehicles. Starting with the 1927 model year all truck production was taken over by Graham Brothers and with the exception of what I assume was using up leftover Dodge parts or something all trucks used the Graham Brothers badges from then until shortly after January 1929 when Dodge Brothers branding was used for all trucks due to the Chrysler takeover in July 1928. 

First, do I have this right? I am working with very little data on these early trucks as early factory literature is hard to find and when I do find some it either doesn't have serial numbers or it doesn't have years.

Second, what are the calendar year to year serial ranges for a given model year on the car serial numbers? I have seen claims of production that started July 1 and ended June 30 of the following year, but the charts I can find don't use that convention until 1924. I was using the one on the link below and the one at Myers.

http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/DB_Production_Dates.pdf

Third, what actually happened with the late 1928-1932 production? It seems odd that the Graham Brothers serial number ranges were used from 1928 to 1932 and yet very similar trucks were rolling off the assembly lines starting in 1930 with numerical serial numbers with different model names, but often very similar engineering codes. Is there any chance that the production was more like 1928 to 1930 and the other models took over when Chrysler changed the name to Dodge Brothers? If not that means that both lines were running simultaneously. 

Fourth, is there any better breakdown than the serial number guides that gives the year to year production for the 1928 to 1932 serial number ranges? 

Fifth, why do some models in the serial number guide have a T like DAT and DET? Lots of literature has notes like W for wooden wheels and R for dual rear wheels, but I can't find an explanation for the T. It is also strange that there is a DAT, DDT, and a DCT, but no DBT.

Sixth, there is a Dodge Brothers chassis No. 1 mentioned in some literature. What model does that relate to? Is that the chassis for the Panel and Screenside? 

Any and all help is appreciated. 

Eric 

Do you have copy of  (The Official Guide TO Dodge Brothers & Graham Brothers Trucks Through  1938  by DBCnews ).. Most of your questions are answered there . It is a great reprint of articles that appeared in Dodge Brothers Club News Magazine over years .

Tom

ps ; serial number info that totals and divide by months of production got me within 2months on mine .

post-153818-0-70958600-1452178247_thumb.

Edited by ArticiferTom (see edit history)

Thanks for your information. Where would I get a copy of the The Official Guide TO Dodge Brothers & Graham Brothers Trucks Through  1938  by DBCnews? I looked on the Dodge Brothers Club website and didn't see it listed. As for the divide method it can work, but it is not definitive. I have also found that the serial number guides varied over the years. I have the page you shared in every copy of the serial guide I've seen from 1939 to 1957 and surprisingly there are errors in some of the nearby pages despite it theoretically being the same data just repeated over time. I cross check among them and with other sources if at all possible when figuring out things. It's amazing how little errors creep in. 

My goal was to find factory literature that showed the details I was looking for if at all possible. 

Eric

It is listed on DBC web site . Attached is pic of front page and one example page .  I would be interested in helping in any way .I tried contacting the author of most of article with no response  . My interest is what actual vehicle types and serial number ,compare to there motor numbers prefix's ie have  UF-10 code u2a engine in book listed to be Plymouth PA,  change prior year from U model . But my engine prefix is UT-24XXXX  base on build card this is original motor .  

DBC book.pdf

Edited by ArticiferTom (see edit history)

In regards to your 3rd, 4th and 5th questions...

Q.#3)

A.) Yes they ran simultaneously. See explanation below.

Q.#4)

A.) There is no better method currently which is why our work is so important going forward.

Q.#5)

A.) I've noticed a trend with the T being used for 3/4 ton with the DAT being the only 1 ton. Have no documentation for my theory as of yet.

