Running board trim moulding

airbrushguy

• 2 weeks later...

Of course the door moldings are too short individually, but they are the same general contour as the running board molding, so we are going to try ourselves before paying someone else to - weld them to make a longer part and they polish them to shine and form the ends to a more proper point.  We have been successful so far with the metalwork on the car, so this should be a fun challenge.  We have plenty of extra side moldings to play with and if we cant get it presentable, I'll look into paying to have it done.  The side moldings are plentiful, so it's not like we would be messing up any parts of any value in trying it. 

Now, if someone had the proper moldings for a reasonable price that would be ideal, but that's not been evident so far.  And, I think this will be way better than not having them at all.  To me, those moldings really set the car off.

I agree with you on appearance. I am not having much luck finding a good piece of molding and I have thought of cutting off the ruined piece and welding on another but am hesitant after this last welding fiasco!

Please let me know the outcome of welding pieces together seamlessly.

Edited by airbrushguy (see edit history)

Airbrushguy,

You could try Northfield Forming and Machine in Canal Fulton, Ohio.

I found them in a google search.

Mike in Colorado

I have used Northfield Forming in the past, and can endorse their work - in fact they made the pieces for my (former) 1934 Buick which was awarded Senior Grand National AACA

post-97723-0-37064300-1452282209_thumb.j

post-97723-0-84518000-1452282258_thumb.j

post-97723-0-02344300-1452282270_thumb.j

post-97723-0-25732400-1452282290_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

I looked for the same item for my '39 series 40, for over 10 years, and all I found was one side, NOS, but had been bent in storage in a couple places. That was several years ago. I finally had the pieces made of "standard" rounded stainless, and while not original, much better than nothing, especially from ten feet away.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I know its going to be a long wait but I don't have holes in my new board rubber yet and I'm anal enough to keep waiting for the right piece. I know a Century is probably many times harder to find than a Special but this forum has been good to me in the past and I'm hoping it will be again.

Thanks

Have you checked with Dave Tacheny, 763 427-3460, he might possibly have a used one.

He has been suggested to me for many problems I have had locating parts. Each time, he has never returned my call.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a specific time that's better to call him?

Thanks

I need running board trim for my '37 Special. I have piece to use as a pattern. I am thinking of using aluminum bars I can buy at the hardware store and a router to home machine a set. Aluminum is easy to work with and machines easy. It also polishes pretty nice.

I need running board trim for my '37 Special. I have piece to use as a pattern. I am thinking of using aluminum bars I can buy at the hardware store and a router to home machine a set. Aluminum is easy to work with and machines easy. It also polishes pretty nice.

Cool, if it works let me know and I'll give you a job. Could be the start of a new business!!

On 1/23/2016 at 6:52 PM, 39BuickEight said:

I have spoken with Dave a few times. He says he has what I need, says he is writing it down along with my phone #, says he will call me back, and never does. Sounds like a very nice and helpful guy, but I can't get a

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I have been at Dave's place trying to get parts bought in person. If he had a buck for all the times he's spent time educating folks about correct parts they need and finding parts cars and taking things apart and managing parts and cars so Buick folks can have a nice clean part sent in a nice package without fighting for reasonable prices and dirtying their hands and dead end leads. It's a matter of perspective, walk a mile and then critize one of the few places you can find a vender this concerned that you get a correct part for these cars that are being crushed out everday for Chinese widgits like going to the #Seven-eleven store. Thanx for reading.

I did not criticize anyone. You must have read my post incorrectly, or quoted the wrong person. Anyway, we are off topic.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got through to Dave and he was very polite and personable, unfortunately he says he doesn't have any trim

pieces and doesn't have a suggestion for where I should look. 

His suggestion is that I keep looking and posting here because there are guys, he thinks, that have them but just won't

let them go.

If any of those fellas are reading this, I'd really like a chance to change your mind....I'm not getting any younger!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest outlaw car man

I guess you didn't get to Northfield Forming, right ? or did you ?

They did my 1933 Buick series 90, Seven passenger sedan, a rather rare car IMHO.

Fit perfect, odd size and fit too. Made the little correct fasteners too.

post-96975-0-14036000-1456284246_thumb.p

Edited by outlaw car man (see edit history)

I hope this helps. I found the running board trim mouldings at L&L ANTIQUE AUTO TRIM.  it was a lil pricy but ohly place that I found.  their phone number is 417-476-2871.. I am very happy with the results.  address is 403 spruce. P.O. Box 177. Pierce City MO. 65723

Ok I just looked up L&L Antique auto trim on the web and he has a website. Check that out. Looks like he has a list of his trim he offers. His dad made dies to build trim for his car because they could not find them anywhere. Thats how his business got started.... I am not sure why the phone is disconnected but try his email. blandoll@hotmail.com... again, hope this helps

• 1 month later...