55 super kustom project

Guest Rev.chuck

Guest Rev.chuck

I picked this up 2 weeks ago. Taking it off the frame subframing it updating the driveline doing some rear quarter modifications bagging it

I need some parts. Passenger side door front quarter trim. Windshield ...

post-155831-0-98118800-1451926629_thumb.

post-155831-0-08053900-1451926653_thumb.

Guest Rev.chuck

Yes. You cut the frame off somewhere before the front body mount and adapt a newer front end on there. Something either already modern or easier to make modern.

Thanks for the reply

Doing that here in Australia would open the hugest can of worms when it came to licensing the car, but in saying that, my 58 buick is right hand drive and has had rather extensive chassis work to make the left hand drive steering box fit

It must be hard to get all the fender and bumper mounts ect to line up, be interesting to see how its done

Mick

I can tell you from experience that normally you can bolt the fenders to the cowl, then make brackets that finish the mounting of such. Not difficult for a metal man.

Bumpers are a bit more difficult, I mounted the orginal brackets to the front bumper, then with help of jack stands I slid this assembly up to the frame horns, and made solid mounts. This process took me less than half a day. I love to fab brackets etc, so fun challenge.

I wish you well, YOU CAN NOT TAKE ENOUGH MEASEMENTS, but since you have the dog house off, may be more work.

Dale in Indy

P.S. I install front and rear Vette suspensions on my Buick, 1941 Limited, send me a PM if you wish, and I will send build pictures. IF YOU WISH.

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Guest Rev.chuck

Windsof change. I can get a Camaro subframe convert it to disc brakes lower the front. all in half a day and a few hundred bucks. I get easily purchased replacement parts and alot stronger front end components.

I built a 62 oldsmobile a few years back and I ended up grafting impala bushings on the top gran prix bushings to the bottom caprice ball joints and spindles. It was alot of work. But I did it all for less then they wanted for 1 ball joint from rare parts and I got disc brakes from the deal.

Installing the core support will be the hardest part but won't be too bad

Guest Rev.chuck

Alot of work. I had to have the cross shaft milled. Took me 2 hours in the local oriellys going through bushings to find some that fit. Car drove nicer and stopped like a dream after though

Here's the car when I was finished

post-155831-0-44364500-1451967410_thumb.

post-155831-0-02461100-1451967434_thumb.

post-155831-0-94588200-1451967533_thumb.

Guest Rev.chuck

Well here it is. And I gotta tell ya for the first time in my life. I'm a little worried how low it's going to be in the front..

I guess all I can do is tie it all in and worst case un Z it a little.

post-155831-0-60546000-1452653389_thumb.

Are you dumping the factory power steering?  I might help you 'dispose' of those components if you are... ;)

Edit:

RATS!  I forgot that '55 PS doesn't fit '56!  (And 50 series wouldn't fit 40 series - I'm batting a thousand today.  I need more coffee.)

And I'm going to be in the STL area in a couple weeks...   :angry:  

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

Guest Rev.chuck

I am ditching all the stock steering I have the engine and transmission complete as well. Gimme 300 for all of it.

I need it gone. That said.

She's permanent now. Considering I don't have a frame table. I'm calling this a win. I'm going to plate the sides and top make it super strong. And then on to the back

Did I mention I have a good torque tube setup to let go of as well?

I do

post-155831-0-08522900-1452832258_thumb.

post-155831-0-72946900-1452832368_thumb.

post-155831-0-11059000-1452832394_thumb.

Guest Rev.chuck

It's too cold right now to be out there anyway. So I'm using the time to try and find the elusive passenger side door and front quarter molding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Rev.chuck

Been awhile I see,  last time I was here I couldn't find the topic.  It was.moved to this section, fits better here

How bout a ton of pictures.  Or just 3  as that is all it will let me post

20160511_182255.jpg

20160725_154226.jpg

20160726_175605.jpg

Edited by Rev.chuck (see edit history)

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

Wasn't aware of any limit on pictures.  Let me know if it happens again and the particulars of what happens when you try. 

Lookin good! 

There's a limit of 19.53 MB - obviously Speedo didn't set this limit, or it would have been 19.FITTY FO MB.

When I was trying to upload car show pix from my phone a couple weeks ago, I busted the limit.  I tried fewer & fewer pix and determined that it wasn't going to let me post any after busting it on the first try.  I gave up and made a post with no photos, then edited the post to add them after the fact.

1953.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Rev.chuck

I was trying to update with some pics. But it keeps telling me  the files are too big.

Sorry guys.   It's at paint right now.