Below is an example of the DA 150 and DA 165 that ran simultaneously to the UF 30 UF 31 and the F30 and F31. All are 1 1/2 tons however the DA150 and 165"wb trucks were frame stamped yet the UF30, UF31, F30, and F31 all had serial tags attached. I have not seen any examples to date of a 1931 or 32 truck having both a frame number and a numerical serial number tag on the firewall. Simply put, the DA165 later became the F31 and were only tagged differently under the Chrysler brand from all indications.

post-112232-0-08532100-1452519526_thumb.

post-112232-0-69820500-1452519599_thumb.

Gentlemen,

I cannot stress enough how important the production numbers off of the parts lists books are. If anyone is viewing this and has ANY Graham Brothers or Dodge Brothers parts list books that show the effective date serial numbers for the Detroit, Evansville or Stockton built trucks as well as the numerical serial numbers parts books please post a clear image of the cover so we can all get a better understanding of the production numbers for future generations.

Here is an example of what is needed:

post-112232-0-49636700-1452520494_thumb.

post-112232-0-75168700-1452520594_thumb.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Looking at the frame designs shows a bases for truck types. My "E" series shares the shape as shown in following images. 

post-113706-0-55141900-1452650087_thumb.

post-113706-0-94215100-1452650100_thumb.

These are the "Commercial Truck" type trucks. Note the straight level top of rear frame portion. These were I believe to be similar to the "C", "D", and "E" trucks. They were built as Graham Bros and became Dodge Bros.

The next "F" and "G" series had a different frame shape. The following images are from a UF sales booklet.

post-113706-0-65159200-1452650126_thumb.post-113706-0-79109300-1452650127_thumb.post-113706-0-23182100-1452650128_thumb.post-113706-0-67221000-1452650128_thumb.

These were now Dodge Bros trucks built by Chrysler Corp. Note the curve of the frame over the rear axle.

These are trucks and not the Commercial Cars with used the frame of the passenger car.

The DA-120, (3/4 ton "E" series) is basicly the same as the the DE truck. The DE truck does not show up in these summaries, but I know they exist because I have the vin toeplate with DE notes as 120" wheelbase. I have both of these DB trucks with registration to verify. The frames are identical. As is the similarities of the DA-130 and the BE truck.

The frame numbers as noted in the attached summary were sequenced from GB to DB trucks.

Be aware that Chrysler Corp would carry the GB connection after thier takeover for marketing purposes. They wanted to perserve reputation of the GB trucks.

The "UF and "F" series were a completely different series as I noted in previous post.

post-113706-0-20623700-1452706794_thumb.post-113706-0-06492600-1452706829_thumb.

That is some very interesting information about the frame design. I am always impressed at the various ways to tell trucks apart. Is there any serial number information in that Graham Brothers book? Right now I am seeing serial numbers around D-229XXX-D231XXX at the end of 1929 or early 1930. D-237361 was the last truck made in Detroit according to the serial guide so either it took nearly two years to produce 6,000 trucks or the production ended before 1931 and the serial number guide is off. It'd be neat to see some build records or sales paperwork from some late E and S serial number trucks to compare to the D numbers I have seen so far.

Does anyone have any images of tags?  

Here is an image of a Graham Brothers tag I found on the internet somewhere. E127928 is a 1927 according to the serial number guide. Do the later tags have the car number like A936718? 

Eric

post-123305-0-66523600-1452734971_thumb.

D-237361 was the last truck made in Detroit according to the serial guide so either it took nearly two years to produce 6,000 trucks or the production ended before 1931 and the serial number guide is off. It'd be neat to see some build records or sales paperwork from some late E and S serial number trucks to compare to the D numbers I have seen so far.

Eric

In regards to those two points I've highlighted:

"IF" it's true and we can find proof that the serial guide was off then that would mean my truck D231751 would be one of the last produced in Detroit as mine was produced March 11th 1930.

Build cards are vital to answering some of these questions but unfortunately, very few are willing to share that info in regards to there own trucks. I've personally reached out to many DB and GB owners but only 3 have responded with build card data. Two of which have post's on this thread... Without more important it's very difficult to further our work as researchers.

Good luck,

Dave

I spotted another forum member that posted in another thread about Graham Brothers talking about numbers in a Red Book. I contacted him directly and he shared the pages from a 1929 and 1933 edition. Thanks TG57Roadmaster.

Based on this data they kept building trucks, but in very very small number until 1932. In some plants as little as 50 a year. This leads me to wonder if they were selling off old inventory? I can't see keeping parts around to make 53 trucks in a year in Stockton or 52 trucks a year in Evansville. Of course these numbers are from a third party and might be wrong, but they are the only numbers I've seen that break down the 1928-1932 era. For some reason the 1930 numbers are not clear. All the numbers listed look like Detroit numbers 221142, 218623, 221339, 220380, etc, but they don't have the D in front and there are different numbers depending on the model. None of the numbers are low enough to be E or S.

The books show:

E-133097

S-109835

D-175590

E-151050

S- 116045

D-235758

E-151192

S-116098

D-236959

The serial guide shows the final production numbers to be:

E-151191

S-116399

D-237361

Merchant Express

P1001

P3488

P8184

Eric

Edited by Eric B. (see edit history)

Lots of information on the frame numbers series for different model trucks on these covers.

I found these at Faxons web site. They interesting stuff. Sad to say image was very poor.

Shows GB "D" series frame sequence #'s for 1, 1 1/2, and 2 ton trucks. The 3 ton DB did not have #'s.

We can see Detroit produced 1 ton trucks for export

post-113706-0-09346500-1452878796_thumb.post-113706-0-16512400-1452879413_thumb.post-113706-0-11790100-1452879440_thumb.

I spotted another forum member that posted in another thread about Graham Brothers talking about numbers in a Red Book. I contacted him directly and he shared the pages from a 1929 and 1933 edition. Thanks TG57Roadmaster.

Based on this data they kept building trucks, but in very very small number until 1932. In some plants as little as 50 a year. This leads me to wonder if they were selling off old inventory? I can't see keeping parts around to make 53 trucks in a year in Stockton or 52 trucks a year in Evansville. Of course these numbers are from a third party and might be wrong, but they are the only numbers I've seen that break down the 1928-1932 era. For some reason the 1930 numbers are not clear. All the numbers listed look like Detroit numbers 221142, 218623, 221339, 220380, etc, but they don't have the D in front and there are different numbers depending on the model. None of the numbers are low enough to be E or S.

The books show:

D-235758

Eric, look at your 3/4 ton book. Notice D221339 is the beginning effective # or "Beginning Frame" #s for the 1930 124"WB trucks

So, my questions would be :

What models are the other numbers for in that underlined sentence ?

Is D235758 the beginning number for 31 trucks or the final number, if so what model was that model of truck if you can tell us?

What exact publication did TG57Roadmaster pull that information from or was it pulled from various sources ? Just curious..

I emailed you the pages yesterday. The books were the 1929 edition and 1933 edition of RED BOOK NATL MARKET REPORTS-OFFICIAL USED CAR VALUATIONS.

Later copies can be had on eBay for $10-$20. I doubt any edition past 1940 or possibly earlier includes the Graham Brothers.

Eric

If the Red Books can be validated then these numbers are a huge find !

According to these numbers there would have been 14419 Detroit built 124" wb trucks in 1930.

Am I correct in that assumption ?

Keep in mind there were 5 models of the E series 124" trucks built that year, the stakeside, screenside, canopy, express and panel. Divided by 5 gives an approximate total of 2883 of each model produced that year.

post-112232-0-65304000-1452970759_thumb.

Thanks for information Eric. Lots of information on these sheets.

Page 339 shows the "E" series listed under 1932-six with the 124 WB. This should be a DA-124.

I noticed no reference to the DA series of the "E" trucks. Only reference to my 3/4 ton truck is a DE.listed under 1929-six.

My 29 DB DA-120 is identical to my DE except it has a more streamlined reflector headlite. The DE has bucket type headlites of the late 20's design.They were selling trucks with available parts. The attached "Service Record" or some call "Build Card" shows April 1930 date.

post-113706-0-03753900-1452981946_thumb.

Page 339 shows the "E" series listed under 1932-six with the 124 WB. This should be a DA-124.

I noticed no reference to the DA series of the "E" trucks.

Sherman,

Keep in mind the U124 and the DA124 would have both been baked into those numbers. It does not break it down by the engineering code like the MPB does. So the numbers D221339 to D235758 for instance for 30 to 31 models were for both the 4 cyl and 6 cyl's combined.

I would imagine all other trucks are based off of WB also and may not show other engine options throughout the red books.

Incredible missing link that many of us truck guys have been needing.

The thing to do now is track down the 1930, 1931, 1932, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937 editions and see if there is any additional information. Then track down other publications of the same type. These books are pretty plentiful on eBay. I'm sure a post in the general section of this site could net pages from several of those books. Hopefully once some good third party data has been established something factory will pop up or come to mind that will confirm it.

The serial numbers on the parts books are less clear. Yes they are theoretically the starting numbers for those models and engines, but since the numbers in that era cover all models unlike the 1930 and later stuff where there is one serial number range per size class or per series there is no way to know if the next truck after the one listed on the front of the parts books was also of that model or of a totally different model. The real issue with the parts books is to see if it helps define when different models were introduced in each year. My current theory is that the parts books serials will only end up defining what trucks go with the parts listed in the book instead of a year range. The numbers are just not consistent enough. If all the books from the same period had the same starting number we could start to guess that was the year break. As they are slightly different for each model and engine my guess is those numbers are only useful to get in the ballpark. They won't give the exact break for the year. But that is my guess based on what I have seen so far of this early stuff. Records were clearly not kept very well back then or they weren't transferred well when Chrysler took over.

I have a data base of DB/GB frame numbers and models for D, E, and S built trucks. These real numbers are based on my findings within various clubs and e-bay sales. No names of ownership will be included in my summary. I may have enough of a data base to test any theories assumed. I will summarize my S built trucks first. 

If there are more frame and model information available it would help me.

Tom, I need a good idea of what I am asking for before I contact Chrysler. They don't know much more than we do about this stuff and while they have the database it is unreasonable for me to ask them to dig through the whole thing. They also only claim to have data for 1930 and up, though they also claim to have nothing after 1954 and I have had people get 1955 build cards from them by just claiming their truck was a 1954 so Chrysler would look in their files. 

Here is what I need before I contact them:

1. I need as much data from the Red Books as possible. Ideally I would have data showing the starting serial for each year. Currently the 1930 data is lacking. That means finding 1930, 1931, 1932, 1934, 1935, 1936 Red Books and checking what those say. Most likely it won't be anything new as they just copied one to the next year, but you never know.

2. Any factory data that shows starting production numbers for a given year. At this point I don't think the parts book covers are useful except as a ballpark as it seems the numbers are strictly related to when the parts in that book are used. That is more about getting the right part than model year. There is a TSB from that era that talks about making it clearer when parts had changed when they were ordered to prevent confusion.

3. The starting date for production for each year. Was Dodge still running the July 1 start date or the January 1 start date in 1929-1932? Some other date?

If I go to Chrysler and say: Here are numbers I got from a third party source and the start date for production in those years was July 1. Are those the July 1 starting production numbers? That might get me an answer. If I instead just blankly ask for the starting production numbers they might look in the same serial guides we have and say they don't have them. I have every serial guide from 1939 to 1957 that I could find and they all have the same range for 1928-1932. No breakdowns by year or model. If I give Chrysler the date and the Red Book numbers are wrong then maybe they'd be nice and look up the July 1 numbers for me for each year. Without numbers to compare, and start dates they would have to know a lot about this obscure era to be able to answer my question.

Stakeside,

I agree that you might have a DET. I am waiting on more data before I say that for sure. We have so few data points here. I was already possibly proved wrong in my guess that 1930 was the end of production. I just never considered the production slowing to 50 trucks or a couple hundred trucks a year instead of production just ending a couple months after the data that we had. I figured having D235XXX in early 1930 meant that production ended soon after as the ending serial was D237361 and at the previous rate 2,000 trucks was less than two months production. Goes to show what can happen when you extrapolate or divide production numbers by time as if they are linear. 

Eric

hwellens on the general forum was nice enough to share the information from a 1934 NADA guide.

It shows:

1928:

D-175590
E-133097
S109835 (Not listed, but from the serial guide)

1929:

P1000 to P3487
D182639
E134710
S110035

1930:
P3488 to P7792
D218623
E146442
S114220

1931:

D235758
E151050
S116045

1932:

D236959
E151192
S116098

So the numbers from the 1933 Red Book match those of the 1934 NADA, but the NADA also includes 1930. The NADA also breaks down the 1928 as being different from the 1929. This makes sense if the production start date for the year is July 1 or January 1 as the production started April, May or June 1928 depending on the plant. That's two of the guides with matching numbers and one would assume their source would have been Dodge/Graham so hopefully that is the breakdown.

Based on this data the Evansville plant made negative 1 truck in 1932 as the ending serial in the guide is E-151191 and the starting serial in the NADA and Red Book is E-151192. Funny how little mistakes like that creep in.

More of these guides would be helpful to verify the data, but this is pretty neat to find. Wish it was factory data, but there doesn't seem to be any. I attached the PDF they shared.

Dodge truck serials.pdf

If you would contact Chrysler you may want to ask for the index or summaries . As the build cards are copied from micro-fishe they can not be blindly searching all for a given vehicle . Their  either indexed by serial number (most likely ) or date or model years . All of what you can use .

Yes  , it may be easier to have them just vertify what you suppose . And the unknown is if there is a cost for there research . Looking at my truck from 1934 red book above it looks like it went model years from July 1st on some models and others Jan. in same years . Same confusing discussion is in DBC  truck book you have coming .

tom

Tom,

I'm not sure Chrysler will even look anything up if I contact them. I have been told by others that all questions were replied to with a request to have a lawyer contact their lawyer. So it might not be easy to get them to answer this question. Plus I bet we now know more about it than they do. This is not a common area of study. Getting their index is really unlikely. The best I can see them doing is verifying my research, but I would need to be more sure of my research before I asked anything as they aren't going to look twice.

Eric

I found the following text in a Mechanics guide:

Frame Number--Graham Brothers

Stamped on the left side of frame just back of the rear running board support, on trucks numbered from 17000 to 32035 and 50000 to 62599.

Stamped on the left side of frame just back of rear spring front bracket, on trucks numbered from 320036 to 50000 and 62600 to 75392

Stamped on the left side of frame just back of front spring front bracket, on trucks numbered from 1000000 up.

Does this match what others have found?

Eric

Yes Eric, that is what I have found also.

Am I seeing the following information correctly ?

Seems like conflicting info in the 31 & 33 Red Book vs the 34 Nada:

Notice in the Red Book on page 289 1929 6 cyl claims to have began with D175590 and E133097 however the 34 Nada says otherwise on page 247. The 34 Nada guide shows D182369, E134710, S110135. Which is correct ? 

I have not seen a 1929 1/2 ton E series cover in this range to prove otherwise but I'd say the NADA is spot on and are the correct numbers.

Also, in the Red Book it has the same D175590 for the beginning effective date for 1929 2 tons on page 289. I have a 2 ton parts list dated "corrected pages June 15 1930" which makes the  book I have specific for the 1929 2 ton models. Beginning serial numbers are D177373, E133120, S110038.. evidence that the Red Book is off.

One mistake I seen in the 34 NADA that doesn't help our cause is 1931 6 cyl 3/4 ton shows the number to begin with D151050 on page 249. If that were the correct frame number then that truck would have been produced between June  and Sept  in 1927 according to production dates page that I sent you.

Without further documentation it's impossible to say for sure if the numbers are consistent throughout the model range at this point.

Need more consistent factory material to make the kind of progress we are on the verge of.

Old rosters will help if others are willing to share their findings... Build Cards are like gold and will answer many questions.  I wish others would share but only a few have input...

This books are very useful, but they are not immune to mistakes. The page you note with the error has the exact same number as the section above, but has a D instead of an E. That same section doesn't have an E so I assume that someone messed up and put the wrong letter in. It is not likely that the exact same number was used, but from a different plant. 

The NADA guide has what seems like better data. Both books show the same starting numbers, but the NADA guide starts in 1928 and the Red Book starts in 1929. The serial guide starts those serials at April, May, and June of 1928 and I believe the 1929 model year started July 1 of 1928 so it makes sense that there would be another set of numbers starting July 1 1928. The 1930 data is clearly lacking in the Red Book as there aren't any letters in front of the numbers. Both books use the same numbers for 1931 and 1932.

I don't see the problem with that sales record? D236739 being sold on June 1st 1931 follows the chart we have just fine. July 1 1931 should have been D236959 according to both the Red Book and NADA assuming July 1 was the start of the 1932 model year. Since the truck was sold and had a serial number (trucks were only issued serial numbers after they were ordered and in some cases not until they were on the production line. The order number on the build card is a placeholder until a serial number is issued.) it was most likely already made. Depending on how far that dealer was from Detroit that truck might have been built the day before or it might have been built weeks before. The numbers in other areas of the card just refer to the trade in they took on the sale of the new one.

Overall I see the NADA guide matching all the data I can find so far. If you want to email me any other numbers matched with dates that you have I will see if I can find a flaw.

Eric

Eric,

after cross referencing DES numbers in my database the numbers are not model specific. I see some ME Graham Brothers Detroit built trucks mixed into sequences of other models.

Major road block :unsure:                  DEAD END

Without further factory material it will be near impossible to solve the riddle.

That's what I've been saying. The serial numbers on the parts books just specify when the parts in that book were implemented. The serial numbers ran sequentially in order regardless of the truck model or size. So D236758 was a 3/4 ton and D236759 could be a 2 ton. It just wasn't important to Graham or Dodge to be able to define the models by serial number range like it was on the F and later trucks. Even the F and larger trucks frequently combine multiple models into one range.

Now that we have a good idea of what the year to year production numbers were it is obvious that any type of dividing of the 1928-1932 numbers in the serial number guide to determine when a truck was made isn't going to work as some years only had a production of 50 or so trucks. 

Overall a lot has been learned. If the production start date was for sure July 1 of every year (I wonder if January 1929 was the start date for 1929 as the trucks changed from Graham to Dodge?) then I could contact Chrysler and see if they can verify the NADA data. Until I'm sure of the production dates I'm going to hold off.

Anyone else got any information on this subject?

Eric I am still not sure that frame sequencing of frame numbers was not based on frame wheelbase. I have no knowledge of the production logic of the Dodge Bros, but it would be much more efficent to produce frames based on same components. The most important conponent would be the frame sides. It may be they set a number of 1000 120" WB to produce for example. Then the frames would be stamped in number sequence and that would be frames 115000 to 116000.

The other method would be to produce groups of frames and stamp them as needed.

The attached file shows my research for the "E" series Stockton trucks. I have limited information and like to get other examples. If I had more examples I could expand my Stockton table and complete a Detriot and Evansville tables.

I realize owners do not want any names of ownership attached to trucks and my table does not include that. If anyone has some more examples I would greatly appreciate them. Send me a private message.

post-113706-0-56927400-1453482760_thumb.

• Like 1